Author Topic: Black Betty 6061  (Read 10214 times)

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Black Betty 6061
« on: Oct 24, 2014, 01:17 PM »
I have a few questions about this reel as I can pick one up for $50. I thought I read that it has an instant anti-reverse. So with this, I could free spool my jig down 30ft or whatever the depth, and turn on the anti reverse, so if I set down the rod and a fish takes it, the handle won't turn backwards? I'm new to the whole inline reel idea, but love the concept for deep water suspended crappies.

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Black Betty 6061
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2014, 02:01 PM »
imagine it as a baitcaster.  free spool spin, which is adjustable just like a baitcaster. 

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2014, 03:57 PM »
For 50 bucks I would jump on it, I bought the 6061 and teardrop last year and love them both and I imagine you will too
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2014, 04:11 PM »
Are you guys using any backing similar to a fly reel with these inlines or just spooling up with straight ice line?

Catchin' Fish

Offline guthook1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2014, 04:40 PM »
I have a BB 6061 and have it spooled up with 10# Power Pro to a small swivel and then on to a couple feet of fluorocarbon leader.  Currently it is rigged with a small slip bobber that is removed when fishing deep jigs on Superior.
bestfishes - jim

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2014, 07:31 PM »
got two pline ice line on both awsome reels

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2014, 09:47 PM »
So if I reel my spinning reels with my left hand (hold the rod with my right) I should get a left hand model?

Offline BBQMAN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin I Was Fishin
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2014, 09:52 PM »
They are reversible I have two of them and love them. I reel with my right hand.
My Daddy always said keep it simple stupid. Words to live by

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2014, 09:55 PM »
I just found out that it is last years model and not the new one for this season. Do you guys still think it would work well with 4-5mm tungsten jigs for crappies in 30-40 fow? And where I found the reel, the only have the right hand model left. So I can switch it for sure?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2014, 10:23 PM »
I just found out that it is last years model and not the new one for this season. Do you guys still think it would work well with 4-5mm tungsten jigs for crappies in 30-40 fow? And where I found the reel, the only have the right hand model left. So I can switch it for sure?

yes will work well. yes is reversible, the 2014-15 model out this year has the gaurd on back for those who pencil grip and is not reversible. I bought two that reeled on the left side, switched to reel on right side. easy to do.

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2014, 10:41 PM »
Ohh alright, so the one that isn't is the one on their website

and all of the other ones are? I just read online that some are and some aren't.

Just to make sure, the one in this link is the one I can switch?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/201149180767?lpid=82

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2014, 10:55 PM »
The black ones you can switch, the new silver ones you can't.

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2014, 11:30 AM »
I ended up ordering, and all said and done it came to $46 and some change, which I feel was a pretty good deal for a new one.  Are there any quirks to this reel or anything I need to know about it before I use it?

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2014, 08:29 PM »
you will really like this reel.  I bought 2 of them and they worked well all season.  Biggest fish I caught was a 17 in largemouth on 1 lb test on the reel and the drag worked flawlessly.  Several of my friends that I fish with went out and bought some of these reels. 

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 29, 2014, 09:13 AM »
If you can't or have trouble switching the reel from right to left or vice versa just send an email to 13 fishing and explain your situation... I tried to switch mine over last year but had trouble getting the bearing out so I emailed them to which I got an immediate response. They told me to mail my reel to them and they would send me a new one for the side I wanted... real fast turn around too as it only took about 10 days from when I sent it to when I got it back... great customer service and as the guy I spoke with stated, they hold customer service as a number 1 priority which isn't the case for some companies now a days.
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #15 on: Oct 29, 2014, 03:24 PM »
Here is a link to the video on how to switch the retrieve of the Black Betty 6061: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgceJ4Bjxsk

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 29, 2014, 03:43 PM »
Thanks for sharing the video MN Bassfisher.

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #17 on: Oct 30, 2014, 08:37 AM »
Thanks for sharing the video MN Bassfisher.
No problem! I actually just bought a Black Betty 6061 from GM. The left handed model was backordered and the right handed model was available so I will be following the instructions in that video.

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 30, 2014, 04:17 PM »
Thanks for the link! I'm doing the same. Bought two right handed models and am going to switch them over. I thought about back ordering a lefty, but then thought that if they are last years model, they probably won't even get more in!

Offline Cali009

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 30, 2014, 04:32 PM »
I freaking love my Black Betty 6061. the only thing ti watch out for is putting git in a rod case. the frabill case is a little low in height after laying the rods in. so you end up putting  a slight bend in the handle.

I will be getting  a few more reels like this 100% might change all rods to this reel. just give the two eagle caw ones a try and the No8 tackle (13fishing sister brand)

the HT one even looks ok
best long underwear on the planet

!* AIRBLASTER *!

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 30, 2014, 05:37 PM »
If no one hears from me tomorrow it's because my wife killed me. For $50 and 10% off I ordered the BB 6061. Sounded to good to be true. For once it was true. That and I reel right handed.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Oct 31, 2014, 06:23 AM »
Tmuskie, if she kills you, can i have the 6061,s, since you won,t need them? also, don,t take this personal, but could you post a pic? ( OF THE NEW WIDOW, NOT THE REELS, i,m a widower myself, ,n, always up for consoleing the newly bereaved). joking, buddy, joking. LOL wire

Offline nickeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 02, 2014, 01:43 AM »
just picked mine up today have no clue how to use it

Offline evers21g

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 02, 2014, 01:53 AM »
Yup...I ordered a second one tonight after mine showed up today.  Way nicer than I anticipated.  One right handed (showed up today), and the one coming will be left handed.  Which hand i reel with and jig with has never been an issue for me. 

Offline jho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 03, 2014, 11:06 AM »
I just ordered one today too. It says its on backorder. Hopefully they can get them back in stock and dont cancel the order. I guess well see. Ive never used an inline reel but this seemed like a good deal from what ive heard. Any thoughts from inline users would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 03, 2014, 08:36 PM »
Tmuskie, if she kills you, can i have the 6061,s, since you won,t need them? also, don,t take this personal, but could you post a pic? ( OF THE NEW WIDOW, NOT THE REELS, i,m a widower myself, ,n, always up for consoleing the newly bereaved). joking, buddy, joking. LOL wire

She's got shoes I got Tackle. Everything is cool.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline jho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Nov 04, 2014, 09:03 AM »
Update. Just got a call from gander mountain and the 6061 reel i backordered is now sold out and wont be back in stock. I was too late. I knew the deal was too good to be true. Hope my ice fishing season doesnt mirror my first purchase of the season or what i thought would be my first purchase. Oh well.

Offline Retiredbum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 04, 2014, 05:37 PM »
I bought one this year , Its a silver model, It feels nice on the rod I have it on,  Hope to catch some trout this year. I noticed line on spinning reel would freeze up. Hope its better, For that.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #28 on: Nov 04, 2014, 06:28 PM »
I bought one this year , Its a silver model, It feels nice on the rod I have it on,  Hope to catch some trout this year. I noticed line on spinning reel would freeze up. Hope its better, For that.

Different lines will freeze up worse then others. Try different ice lines to get less freeze up. The nice thing about the inline is you can reel up the line with ice on it if the guides are big enough. However be careful. The ice on the line can freeze together on the spool causing some reel issues.

Offline moosehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 05, 2014, 03:11 PM »
They have them in stock at the store for this price. If its not too far a drive.

Update. Just got a call from gander mountain and the 6061 reel i backordered is now sold out and wont be back in stock. I was too late. I knew the deal was too good to be true. Hope my ice fishing season doesnt mirror my first purchase of the season or what i thought would be my first purchase. Oh well.
"I used to lose my temper in arguments, until someone told me, 'Cooler heads prevail.'
Thus began my collection in the basement freezer."

[IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/MattGski/teammittencopy-2.gif[/img ]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.