Author Topic: Searching out new waters for the ice season  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
Searching out new waters for the ice season
« on: Oct 24, 2014, 08:40 PM »
I been using google earth to search out new waters for the up coming ice season and boy did I find a couple of dandy lakes. Heres a pic of a nice 9.25 inch gill caught this week.
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline illinoisicer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Searching out new waters for the ice season
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2014, 09:01 PM »
and those would be __________ and ____________ ?

Offline guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2014, 09:33 PM »
any in far west subs ?

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2014, 09:43 PM »
1 is an abandoned farm with a nice size pond. Got permission from the bank -as long as I take the guy ice fishing. The other is a half finished sub division in the far south west burbs just talked with a local policeman and he said no problem just dont leave a mess and dont make yellow snow.

Offline ultraguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2014, 03:06 AM »
Ya better keep those ponds to yourself or one morning you'll find the ice full of people and all of their garbage laying on the ice. Nice gill though!

Poorboy

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2014, 06:54 AM »
Ya better keep those ponds to yourself or one morning you'll find the ice full of people and all of their garbage laying on the ice. Nice gill though!

Poorboy
You know thats right! Google earth is a great tool for searching out new waters and with the ability to go back in time you can see how old the pond or lake is !

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2014, 07:23 AM »
What ever you do. Do not tell anyone, wife, brother, or friend where these ponds are. If you do folks will be fishing them and leaving a mess. You will get kicked out. Don't ask me how I know about this. It is still a sore subject with me.  >:(
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2014, 11:02 AM »
What ever you do. Do not tell anyone, wife, brother, or friend where these ponds are. If you do folks will be fishing them and leaving a mess. You will get kicked out. Don't ask me how I know about this. It is still a sore subject with me.  >:(
I think many of us have been down this road before. The lakes will stay as secret as possible for as long as possible.

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2014, 10:58 AM »
I fish the smaller farm ponds in the small towns around west peoria. Fished the same ponds for decades. The guys I know are generally real open about where the lakes are and what the fishing is like. The other members are right though, there can be some real idiots out there leaving trash around the ponds. Two big pet peeves of mine: first, leaving old or broken off line on or near the lake, pick it up and throw it out at home or better still recycle it properly and second, leaving small fish on the ice! If you don't want to keep them, put them back! If the lake is over-populated take them home, leave the big ones to keep the gene pool in the lake. The small ones make the best fillets( depending on the species) in my opinion anyway. Lastly, pick up some trash before you leave, only takes a couple minutes and you wouldn't believe how much the owner will appreciate it!
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline illinoisicer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2014, 07:51 PM »
just like hunting grounds, go there and make yourself available when you aren't using their property. I cut and drag downed tree's, clean up clearings etc.... the biggest bonus I have is running the plow down their driveways without being asked, it goes a long way in building repour with property owners.

Offline 82

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2014, 05:21 PM »
I have access to one private lake. As of now it is by far the best fishing spot I have. No one else is allowed to fish it. I am a roofer and I was called to fix some shingles that blew off their roof. Once I seen the lake I offered to do the work for free. Best thing I could have done. Took maybe two hours of my time. I also plow the drive when it needs it. And have since became friends with the owners. I hope to fish this lake for many years to come. The only person I have ever brought out there is my son.

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2014, 07:26 PM »
I have access to one private lake. As of now it is by far the best fishing spot I have. No one else is allowed to fish it. I am a roofer and I was called to fix some shingles that blew off their roof. Once I seen the lake I offered to do the work for free. Best thing I could have done. Took maybe two hours of my time. I also plow the drive when it needs it. And have since became friends with the owners. I hope to fish this lake for many years to come. The only person I have ever brought out there is my son.
Sounds like a great find hope you and your son have a safe season and many great memories.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.