Author Topic: New rod guide alignment  (Read 2225 times)

Offline Seabum17

• IceShanty Rookie
New rod guide alignment
« on: Oct 29, 2014, 12:53 PM »
I received my new ice fishing gear and almost everything looks great.  Safety gear, tackle, auger...
The rod is a 13 Fishing Wicked UL 27" and the two guides at the tip are kicked out 40 degrees.  Is this typical of $30 rods?
Does anyone have experience fishing with rods that have misaligned guides?
I have 60 days to return it so I'll have a chance to look around the shops to see what the local places are stocking.
Your thoughts and experience are appreciated.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New rod guide alignment
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2014, 05:07 PM »
I think you just bought a spiral wrapped rod.  ;D
Nice rods, guides aren't "misaligned"!
Puts the line where you want it towards the rod tip.
Never did figure out how they place the "spine", but I'm sure it's a non issue around here.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2014, 06:04 PM »
Interesting I was looking at ice rods today and saw a few like that, I thought they were defective? Guess its intentional.
Salmonemia

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2014, 06:31 PM »

http://www.rodbuilding.org/read.php?2,10610

Couldn't get a good link to come up on THT, but here's the best answer in that thread IMO, to help show why one would use a spiral wrapped rod. There's lots of info out there.

"Acid wrapped custom rods, don't cost more than a Normal wrapped custom rods....
Some Guys might charge $20-$40 more... But same parts...
the Striper guide and the next 2 are the only ones that are twisted....
Really a Big Fish thing, under 30 LB's not so much of a difference....
But everybody is different...
the Math says:
a conventional Rod will want to ROTATE when under Load,
the heavier the Load,
the more TORQUE to the ROTATION,
the more ROTATIONAL TORQUE,
the more your Fighting the fish & the ROD,
Ask the Guy's at Boomerang Fishing,
they will ACID Wrap a Rod for You at a Great Price,
and have ALL the A's to your Q's..... "

NOTE: the writer is using the term "acid wrapped" to describe a spiral wrapped rod. Not at all sure that, that is the correct terminology?

Offline Sodusitous

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That hole ain't gonna drill it's self !
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2014, 06:54 PM »
I could see it being spiral wrapped if it was a bait casting rod and reel. Cant see
point of building a spin rod for ice fishing that way? Not like casting accuracy
has any importance on hard water.

Me thinks you got a rod built by someone in a hurry. You can find too many assembly line rods
In stores with an eye or 2 out of whack. I inspect all mine before buying. Tough buying
rods online.
"More is lost to indecision than wrong decision"

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2014, 06:58 PM »
Here's (I believe) a link to the rod you bought Seabum?
Not sure why they don't spell out that it's spiral wrapped? Site needs a little marketing work IMO.
If you look closely at the far right additional image, you'll see that it is spiral wrapped.
If you type spiral wrapped rods in the search box on Wicked's site, pretty sure that your rod will show up.

http://store.13fishing.com/c/ice_rods_wicked?pkey=af620203cb0ef0c78c870e9375  

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2014, 07:08 PM »
I could see it being spiral wrapped if it was a bait casting rod and reel. Cant see
point of building a spin rod for ice fishing that way? Not like casting accuracy
has any importance on hard water.

Me thinks you got a rod built by someone in a hurry. You can find too many assembly line rods
In stores with an eye or 2 out of whack. I inspect all mine before buying. Tough buying
rods online.

I agree that a spiral wrap spinning rod may be a little over kill for ice fishing around here and not necessary.

In regards to the guides on the OP's rod being put on wrong, I respectfully disagree.
They do make spiral wrapped rods for ice fishing and I own a couple. Some guys who custom build their ice rods also build them with spiral wraps.

Google, spiral wrapped ice rods on the interweb and you should come up with some.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2014, 10:56 PM »
I have two St Croix utralight ice rods that are spiral wrapped... but the eyes spiral 180 for use with a baitcaster. I don't get the point of the spiral only going 40 degrees.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Seabum17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2014, 10:49 PM »
I didn't expect my question to go in this direction.  l'm learning something new everyday.
The local shops should start stocking rods soon.  I'm gonna keep my eyes open.  Maybe even compare the Wicked rod I own to another.
Rod recommendations for panfish and perch are always welcome.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 30, 2014, 11:59 PM »
The rod is a 13 Fishing Wicked UL 27

Your new rod should work just fine for pan fish & perch.
UL = ultra light. 

Offline Seabum17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 03, 2014, 12:19 PM »
I was over at Suds and Soda today.  Tim Moore of Tim Moore Outdoors was there, so I mentioned my rod guides. 
He told me guides get out of true on new graphite rods fairly often.  It has more to do with temperature than craftsmanship.  He suggested I warm up the rod and twist it back into shape.
Sure enough, set the rod under a ziplock bag filled with hot water for 15 minutes. Twist.  Fixed.

Nice guy.  Suds and Soda should be getting ice fishing gear in mid December.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 03, 2014, 06:40 PM »
I was over at Suds and Soda today.  Tim Moore of Tim Moore Outdoors was there, so I mentioned my rod guides. 
He told me guides get out of true on new graphite rods fairly often.  It has more to do with temperature than craftsmanship.  He suggested I warm up the rod and twist it back into shape.
Sure enough, set the rod under a ziplock bag filled with hot water for 15 minutes. Twist.  Fixed.

Nice guy.  Suds and Soda should be getting ice fishing gear in mid December.
So, what was twisted... The guide base or the rod? That's a new one on me.  :unsure:
Glad you were able to fix it, but how do you know it isn't going to happen again?

Offline Seabum17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 04, 2014, 02:20 PM »
It was the rod that was twisted.  The very thinnest part two guides from the tip.
My guess is it was in a hot transport container and settled in a twisted position.  I suppose it could happen again, but I know how to fix it now.  :) :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.