New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Thought's on the polar vortex?  (Read 808 times)

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
Thought's on the polar vortex?
« on: Oct 26, 2014, 04:51 PM »
Polar Vortex to Return Early in the Northeast

While the fall will kick off with days of sunshine and temperatures above normal in some of the region's largest cities, including New York City and Philadelphia, the polar vortex may make its return for short, sporadic periods in September.

"The vortex could slip at times, maybe even briefly in September for the Northeast," AccuWeather Lead Long-Range Forecaster Paul Pastelok said. "There could be a significant shot of chilly air that comes across the Great Lakes region and into the interior Northeast sometime in mid- to late-September."

As conditions in northern Canada begin to set up similar to last fall, getting colder and unsettled quickly, it is likely that this pattern could become a source for colder air to make its way down at times into the United States, inducing a drop in temperatures for the interior Northeast during mid-fall.

"Temperatures will not be as extreme in November when compared to last year, but October could be an extreme month," Pastelok said.

After short-lived days of the polar vortex in September, the weather should turn a bit warmer in November as rain ramps up across areas from New York City to Boston and Portland, Maine, as well as the rest of the region.

"We will see some dry weather in the Northeast, barring any tropical systems, in September and October but in November it will get wet," Pastelok said.

Following a soaking November for Northeastern residents, El Niņo will make its debut early this winter, fueling early winter snow across the area.

"December could get kind of wild due to the very active southern jet stream that is going to provide the moisture for bigger snowstorms," Pastelok said. "The Northeast could have a couple of big storms in December and early January."
And so it begins........

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
Re: Thought's on the polar vortex?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2014, 04:52 PM »
I myself think that its going to be a good year starting early I can't wait
And so it begins........

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2014, 05:01 PM »
I just hope we don't get a ton of snow until we have good ice, the worst is when we get a lot of snow on top of an inch or two of ice
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2014, 05:07 PM »
Year its always terrible that is why usually when we get first safe ice I go out on it every time it snows with a shovel and. Shovel off most of the pond so it can still build ice
And so it begins........

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2014, 05:38 PM »
Calling for a warm week here for the end of October....high 50's to pushing 70*!
I agree with you Nate....hope we have good ice before a ton of snow!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2014, 06:34 PM »
The 10 day forecast looks good for the area around my house.  Next week looks better with highs in the low 30s and 40s and most of the lows are in the 20s with a few days of 30s.  I hope it holds true and keeps going that way.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2014, 02:17 AM »
I swear weathermen are all out of work politicians. Most can't predict yesterday's weather and they expect us to get excited about their long range forecasts?

There must be some way they make money off these guesstimates.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2014, 02:43 AM »
True story
And so it begins........

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2014, 08:22 AM »
I swear weathermen are all out of work politicians. Most can't predict yesterday's weather and they expect us to get excited about their long range forecasts?

Rg

Being a weatherman is the only job where you wont get fired for being consistently wrong
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline trundog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2014, 06:20 AM »

Rg

Good one RG

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2014, 08:18 PM »
I hope it comes back this year twice as strong and long as last year's.

Offline BuffaloIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2014, 09:32 PM »
A creed
And so it begins........

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.