Author Topic: Newbie Gearing Up  (Read 3722 times)

Offline Seabum17

• IceShanty Rookie
Newbie Gearing Up
« on: Oct 25, 2014, 10:02 AM »
After not fishing in NH for 35 years I caught the fever this summer.  I'm not ready to give it up, so I thought I might give ice fishing a try.
I'm over on the seacoast, so most of my fishing will be for panfish in Strafford County.
What jigs are folks having success with over here?
What weight rod?  Would I use different tackle if I pony up $$ for sonar?
And the big question..
What would you never go on the ice without?

I've really enjoyed reading all the posts.
Thanks

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Re: Newbie Gearing Up
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2014, 10:13 AM »
Welcome to the site!! You might want to update your profile with your location so the it will be easier to answer your questions and you might be able to hook up with members close by!! Hope you have a great season on the ice!!!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Seabum17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2014, 10:54 AM »
thanks.  New to forums as well as fishing.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2014, 11:15 AM »
I should have added include state, unless you only plan on posting on the NH pages!! ;)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline SoDakdick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2014, 11:51 AM »
Can't go wrong with a ul rod for pan fish. As for jigs every body of water is different. I use Pk flutter fish mainly. Also a flashier is nice to have but try to find someone that will let you use Thiers. I can only day that because ice fishing is not for everyone. Most either are diehards or you can't get them on the ice.
Keep your stick on the ice we are all in this together.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2014, 11:54 AM »
Welcome aboard Seabum17 ...I carry light weight and medium weight rods as well as a good assortment of jigs and lures.... There are a few things I wouldn't go out on the ice without..... ice picks, a spud bar and electronics.

I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2014, 05:45 PM »
Welcome to the shanty. I like ultra lights for pan fish, PK has great lures that don't need bait and then an assortment of colors/sizes of jig heads for using bait (I like butter worms and meal worms). You can be plenty successful jigging for pannies without sonar but it really helps get you on their pattern and what they want much quicker. And as mentioned above... a spud bar and ice picks are a must have, especially for early/late ice and places you are not familiar with.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Sodusitous

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That hole ain't gonna drill it's self !
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2014, 05:53 PM »

What would you never go on the ice with?

KATHOULA (spelling ?) MICRO SPIKES
"More is lost to indecision than wrong decision"

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2014, 07:24 PM »
Welcome aboard Seabum17 ...I carry light weight and medium weight rods as well as a good assortment of jigs and lures.... There are a few things I wouldn't go out on the ice without..... ice picks, a spud bar and electronics.
Welcome
Yep, times three on the spud (ice chisel) (bang before you go) and pics (handle with spike (pic) on end for each hand) My favorites are the ones where the pics nest in the handles. They are attached with a vinyl? coil that hangs around your neck. WEAR them. I don't want to be digging through my pockets while gasping for breath on the way down the hole. Most all the tackle shops have them now or will soon.
The fellow that suggested the spikes, cramp on's, cleats etc is definitely on the money also. As to which kind... well, that's one of those Ford / Chevy discussions.  ;)

Offline Seabum17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2014, 10:49 AM »
Thanks for all the replies!  Safety first - message received.
this is my shopping list now:
No. 8 CGI
13 Fishing Wicked UL 27"
Berkley Floro 3lb
Clam Floating Ice Picks
Eskimo Bucket Chisel
Nils Cordless Auger
Assorted jigs and spoons

I already own crampons, assorted camping gear, warm clothes...

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2014, 12:57 PM »
Nice list ....you'll love the Nils cordless, I've had mine for three yrs now.  I use the Milwaukee M18 fuel with mine and have had zero issues.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2014, 07:42 PM »
Thanks for all the replies!  Safety first - message received.
this is my shopping list now:
No. 8 CGI
13 Fishing Wicked UL 27"
Berkley Floro 3lb
Clam Floating Ice Picks
Eskimo Bucket Chisel
Nils Cordless Auger
Assorted jigs and spoons

I already own crampons, assorted camping gear, warm clothes...
Yep, nice list. If you end up really liking ice fishing, your list will never end............. :( It's a nasty addiction!
One suggestion if I may? You might want a longer chisel than the bucket chisel? A lot of us will walk along (particularly on early and late ice) with sled rope in one hand and chisel in the other. Without bending over or dropping the sled rope, we'll take a few hard thumps with the chisel at differing intervals to ensure safe ice.
Good luck out there,

Offline Seabum17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Oct 26, 2014, 10:00 PM »
Thanks for the Nils recommendation PoolGuy.
Coffin Dodger, really appreciate the advice.  I dropped the chisel from the order.  I figure I'll take a ride up to KTP and see what they have in a few weeks.  If you're in Lee, NH we'll probably be fishing some of the same water. 

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 27, 2014, 09:02 AM »
Welcome to the site, Seabum!

These guys have you set up already, I just thought I'd say hello!  :)
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline Seabum17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 27, 2014, 08:34 PM »
Hey.
 :)
Looking forward to seeing what Swains Lake and the Bellemy Resevoir look like from the middle.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 29, 2014, 02:44 PM »
Thanks for the Nils recommendation PoolGuy.
Coffin Dodger, really appreciate the advice.  I dropped the chisel from the order.  I figure I'll take a ride up to KTP and see what they have in a few weeks.  If you're in Lee, NH we'll probably be fishing some of the same water.

Look for a Jiffy Mille Lacs 52" chisel.  I have the deluxe 2pc and love it.  The progressive cutting teeth fly through the ice compared to a straight cutting edge.

I could not find the deluxe on the KTP web site

http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/fishing-marine/augers-chisels/augers-chisels/jiffy-mille-lacs-one-piece-ice-chisel

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 29, 2014, 04:51 PM »
Look for a Jiffy Mille Lacs 52" chisel.  I have the deluxe 2pc and love it.  The progressive cutting teeth fly through the ice compared to a straight cutting edge.

Best chisel on earth!...or ice.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 30, 2014, 01:34 PM »
Yep, nice list. If you end up really liking ice fishing, your list will never end............. :( It's a nasty addiction!

So true , but a good addiction to have

Offline Seabum17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Oct 30, 2014, 10:56 PM »
Sweet chisel!
Maybe I can work a few extra hours and swing it.

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 30, 2014, 11:07 PM »
The one thing i wont go on the ice without? Besides the obvious things. Definitely a sonar of some sort. I prefer a flasher for ice fishing myself. I will fish open water occasionally without sonar, but I will not leave my house without a sonar to ice fish. Its just too helpful of a tool for the ice to not bring with me. Other than that, i love my tungsten ice jigs. Never leave home without them either. My favorites are the bentleys. They are overpriced, but I love them anyways lol. I do a lot of pan fishing.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 30, 2014, 11:15 PM »
Yep, Seabum, the Jiffy Mille Lacs......so easy, even a girl can work it.  ;)

Seriously, it cut my chiselling time in half. And it's pretty heavy, so it pretty much does most of the work for you. 

Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline lazyicehole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Oct 30, 2014, 11:28 PM »
One of the first things I stress to people who are new to fishing hardwater is boots.  Not as sexy as a new flasher or shanty but a good pair will keep you on the ice longer.  Just my 2 cents.

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 31, 2014, 12:02 PM »
^^^^^^ very true! After upgrading to mickeys several years back it made a world of difference.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #23 on: Oct 31, 2014, 12:20 PM »
You can never have enough stuff for ice fishing nor will it ever end however you really need to take care of the basics first.

My thoughts are:

First
Warmth: Boots (like mentioned above) with the highest rating you can afford. I personally wont go under -100F for pac boots or under 1200 grams for rubber boots. Both type of boots have their place for ice fishing.
Jacket and Pants (bibs) that are wind and water proof as an outer layer.
Good Insulation top and bottom.
Hat and Gloves.
Quality socks.
Get yourself so that you can handle the elements. Layers are always good so that you can change as you need too ie....if too hot, remove layers, if too cold, add layers.

Once those are covered (no pun intended) then:

A quality Ice Chisel. This is a proactive measure to stay on top of the ice. Ice picks are reactive after you go in....good to have too. Always carry your ice chisel with you and don't be afraid to put it hard to the ice with every step especially if you aren't sure of the lake or conditions. This will prevent you from going into the lake or lessen your chances.

Then the rest of the never ending gear for ice fishing: Sled, Rods, Jig sticks, Tip ups, Electronics, Portables etc etc etc.....you will never stop buying stuff for ice fishing. It's just the way it is but certainly invest in the basics first.

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Oct 31, 2014, 02:16 PM »
Good list Jiggin. So right about never having enough "stuff". Do you remember bread bags over your socks to keep your boots dry - your most likely too young!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Oct 31, 2014, 02:23 PM »
Good list Jiggin. So right about never having enough "stuff". Do you remember bread bags over your socks to keep your boots dry - your most likely too young!
How about 3 pair (or more) of wool socks inside 4 buckle overshoes??? ;)2 :whistle: :icefish:

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 31, 2014, 02:59 PM »

LOL, When I was younger and all money went into making my snowmobile faster the order was... socks then a bag then more socks then another bag then sneakers... I'm surprised I still have 10 toes
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Oct 31, 2014, 03:09 PM »
Kahtoola micro spikes and Eskimo ice anchors ...two items I wished would of been first purchases...would of saved a lot of time, money and effort if I would have... instead of trying all the rest .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #28 on: Oct 31, 2014, 04:03 PM »

Too funny!!! Brings back some ol memories.

Yes I remember...we used to save wonder bread bags just for that. That's how my grandfather taught me. My feet were soaked from sweating by the end of the day and then my feet froze! Soooo love the new boots of today.

ps: turned 50 this year!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Oct 31, 2014, 04:07 PM »
Too funny!!! Brings back some ol memories.

Yes I remember...we used to save wonder bread bags just for that. That's how my grandfather taught me. My feet were soaked from sweating by the end of the day and then my feet froze! Soooo love the new boots of today.

ps: turned 50 this year!
Youngster!! I have 20 years on you!! My feet get cold real easy anymore!! ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.