The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Basically new to Ice fishing..and Hi...  (Read 1290 times)

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
Basically new to Ice fishing..and Hi...
« on: Oct 25, 2014, 12:58 PM »
Looks like I am going to have a little more time off this winter so trying to get back into icefishing after a long time off....I found this site and it is great......

I have started getting my Polaris quad ready and mounted a Digger Auger mount on the back...I just have to get the Auger off from Back order from Cabelas...I figured I would be the guinea pig and ordered a new Eskimo HC 40 propane auger...
I also ordered a new Hub shelter...A clam XL4000t....I totally underestimated it's size....It is huge and heavy in the bag... I have a medium sized Jetsled from before but I don't know if that will even hold it....How are you guys getting these hubs out on the ice??  I am kind of wishing I had bought a new flip over but maybe next year....I have a ATV gear rack so I may be able to mount it on there but that will put alot of weight on the back of the quad with the Auger and the Hub shelter sitting back there.....I have a plastic hood on my Sportsman with a small rack mounted on it but I don't know if that is heavy duty enough to carry 60lbs or so.....

I converted a Lowrance 5HDI I had over for ice fishing and have it set up with a ram mount to go on the quad and have the Ice setup for when it is dismounted...(ice transducer and power)

Now it is time to buy some rods... I have a couple of jigging setups with spinning reels and some of the cheap panfish rods with the plastic horizontal reels...I would like to get some of the inline type reels and some nice rods for panfish... I am a tournament Bass fisherman so I understand the reasoning behind eliminating line twist with Flourocarbon...

What would be some nice setups for inland panfishing and also jigging setups for walleyes??.......From what I understand the drop can be slow on the inlines so do I want to stick with spinning reels mostly.....I don't have a problem with buying a couple of rod setups for panfishing and a couple of more for Jigging walleyes......

Tipups..??? I don't have a clue....My father in law has been slamming Perch on tip ups up in the Alpena area but I haven't had a chance to see what they have been using...

So any help would be appreciated.....I probably should have asked before I bought the hub shelter but if I get into it hot and heavy this year maybe I can pick a flip over up on clearance in the spring and have both....Thanks...

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Basically new to Ice fishing..and Hi...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2014, 04:35 PM »
welcome to the site i use a soroc sport sled to get my shelter on the ice. it is the large one sold at holdens in milford michigan. soroc is a michigan made sled unlike a few other brands out there i think it is 59 inches long and wide enough to accommodate my gear .as for rods it mainly depend on what you like theirs tons out there i would just go to the store grab some  for what ever type of fishing you plan on doing. same with lures get two of each cause you can always figure out which one that pesky pike bit off and buy another... thermal tip ups with a quick stike rig steel tie able leaders i use tuff wire  from tuff lien xp. thermal tip up are the round ones also check out the book from infishermen called ice fishing secrets if you need a isbn pm me i found mine for $4 shipping included on half.com this will explain how to set up tip up etc... etc ... the book will.

beaver dam thermals are the best around if you need cheaper there are those i will find some names for you. the thermals prevent the holes from freezing as fast and prevent light from spooking skittish fish. 

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2014, 04:44 PM »
Welcome!! Sounds like you've got just the right stuff for great start!  Welcome from Minnysoda! ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2014, 06:44 PM »
Welcome to the Shanty ;). At the end of this past season, I purchased a Jason Mitchell thermal hub style shanty, & it is heavy. I usually fish w / a friend or 2, & we divide the gear up. When fishing by myself, I just tough it out  ;D. Hoping to be able to use my quad, more this year.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline IceinKzoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2014, 09:59 PM »
Welcome to Iceshanty from Michigan.

Offline pzoch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2014, 12:43 AM »
Welcome to the Shanty from Northern Michigan. ;D

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2014, 08:53 AM »
Welcome, I do a lot of fishing in your area maybe we can get on some fish.

Offline wingnut19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2014, 08:00 PM »
Welcome to the site and back to the sport!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2014, 07:45 PM »
Welcome to the site and good luck fishing.  You certainly are off to a good start with the gear you listed.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2014, 09:18 PM »
Welcome to the Shanty..Sounds like you got too much crap.. Get a bucket to sit on, some bait, a fishin pole and go fishin..

Offline FilletofSoul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • if its brown its down
« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2014, 09:54 PM »
I agree with bobber Bill, stay light and mobile.
But don't quote me on that. I have a drinking problem, I keep running out of beer. I've always been a little bit crazy, but its kept me from going insane.

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2014, 10:14 PM »
Welcome from Colorado

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2014, 05:34 PM »
Welcome from west Michigan. Sounds like you are off to a good start, may your hands be warm and your bucket full!

Offline BONECRUSHER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LOVE TO GET IT WET
« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2014, 09:18 AM »
welcome to the site i use a soroc sport sled to get my shelter on the ice. it is the large one sold at holdens in milford michigan. soroc is a michigan made sled unlike a few other brands out there i think it is 59 inches long and wide enough to accommodate my gear .as for rods it mainly depend on what you like theirs tons out there i would just go to the store grab some  for what ever type of fishing you plan on doing. same with lures get two of each cause you can always figure out which one that pesky pike bit off and buy another... thermal tip ups with a quick stike rig steel tie able leaders i use tuff wire  from tuff lien xp. thermal tip up are the round ones also check out the book from infishermen called ice fishing secrets if you need a isbn pm me i found mine for $4 shipping included on half.com this will explain how to set up tip up etc... etc ... the book will.

beaver dam thermals are the best around if you need cheaper there are those i will find some names for you. the thermals prevent the holes from freezing as fast and prevent light from spooking skittish fish.

I bought the same sled from Holdens last year, tons of room for gear and very durable

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2014, 08:19 PM »
I bought the same sled from Holdens last year, tons of room for gear and very durable

i guess we shop at the same stores lol's  by the way they dont got their ice gear out yet at holdens was there Wednesday and got a pepsi  and some thing to eat but yep it will be here soon...was looking for auger blades for my lazer i got Chinese blade on them and juts need one 8 inch pair i need for the one that i did not buy them for yet...   got most of my gear at holdens... it one of the finer establishment around for bait and tackle... mid west i think the minnows are yellow and fuzzy before they get out the door ricks is another place i hear about in whitmore lake but weather there  open still i dont know holdens is that much closer?     

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.