Author Topic: Camping in a pop up ice hut  (Read 9922 times)

Offline Glowjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Camping in a pop up ice hut
« on: Oct 26, 2014, 11:31 AM »
I just got a Quickfish 6it. It is the newer version with an insulated top. I had plans to use it for camping kind of like an outfitters wall tent during hunting season and also to camp out on the ice. Anyways, I set it up in the yard just before it started to rain. I left it set up overnight with my buddy heater and cot set up in it. In the morning everything was soaking wet... I am assuming from condensation. I left the vents open but had the windows shut. . I thought the insulated roof was supposed to prevent condensation. Maybe it isn't completely waterproof? My next plan is to bring it inside and dry it out then try it again with a tarp staked over the top. I am a little disappointed. Of course the main purpose for buying the hut is for ice fishing but I thought it would be great to camp out in, especially on the ice.  Has anyone ever had any experience camping out in a pop up? Thanks.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Camping in a pop up ice hut
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2014, 11:39 AM »
Bring lots of adult beverages... you'll be fine.
It must be something in the water.

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2014, 12:25 PM »
Set it up on a dry day and use a water sealant on it.  I know guys that have used the rustoleum never wet and say it works better than advertised.  Saw a guy stick his boot in the mud and come out clean.... crazy stuff.

It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2014, 12:36 PM »
Yes I have camped in my QF3 hub style... it actually works good. I built a insulated base/sled for mine and i have a cot for sleeping quarters. I learned how to post pics last night I will see if i can still do it...LOL!!!

Offline That Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2014, 12:39 PM »
Do it I wanna see the base for that thing!!

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2014, 12:40 PM »

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2014, 12:50 PM »
1 more photo in action!!! This was on a SW Iowa pond that has had a reputation for 15" crappies.... unfortunately no big ones on this day.....

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2014, 01:54 PM »
Any time you have an ignition source, a by-product is condensation. What you see is from your Buddy heater. Takes a good little fan moving air around to prevent it......and if you camp overnight in it, please use a battery CO detector. You saw how the condensation stayed inside, so will the CO. I'm not EVEN going to get into that one.  ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Glowjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2014, 02:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. That base sled is awesome shack man. I'm not sure where the condensation came from. I just had it set up in the yard overnight. I only ran the heater long enough to see how well it would heat up the shack maybe a half hour and I didn't sleep out there. Maybe it will be a different story once the temps are below freezing. That rustoleum looks interesting, I may have to try that along with a tarp. I have also been thinking of using a wood stove for dry heat. Thanks for the heads up Rebelss. I have already been researching battery operated co alarms.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2014, 02:38 PM »
Oops, my bad. I thought you meant the heater ran all night..... :wacko: Good work on the detector!
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline blasterfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2014, 04:46 PM »
Like the floor for the hub shelter! Think I'm gunna build one like that for my clam xl2000

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2014, 06:17 PM »
I broke the base the first time i got it out with snow on the lake due to the fact when I went to open it up it tried to sandwich the snow between the two halves. So here is what I came up with...
Both halves are still independently supported to help take stress off of the piano hinge but the snow caught between when flopping it open wont break off your ski runner. Just some food for thought in your engineering ideas. This is what it looked loke before I skinned the bottom with hdpe... :tipup:

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 26, 2014, 06:42 PM »
The grass in the yard is a source of water vapor as well.  As a Scout leader i can tell you that no matter what material the tent is made of a sewing machine pokes a gazillion holes in it during the assembly process.  Seam sealer is a must.

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 26, 2014, 06:46 PM »
I have a QF3 also. My understanding is that they're not completely waterproof in the rain. More important as a windbreak. That, coupled with condensation from the heater and moisture rising from the wet yard would add up to a wet tent.
Mike
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 26, 2014, 06:53 PM »
I have been wanting to build a floor for my clam summit, I want to use bed liner for mine to save on weight but it would take 2 bed liners to do it and being that im looking for free ones its not easy to find them when your looking for one so I may have to use plywood  for this year

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #15 on: Oct 26, 2014, 07:23 PM »
Great job Shack man Shoney! That looks very well made/designed. Ice folks are very creative.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 26, 2014, 07:42 PM »
Thank you royjulius!!! Ice fisherman are largely people of need. If we need it we just build it!!! lol!!!

Offline Glowjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 29, 2014, 11:16 PM »
I set it up again a couple days ago and staked a tarp over it this time. The tarp did the trick and everything stayed dry during the last couple days of rain. I also ordered a kni-co wood stove and I am going to give it a try as a hunting camp week after next.

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Professional Ice Guide, Tournament Angler, TV Host
« Reply #18 on: Oct 30, 2014, 06:28 PM »
Kind of late to the conversation, but the first time you set it up with the heater was it on bare ground? If so, the moisture is evaporating out of the ground.
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS
New England's Only Authorized Representative for SnoBear Vehicles!

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 30, 2014, 07:45 PM »
Like a tent, I would put a tarp under it.
-Tom

Offline lippy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Oct 31, 2014, 04:10 AM »
I have camped a few times with my 6x10 ice team pop up. it works great i use a tarp and a bradish for a floor run a Mr heater for heat leave the doors unzipped a little. i love camping on the ice and if u have to many beers no driving. bring on the ice.

Offline Cousteau

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2014, 12:44 PM »
Water vapor is a product of combustion.  Vent the shack a bit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.