The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: question on michiagn law?  (Read 776 times)

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
question on michiagn law?
« on: Oct 24, 2014, 02:36 AM »
if were aloud three line/s  per person what is a down rigger counted as? i have seen guys running three rods and two down rigger all the time on the west side of the state. but i was talking to my buddy form the east side of the state that said it not legal whats your guys thought on this matter? any ways thanks for any input on this matter you can give. i would be thinking no hook on it not counted as a line but what is it counted as? since the rules don't say any thing about down riggers? whats your thoughts on this topic?   

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: question on michiagn law?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2014, 05:38 AM »
When your spearing pike in a shanty and you have tip ups out you can still have a decoy down with out hooks and it's not counted , so I would say as long as there are no hooks it's not counted as a line.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2014, 12:53 PM »
When your spearing pike in a shanty and you have tip ups out you can still have a decoy down with out hooks and it's not counted , so I would say as long as there are no hooks it's not counted as a line.

good answer thank you! i e-mail the Michigan dnr last night just to be safe and that is exactly what they said  no hook on line do not count as  a line.  the hole reason i ask is my buddy said it was counted as a line.. thanks for the info guys!   

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2014, 03:12 PM »
A downrigger is a tool to get your lures to a certain depth (I usually have 2 lures on each rod). You are allowed 3 rods, w/ 2 lures on each rod. No more than a total of 6 lures, on those rods. Multiple hooks on a lure, count as 1 lure. If you so choose to do so, you can put 6 lures on 1 rod & still be legal ! Just don't use any more rods. If you are smelt fishing, you can use as many hooks as you want,... on 1 pole (in recognized smelt waters). Keep in mind, if you are smelt fishing w/ say 15 hooks (me), & you catch something other than a smelt (pike) , you must release it (me again), or you are in violation of the law.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2014, 03:33 PM »
the law is not clear on what is what and not aloud it's  like planer boards/ planner mast equipment and the down riggers is not even in the book so how do you know if it is legal or not?  that and what is legal to do off the planner boards and down riggers? there just to much of this stuff and not enough info at least they got a web site ability to ask question now...  as the old joke goes.    Question: what has five balls and always screws you? Answer: lotto  lol's then of course lotto is government ran go figure...  lol's so in other words government is like the lotto it has five balls and always screws you ;D.

any how thanks guys for the info....

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2014, 06:16 PM »
A downrigger is a tool to get your lures to a certain depth (I usually have 2 lures on each rod). You are allowed 3 rods, w/ 2 lures on each rod. No more than a total of 6 lures, on those rods. Multiple hooks on a lure, count as 1 lure. If you so choose to do so, you can put 6 lures on 1 rod & still be legal ! Just don't use any more rods. If you are smelt fishing, you can use as many hooks as you want,... on 1 pole (in recognized smelt waters). Keep in mind, if you are smelt fishing w/ say 15 hooks (me), & you catch something other than a smelt (pike) , you must release it (me again), or you are in violation of the law.

This is the correct interpretation of the legal method.........as stated a down trigger is just a tool and has no bearing on hook and line quota.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.