The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Can't get the chuck off a Milwaukee Fuel Drill.  (Read 7205 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Can't get the chuck off a Milwaukee Fuel Drill.
« on: Oct 22, 2014, 05:36 PM »
I took the scew out of the chuck put an alllen wrench in the chuck tightened it down and hit it with a hammer counter clockwise like the lady from milwaukee told me to do. It will not bust loose. Is there something I'm missing?

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Can't get the chuck off a Milwaukee Fuel Drill.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2014, 05:57 PM »
Try clamping the Allen wrench in a vice and hang on to the drill real good and hit the trigger.make sure you run the drill in the right direction and hang on real good.

luv2fish2

« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2014, 06:01 PM »
i took a 3/8 bolt ground one side flat on threaded end  tightened the the chuck on the threaded end  and on the hex end took an impact & socket and it came right off it's not threaded on backwards just screw off normally i think if i remember correctly it was real simple

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2014, 06:37 PM »
I took the scew out of the chuck put an alllen wrench in the chuck tightened it down and hit it with a hammer counter clockwise like the lady from milwaukee told me to do. It will not bust loose. Is there something I'm missing?

Here is a video on youtube made by Clam that shows how to remove the chuck from most drills.  Remember the screw/bolt inside the bottom of your check is reverse thread so turn it clockwise to remove it, if you haven't already stripped the head.  It is probably a torx head rather than a phillips head.

40zFA
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline Retiredbum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2014, 06:44 PM »
I had the same problem with my Drill,   I used a socket that had sides on it like an allen,  Then put a Breaker bar on to it. 1/2 inch   and some penetrating oil   And used my strength and it came loose.

Offline Sidepork

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't horse em!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2014, 06:53 PM »
Mine took a bunch of effort as well.  Felt like I was gonna break the thing
Nick

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2014, 06:59 PM »

Here is a video on youtube made by Clam that shows how to remove the chuck from most drills.  Remember the screw/bolt inside the bottom of your check is reverse thread so turn it clockwise to remove it, if you haven't already stripped the head.  It is probably a torx head rather than a phillips head.

40zFA

I have/had the screw out.......It just wont pop loose. Not sure what to do.

Offline Retiredbum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2014, 07:02 PM »
They show it in the clam video come off so easy with allen wench and hammer. Hitting it counter clockwise, I thought the same as I was going to tear the drill apart, hitting it with the hammer,   But the breaker bar and socket worked, I learned along time ago don't force anything.  Your right sidepork.

Offline Retiredbum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2014, 07:06 PM »
The socket I used was one you use on brake calipers, on cars

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2014, 09:13 PM »
The screw on mine came off TOUGH!!! I shot it with a little wd-40 and put the screws to it, and it popped loose, like many others have said. One thing I have told others is to put a little dab of anti-seize on the threads when you re-assemble it...  If it wont come off with a cheater bar or a socket/breaker bar you could always try a little bit of heat from a small propane torch. Just "BE CAREFUL" since too much heat could can screw your drill up.  :tipup:

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2014, 09:29 PM »
I have/had the screw out.......It just wont pop loose. Not sure what to do.

I put the base of my drill in my bench vice with a towel over the jaws and just snugged the vice enough to keep it from falling out.  With your drill in the vice and the chuck perpendicular to the vice put an allen wrench on the jaws, steady the drill with one hand and give the allen wrench a rap with a mallet just like in the Clam video.  That should work but if not use a breaker bar or a pipe over the allen wrench.  Having the drill immobilized in the vice jaws will maximize the torque on the chuck.   I really wouldn't put any heat to it because it doesn't take much heat to melt the wave soldered components inside the drill.
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2014, 10:33 PM »
I put the base of my drill in my bench vice with a towel over the jaws and just snugged the vice enough to keep it from falling out.  With your drill in the vice and the chuck perpendicular to the vice put an allen wrench on the jaws, steady the drill with one hand and give the allen wrench a rap with a mallet just like in the Clam video.  That should work but if not use a breaker bar or a pipe over the allen wrench.  Having the drill immobilized in the vice jaws will maximize the torque on the chuck.   I really wouldn't put any heat to it because it doesn't take much heat to melt the wave soldered components inside the drill.
I agree TOTALLY about melting soldered components within the drill.... I assembled 3 clam auger drills last year and by a little heat i'm talking about a small pen propane/butane torch applied to the inside of the chuck directly on the bolt for only a few seconds. I only had 1 drill I had to do this to (the rest came loose by the methods mentioned before). DO NOT FIRE UP THE OXY/ACETYLENE TORCH OR ANY OTHER TYPE TORCH. Sorry if I gave that impression. :(

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 23, 2014, 12:49 AM »
I agree TOTALLY about melting soldered components within the drill.... I assembled 3 clam auger drills last year and by a little heat i'm talking about a small pen propane/butane torch applied to the inside of the chuck directly on the bolt for only a few seconds. I only had 1 drill I had to do this to (the rest came loose by the methods mentioned before). DO NOT FIRE UP THE OXY/ACETYLENE TORCH OR ANY OTHER TYPE TORCH. Sorry if I gave that impression. :(

I thought that is what you meant but I had a vision of someone going right to the 1 lb bottle propane torch which is great for heating up rusted exhaust bolts but not so good for delicate work.  I think he has the bolt out already and is struggling with the threaded shaft that the chuck screws onto.  They come off tough even when they are new, if the drill has been used for awhile it will be seated on to the threaded shaft pretty tight.
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 2014, 07:30 AM »
putting an allen wrench in the chuck and hitting it ccw will work, keep at it. Or, use an impact wrench. If you don't have one, stop off at your local mechanic. Just clamp a piece of hex cut from an allen wrench and use the impact to get it off.

p.s. - make sure you set the drills direction to reverse first and put it on the lowest setting.

Offline brink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2014, 07:42 AM »
I had my buddy who owns a hardware store and is 6'9" and 300 lbs try to get the damned thing off and he couldn't make it happen.  Maybe I'll print this thread off and show it to him so I can finally get my Clam plate on the thing.  He even sent it into Milwaukee to see if they would do it but they won't remove the chuck.  ???
That's some tasty iced tea.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 23, 2014, 09:04 AM »
i took a 3/8 bolt ground one side flat on threaded end  tightened the the chuck on the threaded end  and on the hex end took an impact & socket and it came right off it's not threaded on backwards just screw off normally i think if i remember correctly it was real simple
Great idea!!! I hadn't even considered using a pneumatic impact... If I run into this one again I will just snap on one of my larger allen sockets on my air impact gun, tighten the drill chuck down on the hex key end, and let the rattle gun do the work. It seems to me that the chucks pop or snap when they come loose anyway, an impact should help pop it loose.

luv2fish2

« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2014, 09:25 AM »
Yeah it worked slick glad i could help   ;)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Oct 23, 2014, 04:37 PM »
Use an impact driver with the appropriate bit.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Oct 23, 2014, 08:32 PM »
Well, when I called milwaukee they said to turn the chuck counter clockwise to get it loose...........still wont go. I'll have to take it down to the farm and try the impact.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 24, 2014, 09:30 PM »
Did you ever get that chuck removed?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 24, 2014, 10:18 PM »
Did you ever get that chuck removed?

Havent worked on it yet. Been doing corn yield checks with weigh wagon then going out to the farm after work to combine.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 29, 2014, 06:48 PM »
Success!

Put it in a vice, and used an impact.....came off fairly easy!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 29, 2014, 06:56 PM »
Mine had Loc-tite not only on screw but a lot on the chuck, came off very hard with impact!

Offline brink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 24, 2014, 10:55 AM »
Thanks to the suggestions on here my buddy was able to get the chuck off my Fuel.  He pounded away at it with an impact driver and then took to it with a cheater bar.

I'd say the best thing to have to remove these chucks is a good friend who owns a hardware store (shop at your local Do It Best  ;)) and is 6'9" and 300 lbs.  ;D

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Nov 24, 2014, 11:27 AM »
Or do this and have the ability to still use your drill for other things..

Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline brink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 24, 2014, 02:16 PM »
Or do this and have the ability to still use your drill for other things..

I have a similar rig for a 5 inch auger.  The thing cuts like butter.  But I bought a 7 inch to have options this year and the Fuel could use a little break on the wear and tear so I bought the Clam plate.  The plate should help reduce the load on the drill and allow it to spin the 7 inch better.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 24, 2014, 03:19 PM »
I have a similar rig for a 5 inch auger.  The thing cuts like butter.  But I bought a 7 inch to have options this year and the Fuel could use a little break on the wear and tear so I bought the Clam plate.  The plate should help reduce the load on the drill and allow it to spin the 7 inch better.
Your absolutely right it will help.....

Offline VTWoodchuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 24, 2014, 03:24 PM »
Here we go again... gotta go get some popcorn...; - )
― Ernest Hemingway

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #28 on: Nov 24, 2014, 05:04 PM »
Here we go again... gotta go get some popcorn...; - )
Make it Cheddar Cheese variety this time. Goes real good with the lager.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #29 on: Nov 24, 2014, 05:37 PM »
I like carmel corn better.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.