The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Yellowstone River Icefishing  (Read 1873 times)

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
Yellowstone River Icefishing
« on: Oct 26, 2014, 01:51 PM »
I'm thinking between Billings and the N.D. border. I read a recent article on the pages of In-Fisherman ice guide about a guy who targets eyes, pike, and perch on tributary rivers. He prefers rivers that are 30 feet at the deepest scouring holes. Was wondering if anyone has some stone experience? Given the spectacular multi-species open water fishing, I bet an angler could do quite well if safe ice existed. P.M. me if you like or are interested in a scouting trip.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Yellowstone River Icefishing
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2014, 05:54 PM »
 Not a great way to die IMO, falling through into the current to be found (maybe) in the spring. Ice thickness in large rivers like the Stone can go from a couple feet to inches in a matter of hours as currents switch or be a couple feet in one place and two inches just a few feet away.

I know guys icefish rivers in ND (Red) and MN but they get weeks of sub zero and three feet of ice.

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2014, 07:22 PM »
I agree, ice fishing on rivers in Montana is spooky. Our reservoirs are bad enough. We lost a fellow sportsman last winter on Fort Peck.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2014, 10:49 PM »
Be extra vigilant, I've been through the ice 5 times and 4 times have been on rivers. But it can be amazing fishing. Just be extra careful.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2014, 12:45 AM »
There's no way I'd be out on a river trying to icefish. I'm to chicken & I really enjoy living - LOL.

Offline simmsiceteam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2014, 09:31 PM »
I read an article once, can't remember which magazine, but the gentleman stuck to small streams/rivers where he knew slack water existed in a pool.  That might be slightly safer, but still dangerous.  You could try that on a tributary, but with the ice on the Yellowstone it just continually breaks up because of the current making it very unstable. 

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2014, 10:41 PM »
I will stick to open water on the stone and lakes when they ice over. Not even close to worth the risk for me.

Be safe

Offline ND-PikeSlayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2014, 12:18 PM »
Hey DoubleHaul. We used to ice fish the James River (Jim River to the locals) in SE NoDak when I was a kid. It was awesome...caught a ship-load of pike. I was young, so didn't really know any better at the time. Looking back, I do recall a huge variation in ice thickness (couple of feet here, couple of inches there). The Jim is a really slow moving river where we fished it though, but still plenty of current. My folks fish on the Red River all winter long near Wahpeton, ND. Different flat-land rivers over there.
Scouting and safety would certainly be the key on the Jellystone in eastern Montucky, but I don't need to tell you that. I'm lucky to get out 5 to 10 times per season anymore, so haven't tried any rivers in this country. If I do - I'll share my experience.

Offline SimmsIceTeamNick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2014, 01:51 PM »
I agree, too dangerous even with scouting. That would be a bad way to go.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2014, 07:08 PM »
If I find a place this winter with safe ice, I surely will post my fishing report. Thanks for the advice fellas.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline Tacojuan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2014, 08:19 AM »
I've ice fished the stone and the next year a guy died in the same spot I was at. I know some people that live in fairview and they say people set up hard shelters on the stone down there. If I was to go out on the river again I'd go with someone who's done it plenty of times just for safe measure. Good luck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.