Author Topic: How early???  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Johnnybasssss

• IceShanty Rookie
How early???
« on: Oct 26, 2014, 09:43 AM »
What's the earliest any of you have been on the ice in CT?

Offline That Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How early???
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2014, 12:33 PM »
I wanna say December 15 that was in 2010 we had a good start year I'm sure some got out earlier because I Remmeber the day I made it out someone else told me they had just gotten off Tyler lake and had like 6 inches so I'm sure guys were prolly out atleast a few days before me. I'd really like to be on about that same time again but unfortunately we don't control the weather so whatever we get is what we get

Offline pikemaned1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • go big or go home
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2014, 03:33 PM »
Thanksgiving week end

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2014, 05:00 PM »
I'll second Thanksgiving weekend.
Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2014, 08:46 PM »
We went out Dec. 15 last season close to home. I dont remember the earliest but before xmas is the target or its road trip time. I like the sound of Thanksgiving!!!

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2014, 04:48 PM »
I got out the last day in November last season, but November 23rd was the earliest I've fished CT ice. Got to fish Thanksgiving morning that year!

Offline metalfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2014, 06:30 PM »
I got out the last day in November last season, but November 23rd was the earliest I've fished CT ice. Got to fish Thanksgiving morning that year!

That would be bad ass! I am pumped and cant wait! So I would like the weekend before Thanksgiving!

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2014, 07:38 PM »
That would be bad ass! I am pumped and cant wait! So I would like the weekend before Thanksgiving!

It was awesome. I bet I'll never catch a 40" pike through the ice on Thanksgiving again!

Offline deerhunterkyle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2014, 08:33 PM »
i was out 2 days after thanks giving last year not joking. 3" of black thats the least I will go out on. the place I like to fish is for some reason significantly colder than any place within a mile of the water. I have heard stories from old timers being out before thanks giving. one guy I know in his 70's says he and his dad used to go to breakneck on Halloween night to ice fish when he was a little one. not sure how bad global warming has impacted cold weather but I think that's a load of bull.

Offline That Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2014, 06:03 AM »
I Belive it. Do some research back in the late 1800s Long Island sound would freeze over. I found a news paper clipping with pictures of guys riding horse and buggy to montauk from new London. I couldn't Believe it, I wonder how good the black fishing on bartletts reef would be through the ice lol

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2014, 06:49 AM »
Very cool you found a picture Carl. I don't have a picture, but my family operated a livery stable in Old Saybrook. My grandfather was born in 1900 and he told stories about taking a sleigh out on the sound a couple of years when he was a boy. As I recall it didn't freeze in one sheet like a lake, but rather you had to pick your way across pressure ridges where large sheets were in contact.

Flag up at Bartletts, Tog on! Now that would get you a segment on the news! :tipup:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that in the 70's we were on the ice before Thanksgiving. In recent times, last year was as early as I recall, right after Thanksgiving, then the usual thaw. ::)

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2014, 06:03 AM »
Thanksgiving is as early as I can remember around here.This yr everything seemed to be a few weeks late, leaves are still on the trees and all,There is some very cold air banked up north , its headed this way today.as water temps cool,it will not be long before you will be fishing on the ice. The wood stove is burning keeping it toasty in the house, Tonight all of Ct. will be below freezing. Be careful what you wish for. we could be in for a long cold snowy winter

Offline egriffin70

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ed
« Reply #12 on: Nov 02, 2014, 08:31 AM »
Last year , first week of Dec in CT.   

Offline jonnyfly00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 04, 2014, 05:28 PM »
Last season I was on ice in Farmington on Dec 2. Decent ice.

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2014, 12:26 PM »
Last year was one of the earliest in awhile. Did anyone in SW CT make it out around Thanksgiving locally though or was it all further inland?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.