Author Topic: fishing goals for the year  (Read 3846 times)

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: fishing goals for the year
« Reply #30 on: Nov 17, 2014, 09:39 AM »
My only goal this year is a 40"+ pike from Nebraska waters.  If I get wet I get wet.  I guess as long as I get in......hope I get out!

x2 - my goal is exactly the same 40"+ healthy pike (I wouldn't mind if it was in SD or NE)

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Nov 17, 2014, 09:45 AM »
My goal for this year is to get people out who have never gone ice fishing before.   Coworkers, neighbors, family, just anyone that thinks ice fishing is "grumpy old men".   I have a lot of people excited to go,  and some still skeptical. This is going to be a great season!

I love taking first timers!  I took my boss, his son (also my co-worker), and his 6 year old.  It was a blast.  Fishing in 6 FOW, and being able to sight fish was perfect for them.

Then I took my wife, on a bright blue day, 45*, no wind, but also no bite.  She was not impressed.  Oh well, that much less gear I have to buy I guess.

Offline nubrook18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Nov 17, 2014, 10:54 AM »
My goal is to, again, try new lakes and learn from them. Always love taking newbies but hate "sharing" my vex. I know selfish. It will be my lifelong goal to get the wifey out at least one time! Even my youngest daughter is hooked and can't believe she won't try it! As far as fish, never considered a mount, pictures are always preferable to me and like Showdown said, the expressions  in the photo are just as priceless as the fish itself. To each his own I guess. Good luck to everyone and I hope you all fulfill all your goals and stay safe!!

Offline icefreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Nov 17, 2014, 12:08 PM »
 :)Hello, I am a newbie to the forum. I have been lurking for quit some time. I really enjoy this forum. I live in south-central nebraska and have been ice fishing this area for about 30 years. My goal for this year is to have some wonderful times with my son and daughter on the ice. And to come home safe. I hope to learn how to use the forum and post pictures, etc. At this point I don't even know how to start a new thread or post.
Mark

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Nov 17, 2014, 02:06 PM »
Where are in south central Nebraska?

Offline icefreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Nov 18, 2014, 08:39 AM »
 ;D Roseland, southwest of Hastings.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Nov 18, 2014, 11:24 PM »
x2 - my goal is exactly the same 40"+ healthy pike (I wouldn't mind if it was in SD or NE)

I wouldn't mind dipping in the big waters on the river system up in SD.  There are definitely some big pike up there.  Might need a guide though.  I wouldn't know where to start.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #37 on: Nov 19, 2014, 11:38 AM »
I bought a second Lowrance last year. no more sharing a sonar  ;D

Offline floyd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Nov 19, 2014, 05:45 PM »
enjoy more good times and make more memories out at Sherman. Tight Lines!!!
Fish or not to Fish that's the question.....nah keep Fishing, Cheers.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Nov 28, 2014, 07:35 PM »
OK.  So at least a few of us on here posted some goals for the season.  My son accomplished our goal.  40" pike on the ice.  Preparing it for the taxidermist right now.  New goal.  Shooting for 45"+.  Somehow I'm kinda bummed to make that goal first trip out.  What a beautiful day with son and several friends.  Thanks eastwesterner for being so kind and putting the kids on a ton of gills and bass.  Long day and I'm pooped out, yet I wished it could go on and on.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline viasandhillgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Nov 28, 2014, 09:47 PM »

congrats Hardh2ofish Ihope you get your 45+ plus hopefully we have alots of months of ice. My goal is to top last year.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Nov 28, 2014, 09:49 PM »
My only goal this year is to be able to fish.

That's it, plain and simple!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline OpryIcin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Whither there is ice, that is where I shall be
« Reply #42 on: Nov 28, 2014, 09:52 PM »
My goal is to find hard water down here in Tennessee...  That's all I hope for.  :)

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Nov 28, 2014, 10:19 PM »
Thanks Viasandhillgill.  I truly wanted to not kill that amazing fish.  But it was either tear her throat apart or leave a #2 in her pucker.  I rarely hook them that way with the quick strikes I make.  But today was just one of those days.  And when you've been telling your nine yr old to hold out for 40"?   What are you gonna do?  I would rather celebrate a fishes life on my wall than let her die slowly and rot on the bottom.  There is no replica that could make me feel good about that. 

Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #44 on: Nov 29, 2014, 06:47 AM »
Very awesome h2o to hit a 40" slimmer on ice, let alone before the first of Dec. :tipup:

dc 

Offline viasandhillgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Nov 29, 2014, 08:12 AM »
I know what you mean H2O I felt the same way about my 47 musky. I do enjoy him every day just hope my next 40 is not caught so deep, but what away to experience the catch with your son couldn't be better. When I caught my Musky the first thing I did was called my son shared the experience with him. Justwished he would of been there. Cograts again hope to see you on Merritt soon.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Nov 29, 2014, 10:55 AM »
OK.  So at least a few of us on here posted some goals for the season.  My son accomplished our goal.  40" pike on the ice.  Preparing it for the taxidermist right now.  New goal.  Shooting for 45"+.  Somehow I'm kinda bummed to make that goal first trip out.  What a beautiful day with son and several friends.  Thanks eastwesterner for being so kind and putting the kids on a ton of gills and bass.  Long day and I'm pooped out, yet I wished it could go on and on.

:woot: Congrats brother!! Looks like I got some catching up to do on my goals  :)

So you were able to get into some ice action, how was the ice thickness? I checked Maloney and Fire Lake around NP yesterday...canals locked, outlet is locked...only some small open pockets and around the edges, should be real soon!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.