Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Vexilar Differences  (Read 1825 times)

Offline bryanl87

• IceShanty Rookie
Vexilar Differences
« on: Oct 27, 2014, 11:53 PM »
I am looking at buying a new Vexilar Fl-18 and wondering what the difference between the Genz and Pro Pack are? Is it just the depth reader, tackle box holder, and rod holder or is there more that the system does? Thank for the help!

Offline frmboybuck

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Vexilar Differences
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2014, 02:39 AM »
Same purpose..  The Genz pack has a grove on the bottom and sits on top of a 5 gal bucket. The pro and ultra will fit inside a 5 gal bucket. I prefer the propack

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2014, 08:00 AM »
Also, don't forget to look at the transducer on either pack. They can be different. Both packs are fine, but if you are looking at getting a soft case, the genz pack soft case is a lot better then the pro or ultra pack soft case. The main difference is like you stated, the tackle box and rod/pole holders. however you can get an adjustible transducer arm that works with pro pack &/or cup holder. (nice when hole hopping for your coffe/hot choclate) as for the depth reader it can be put on a genz pack.

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2014, 08:48 AM »
Having a soft pack of some sort is nice as well.  They make a softpack for both the genz pack at the ultra pack.  Keeping snow and rain off the headunit and all the other wiring was a nice feature of me.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2014, 09:07 AM »
I like the Pro and Ultra packs ..fits in a bucket for added protection  as opposed to the Genz box...got to see which transducer it comes with as posted earlier. A good case cover is a must ...I have the Trophy Angler one for my Ultra case... budget friendly. The head units are the same an FL 18 is the same unit in all three cases...same with the FL 8 etc.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2014, 01:55 AM »
Don't get the Genz box. I have one.
 Sitting on top of a five gallon bucket sounds great but it makes it harder to carry.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2014, 07:03 AM »
Agreed,  the Genz box is harder to carry.

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2014, 04:10 PM »
Kitty little buckets make great fish buckets as well!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.