Author Topic: best ice line  (Read 1399 times)

Offline USAFicefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hooked Up
best ice line
« on: Oct 31, 2014, 10:36 PM »
What's everybody's favorite ice fishing line and lbs for the the big trout around here?

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: best ice line
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2014, 02:17 PM »
I think you'll find as many preferences as there are fishermen. I've tried just about everything over the years but right now for the trout in Antero and Eleven Mile I'm using red 10# PowerPro main line with a 6# fluorocarbon leader. I like the Cabela's house brand fluoro by Seaguar for the good value. I tie them together with a double uni knot. The failures I've had over the years usually come from poorly tied knots at the hook or leaders that have been nicked or frayed. It pays to choose a few really good knots and practice them until you have them down cold and you can tie them in 10 degree weather.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2014, 04:44 PM »
I use P-Line fluorocarbon...all light test.....4-6 pounds....easy to the....stretches a bit...P-Line in particular is very reliable

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2014, 01:30 PM »
I liked using the 6lb test flourocarbon. If you go to any of the bigger lakes that hold some trophy trout, you might as well up your 4lb line to 6lb line. I have seen a lot of those big guys snap off 4lb line which is heartbreaking.

Offline waterwhipper

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2014, 10:40 AM »
This can be a broad subject typically mono is stiffer in the cold and in the clear waters during ice season the mono is much more visible . Fluorocarbons are the key when fishing these clear waters. Seaguar makes a nice range of flor to use first is the Tatsu line super limp strong the highest end Floro out there but is very pricey . Then there is the InvizX  ,  40% softer very low memory not my choice for ice fishing but great for spinning reel open water the line diameter is small size 8 lb has the diameter of 6 lb mono . Next is the AbrazX line GRAET abrasion resistance small diameter 8 lb rated size of 6lb mono . This line is available from 2 lb to 25 lb and for me is my choice for ice fishing . A little on the high end of the budget but well worth it in my opinion. Then comes the Red Label  , once again small diameter as the others but 30% stronger knot strength , much lower in cost and probably the best selling line out of the line up. There are other Floros out there that work well Berkley Vanish , and tourney grade are also other nice koine but do not give the smaller line diameters that Seaguar gives.

Hope this helps some.

Offline NeFiShNeTiMe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2014, 06:54 AM »
look into damyl tectan. I believe fishusa.com are the only ones that carry it. I have used it in the east for everything and now I use it in the West for everything from trout to walleye.  :tipup:
Ezyjiggin101

Offline COlipripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2014, 01:17 PM »
I go with 6, 8, or 10lb fireline crystal as my main line with a P-line or other middle of the road 6lb florocarbon leader. Also landed pike with it but have also been bit off. No big deal. All part of the game to me.

It excels when fishing deep for lake trout due to less stretch. In shallow water when chasing Antero or 11mile bows, I set my drag just a touch looser for the hook set and then tighten it up once I feel what kind of fish is on.

I go for value over top of the line stuff and am satisfied with my catch rate.
Selective harvest works!

Offline TinyJigsCatchFishToo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2014, 05:00 PM »
I like spider wire

Offline Soclose2far

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2014, 11:16 PM »
I knew nefishnetime would get in on this post. He got me hooked on that line, I haven't used anything better!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.