The ice fishing North Dakota board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Smitty Sled build- My Version  (Read 3814 times)

Offline NDiceMan72

• IceShanty Rookie
Smitty Sled build- My Version
« on: Oct 24, 2014, 08:19 PM »
Got my sled from Cabelas today!! Tomorrow I will be building my version of a smitty sled. I will post pics as it goes together. Still searching for a pair of skis for this thing. Here is a pic of what I am starting with-

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
Re: Smitty Sled build- My Version
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2014, 10:06 PM »
Nodak.   South be able to find skis somewhere - play it again sports - is where I found my first set for a smitty
Looking forward to seeing your progress

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2014, 10:13 PM »
Try the thrift stores.  That's where I picked mine up at for $15.

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2014, 11:36 PM »
i called the ski shops in my area and asked if they had any old skis they were going to throw away.   lol it costs them to get rid of them. i get them there for free!!!
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2014, 11:59 PM »
Got my sled from Cabelas today!! Tomorrow I will be building my version of a smitty sled. I will post pics as it goes together. Still searching for a pair of skis for this thing. Here is a pic of what I am starting with-

That is a nice looking sled.  Are the embossments that hold the buckets in pace pressed in from the bottom or is the bottom of the sled smooth?
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline NDiceMan72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2014, 12:02 AM »
I will have to check the thrift stores in Bismarck, everything locally doesn't have any.

Offline NDiceMan72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2014, 12:06 AM »
That is a nice looking sled.  Are the embossments that hold the buckets in pace pressed in from the bottom or is the bottom of the sled smooth?

They are pressed from the bottom and one of the ribs runs right through the middle of them. I'm pretty impressed with the quality of the sled for $40 it is a pretty heavy duty sled.

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2014, 12:39 AM »
They are pressed from the bottom and one of the ribs runs right through the middle of them. I'm pretty impressed with the quality of the sled for $40 it is a pretty heavy duty sled.

Looks like a great sled.  I wish I had a Cabelas closer to me.  I just checked on their website to see how much it would be to ship one and they tack on an extra 24.95 (8.95 + 14) for shipping because they add a surcharge for being a bulky item, making the total almost $65.  My old JetSled just starting looking better too me again.
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline NDiceMan72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2014, 12:58 AM »
Looks like a great sled.  I wish I had a Cabelas closer to me.  I just checked on their website to see how much it would be to ship one and they tack on an extra 24.95 (8.95 + 14) for shipping because they add a surcharge for being a bulky item, making the total almost $65.  My old JetSled just starting looking better too me again.

That's the same price I paid, except I had a gift card from work to use up so I only paid $20. Shipping charges are ridiculous.

Offline NDiceMan72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2014, 09:32 PM »

Not completely done yet but got a good start on it today.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2014, 09:51 PM »
are you pulling this by hand?

Offline NDiceMan72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2014, 09:54 PM »
If I do it won't be very far. Surprisingly it's not as heavy as I thought it would be. I may pull it a few times this year, but it won't be very far out from land where I fish. Next year I will have a snowmobile or 4 wheeler.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Oct 26, 2014, 06:38 PM »
That's a nice set up you have there.  If I was you I'd give it, inside and outside, a few coats of paint because OSB will act suck up water like a sponge and delaminate. 

Offline paperboy05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:22 AM »
I will have to check the thrift stores in Bismarck, everything locally doesn't have any.
Apparently I can't see the pics so I'm not sure, but did you find skis in Bismarck?

Offline NDiceMan72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2014, 09:57 AM »
Apparently I can't see the pics so I'm not sure, but did you find skis in Bismarck?

Yep. I did find skis in Bismarck. Was out at Audubon yesterday and it works great. Pulls easily by hand.

Offline paperboy05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2014, 10:08 AM »
Yep. I did find skis in Bismarck. Was out at Audubon yesterday and it works great. Pulls easily by hand.
Awesome, where did you find some? Last time I looked at the thrift shops they were expensive.

Offline NDiceMan72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2014, 10:12 AM »
Awesome, where did you find some? Last time I looked at the thrift shops they were expensive.

Boys and girls ranch by Kmart....they were the cheapest and had 2 more sets when I bought mine a month ago. They were $20 marked down to $10 for the set.

Offline paperboy05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 26, 2014, 10:24 AM »
Boys and girls ranch by Kmart....they were the cheapest and had 2 more sets when I bought mine a month ago. They were $20 marked down to $10 for the set.
Thanks, I'll check them out!

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2015, 09:36 PM »
I have the same sled.  Hate to say this, but garbage.  Extremely thin, wore a hole in the back end before 1st season was over.  Had a Jet Sled for 10 years prior to this, with no issues.

Yes, the sled is light, at the expense of durability.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.