Author Topic: Shiner Tank  (Read 555 times)

Offline jonnyrules15

• IceShanty Rookie
Shiner Tank
« on: Oct 24, 2014, 06:07 PM »
Anyone have trouble keeping their bait this time of year?  I may have started trapping too early.  I'm having trouble with my big pike bait (big golden pond shiners). They are starting to grow a white, fuzzy looking mold.  I've only had a few die but there are others with the same symptoms so I just took them out and back into the pond.  I've changed nothing from last year except being a little early.  Could the temp in the tank be too warm still?  Any thoughts or ideas are much appreciated.  Also, I'm using tap water but adding a solution from Petco to "make tap water safe," same as last year.

Thanks,
-Jon

Offline jellyroll44

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • may your lines be tight and your woman not so much
Re: Shiner Tank
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2014, 09:28 PM »
The white stuff is called "ick"... You can buy the drops to treat the tank at Petco... May need to take filters out to treat water... Easy fix if that is the problem...

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
Re: Shiner Tank
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2014, 11:36 AM »
Anyone have trouble keeping their bait this time of year?  I may have started trapping too early.  I'm having trouble with my big pike bait (big golden pond shiners). They are starting to grow a white, fuzzy looking mold.  I've only had a few die but there are others with the same symptoms so I just took them out and back into the pond.  I've changed nothing from last year except being a little early.  Could the temp in the tank be too warm still?  Any thoughts or ideas are much appreciated.  Also, I'm using tap water but adding a solution from Petco to "make tap water safe," same as last year.

Thanks,
-Jon

I just noticed the exact same thing on my goldens. Of course I noticed it on one of the bigger ones I trapped. I've been good about changing the water and not giving the bait much food at all.

I'll be taking a trip to the pet store in the next day or two.
Marking anything?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.