Author Topic: Cam Strap Length for Hub Shelter ?  (Read 733 times)

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cam Strap Length for Hub Shelter ?
« on: Oct 22, 2014, 08:41 PM »
I have a question for those of you using hub shelters.  I sold my Scout TC flip shelter last spring and am going to get a hub shelter this year.  My plan is to throw away the chincy straps they give you for anchoring from the hubs to the ice and buy some 1" cam straps.  My question is what is the best length to get?  I've seen some good deals on 4 packs of 6' straps but that seems a bit short to me.  Maybe having them longer to get more scope, less angle on the anchor line might be better?  What are you folks using?  Thanks in advance.
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
Re: Cam Strap Length for Hub Shelter ?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2014, 08:51 PM »
A 6' strap will be fine, all you want to achieve is to hold the hub from popping inward from the wind. You do not need to pull on the hub, your shack will be secured by the corner anchors.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline gonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2014, 08:56 PM »
If you are worried about them being too short buy some longer ones.  On your first trip out you can measure them and cut them to length.  Once you cut the straps heat the ends with a lighter to prevent them from fraying.  Should be good to go then.

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2014, 09:09 PM »
   6' works well, the longer they get the easier it is to trip over them.
John

Offline Sodusitous

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That hole ain't gonna drill it's self !
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2014, 09:10 PM »
I estimate that side anchor ropes on my hub get anchored approximately 3-4 ft from the shelter. I too replaced the cheezy strings, but with some neon orange 550 paracord.

And no, this doesn't prevent me from tripping at least once a day on the anchor ropes.
"More is lost to indecision than wrong decision"

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2014, 09:18 PM »
If you are worried about them being too short buy some longer ones.  On your first trip out you can measure them and cut them to length.  Once you cut the straps heat the ends with a lighter to prevent them from fraying.  Should be good to go then.

Good point.  Thanks all...
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2014, 06:09 AM »
Since I'm a canoeist, and cam straps are standard to tying down the boats on car roofs, I have lots of them.  I use 12' straps on all four sides, and when some of the 50+ mph winds have come up, I feel pretty secure with that strap angle.
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2014, 07:18 AM »
I would think the shorter the tie down the better ...like with a flip over shorter anchoring is better ...less movement also helps to be shorter during shifting wind direction(s) . With a longer strap/rope/tie down think the wind could have a tendency to lift the windward side of the hub . PS get Eskimo anchors ...lil pricey ...but will screw into the ice with ease and no tool required ... one of my best investments of last season 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2014, 08:19 AM »
I use 6' cam straps.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2014, 09:08 AM »
I use 6' cam straps.

2x and 2x on the Eskimo anchors they are awesome my QF3 came with 6 and I ordered 2 more to anchor all corners and all 4 hubs. Its been in some serious wind and never lets me down.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 2014, 09:39 AM »
Thanks for the input here guys! I just got the Eskimo 949i, and one of the first things I was concerned about was windy conditions and the support strings that came with it...I'll use straps......easy on and off with gloves on I'd imagine as well.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #11 on: Oct 23, 2014, 10:49 AM »
You bet they are easy and they are dual purpose. I usually have my sled packed to over flowing and use them to secure it all down. 9.99 for 4 buckle straps at harbor freight.
Your going to love that shack the taper on the bottom gives you a place for gear and heater out of the usable fishing space. The only thing I can say is the eyes for the anchors on the bottom are weak and can pull out. I had 3 give out last season it was on sodus at the ice proam the wind was sustained 35 and gusts to 60 both days...
Thomas Harris

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Oct 23, 2014, 11:50 AM »
Thanks for the heads up NYSporty.....winds like that would surely test the limits of both you and your equipment!!
Not to hijack thread, did you come up with a remedy to fix that problem?

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 2014, 12:05 PM »
Thanks for the heads up NYSporty.....winds like that would surely test the limits of both you and your equipment!!
Not to hijack thread, did you come up with a remedy to fix that problem?

Yes I'll dig up the pics and explain it.
Thomas Harris

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2014, 12:24 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #15 on: Oct 23, 2014, 12:37 PM »
I have a bunch of harness that come with deer stands I buy. I cut 4 chunks off one of the straps with a hot knife so it don't fray out on the ends. Then I made a hole for the new grommet with the hot knife in an X patern, put the grommet in and pounded it on the new webbing. Then a hot nail made holes around the edge of the new and old webbing to attach it. This webbing is allot better than what was on there and has been back out in high winds a few more times after the fix and held up well.
PS. if you have a crust on the ice pound it out where your anchor is going or when you get to the crust the lip on the anchor will want to push the grommet out of the webbing this is why mine failed I believe. There was about a 1" crust of ice then 2" of water then the ice.

Thomas Harris

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2014, 01:18 PM »
Hope all the guests reading this see just what kind of people they're missing out on here....Thank You for the quick reply and pictures NYSporty.... :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.