Author Topic: Where would you plan a trip?  (Read 2001 times)

Offline evers21g

• IceShanty Rookie
Where would you plan a trip?
« on: Oct 23, 2014, 03:14 AM »
Just curious what everyone thinks about booking a weekend trip somewhere.  Where would you go and why?  Past experiences, sleeper vs staying in a cabin/hotel, ect.  Haven't ever taken a trip and looking into taking a few this year.  Mainly looking for good walleye and perch fishing.  Crappie is my favorite, but seems most guide services are aimed more toward walleye and perch.  Considering a trip to Devils Lake.  where else would you guys suggest?  Thanks for the input.

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Where would you plan a trip?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2014, 05:02 AM »
Where are you starting from? If you are talking a weekend trip, you probably don't want to travel across the country.

Dave

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2014, 05:31 AM »
You should really look into Upper Red Lake. Or the Lehr Lakes area of North Dakota.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2014, 05:40 AM »
Just curious what everyone thinks about booking a weekend trip somewhere.  Where would you go and why?  Past experiences, sleeper vs staying in a cabin/hotel, ect.  Haven't ever taken a trip and looking into taking a few this year.  Mainly looking for good walleye and perch fishing.  Crappie is my favorite, but seems most guide services are aimed more toward walleye and perch.  Considering a trip to Devils Lake.  where else would you guys suggest?  Thanks for the input.
As SkiSoloII asked, where are you starting from?? Update your profile with your location, and we'll have a better idea how to answer your question!! Thanks!!
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2014, 06:03 AM »
My trips this winter are lake gogebic and might end up going to simcoe too

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2014, 06:46 AM »
Simcoe would be my destination of choice if it were within range. 

Offline evers21g

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2014, 09:59 AM »
As SkiSoloII asked, where are you starting from?? Update your profile with your location, and we'll have a better idea how to answer your question!! Thanks!!
Sorry guys. Forgot that might be a key piece of information. Cedar Falls Iowa is my starting location. 3 day weekend trip is the plan. Friday saturday sunday.

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Professional Ice Guide, Tournament Angler, TV Host
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2014, 11:03 AM »
Last season I had a couple from Dallas Texas book a three day trip with me to come Smelt fishing! Stayed overnight in the snobear fishing all night, set up tip-ups during the day soaking for pike while they slept. Put Blue Tips on the flags so the phone in the bear would ring when they went off.

A great weekend landing over 800 smelt in two evenings of fishing and three nice pike! 

You never know what people are expecting to catch and what makes them happy'
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS
New England's Only Authorized Representative for SnoBear Vehicles!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2014, 11:38 AM »
I run up to NE Wis for my weekend trips.

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2014, 12:15 PM »
how far are you from webster, sd.? can fish waubay, bitter, enemy swim in 1 wkend. least thats my plan for this season. i don,t give a da*n if i have to sleep in the jeep.  lol wire

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 2014, 12:43 PM »
^ That's exactly where I'd go, reasonable drive for us Iowa folks and good fishing

Catchin' Fish

Offline drfhaha123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 23, 2014, 12:58 PM »
I would love to try a spring vacation for last ice on lake of the woods.

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 23, 2014, 01:40 PM »
 LOTW in mid March for monster pike.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 2014, 01:47 PM »
LOTW in mid March for monster pike.

2X and thats just what I'm doing this year staying with lion head sleepers for 3 nights!!
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline Duckbutter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2014, 02:06 PM »
No question, Cascade Lake in Idaho. Incredibly large jumbos popping out of that place.
Part time dentist, full time father and fisherman

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 23, 2014, 02:42 PM »
2X and thats just what I'm doing this year staying with lion head sleepers for 3 nights!!

Good luck! Make sure to post some pictures.

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2014, 03:31 PM »
I'm all about Devil's Lake in ND. Woodland Resort has everything you need.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 23, 2014, 06:02 PM »
Pay big bucks to go to Devils lake. Or go to the Lehr lake area and catch fish. For much less? Walleyes , pike, large perch , plus sunfish, and crappie. Its up to you,
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 23, 2014, 06:20 PM »
I would start with 3 destinations:
1. Lake Erie-would love to land some nice walleye's
2. LOW for more walleye
3. Devils Lake -I know but would just like to cross it off the ice bucket list.
Of course deciding factor would be-- ice baby ice!!!!
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 23, 2014, 07:44 PM »
If no one has an OWI in the group. Lake winnipeg in canada. Its the best shot at a 10lb 30in+ walleye. If someone has an OWI Upper Red is hard to beat for good numbers and decent size walleye. If your perch guys, Devils lake ND is good, but Bitter Lake in SD has the size and numbers......plus its much closer. Both have those shrimp inthe lake that grow football perch.

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Oct 23, 2014, 09:15 PM »
Wanting to make a trip to webster, SD and Mobridge.  Would like to make a trip to Glen Elder Kansas.   

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #21 on: Oct 24, 2014, 08:43 AM »
I would love to try a spring vacation for last ice on lake of the woods.

I fish out of Zipple Bay, US waters.

Offline evers21g

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Oct 24, 2014, 07:20 PM »
If no one has an OWI in the group. Lake winnipeg in canada. Its the best shot at a 10lb 30in+ walleye. If someone has an OWI Upper Red is hard to beat for good numbers and decent size walleye. If your perch guys, Devils lake ND is good, but Bitter Lake in SD has the size and numbers......plus its much closer. Both have those shrimp inthe lake that grow football perch.
Thanks for the info.  I mapquested both Devils Lake and Bitter Lake, and Bitter Lake was 9 hrs 5 minutes.  Devils Lake is 9 hrs 20 min.  Leaning toward heading up to Devils Lake and giving that a whirl.  Canada is a must some day.  Thanks for all the tips guys.  really appreciate it.  Any info on who to get ahold of at these locations you are sharing would be appreciated as well.  Sleeper houses would be preferred...but not a deal breaker. 

Offline evers21g

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Oct 24, 2014, 07:32 PM »
I fish out of Zipple Bay, US waters.

That's a damn nice catch.  looks like i'm going to have to do Devil's Lake and Lake of the Woods. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #24 on: Oct 24, 2014, 10:39 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I mapquested both Devils Lake and Bitter Lake, and Bitter Lake was 9 hrs 5 minutes.  Devils Lake is 9 hrs 20 min.  Leaning toward heading up to Devils Lake and giving that a whirl.  Canada is a must some day.  Thanks for all the tips guys.  really appreciate it.  Any info on who to get ahold of at these locations you are sharing would be appreciated as well.  Sleeper houses would be preferred...but not a deal breaker.

If you are looking for sleeper shacks, it's hard to beat The atmosphere at Upper Red, if your looking for big pike and waldos. This was from upper red 47in. biggest I had ever seen. We do a yearly trip through Chad Bensen every year around 20th of Dec. Never been disappointed. Usually when were up there some group catches a pike close to 40. Once we step in the shack, were on the ice for three days & nights straight. Bite occurs all night, and depending on the type of day sometimes all day. We always talk about lake of the woods, but Upper Red has just been phnomenal for us. We always talk of going up and hitting Winnibigosh for perch one day of the trip, but it never seems to happen. One guy in our group has walleye fever.  If your set on Perch I'd go to either bitter, Devil's, or winnibigosh. If your looking for walleye, Lake of woods or Upper Red can't be beat. If your wanting the best sleeper shack city experiance Upper Reds a good choice with a great night bite. If you have little to no snow on the ice with a full moon on upper red, have a chit load of minnows on hand. You'll actually get sick of catching walleye. Whatever you do, you can't go wrong with the lakes you mentioned. Just DO NOT GO TO MILLE LACS its having problems.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Oct 24, 2014, 11:39 PM »
 I would love to hit Devils Lake, LOW, Erie, Winnibigosh and especially Green Bay but work, financial and family commitments will keep me in state again this year. Trying to plan 3-4 days on early ice at the Gaps on the Western Slope this year.  Perch, Pike, Tigers and Trout.  It's been 35 years since I caught a Musky on a Beaver Dam back in Wisconsin.  I would like to do it again here in CO.  I would REALLY like my 11 year old son to catch one on a vintage BD I've recently restored. 

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 25, 2014, 01:29 AM »
If you have three days you don't want to drive for two of them. Pick a lake 3 hrs away. Fish it for 3 days and come away with helpful knowledge for the next time. Good luck
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Sikaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's all about the angle of the dangle!!
« Reply #27 on: Oct 25, 2014, 03:57 AM »
Bay of Quint
I really want to spend a long weekend there.
If anyone spends time here , and wouldn't mind sharing some tips with me I'd appreciate it.
I don't know the first thing about this lake other than it gives up huge eyes!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #28 on: Oct 25, 2014, 09:32 AM »
If you have three days you don't want to drive for two of them. Pick a lake 3 hrs away. Fish it for 3 days and come away with helpful knowledge for the next time. Good luck

The way we get around that is we leave for the trip in the middle of the night and take shifts driving/sleeping.

Offline evers21g

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Oct 26, 2014, 12:05 AM »
The way we get around that is we leave for the trip in the middle of the night and take shifts drving/sleeping.
Same here.  We get off work at 1am, so we would head out straight from work.  no worries on shifts driving as i have plenty of experience driving 19 out of 22 hours to Vegas.  lol. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.