Author Topic: Bismuth alloy jig heads  (Read 3362 times)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Bismuth alloy jig heads
« on: Oct 22, 2014, 11:32 AM »
Time to get crafty. At home bored out of my mind weather report was bad so I cancelled my fishing trip. Went to wally world bought a few packs of bismuth alloy jig heads, trying to prep for the new laws here in NH. Jig heads are bare metal so I went to Michael's and got some paints. Going to bake on the finish, hopefully they hold up well. Time to get creative I guess. 
Salmonemia

Offline ChiselHead2012

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Bismuth alloy jig heads
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2014, 03:37 PM »
I just keep using the lead jig heads I've had for years. I heard the rules changed on them but I haven't looked to see what exactly changed. Ignorance is bliss and I'm a happy man..

Offline char-hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2014, 07:42 PM »
I just keep using the lead jig heads I've had for years. I heard the rules changed on them but I haven't looked to see what exactly changed. Ignorance is bliss and I'm a happy man..
Typical Googin...

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2014, 04:20 AM »
I believe new rules for lead do not take effect until 2016

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2014, 05:17 AM »
Correct just trying to get a jump on it. It'll be here soon. Still not sure how the wardens plan on testing jigs to see if their made of lead?
Salmonemia

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2014, 09:09 AM »
Is there a noticeable weight difference in these new jigs you bought?

I agree with your logic. When I buy new jigs, I will go lead free, instead of being rushed into changing at the last minute.
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2014, 09:39 AM »
Tungsten is heavier than lead so jigs will be smaller in size. Bass Pro in Hooksett has a good selection if anyone wants to take a look. Over $3 per. Us old guys will need our specs to tie these little guys on a leader!

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2014, 11:48 AM »
The jigs I bought were 1/16 oz bismuth alloy, a mixture of bismuth and some tin. They were 2.49$ for ten jig heads. I put them side by side
and I couldnt tell the difference. Lead is denser so it may sink a bit faster but not sure how much diff they will be. I will let you know.
Salmonemia

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2014, 06:31 PM »
Salmonemia have you ever looked at the Bently jigs??   
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2014, 06:38 PM »
I'll look now.
Salmonemia

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 2014, 08:39 PM »
The jigs I bought were 1/16 oz bismuth alloy, a mixture of bismuth and some tin. They were 2.49$ for ten jig heads. I put them side by side
and I couldnt tell the difference. Lead is denser so it may sink a bit faster but not sure how much diff they will be. I will let you know.
Given the weight and three dimensions are the same, I expect that the sink rate would be also?  ;)

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Professional Ice Guide, Tournament Angler, TV Host
« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2014, 07:56 AM »
Given the weight and three dimensions are the same, I expect that the sink rate would be also?  ;)
Not True.

A rock and an orange are roughly the same size. A rock is denser so it sinks faster......
Not to go bill Nye here but properties of gravity and density are different under water than they are in atmosphere.

I go tungsten all the way. figure the few extra dollars I may spend to get to the strike zone quicker will be worth the $$$ by the end of the season. Unless you are usually fishing in shallow water. Sometimes when we Smelt fish we are in close to 80 feet of water fishing with 1/16oz tungsten all the way.
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS
New England's Only Authorized Representative for SnoBear Vehicles!

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 24, 2014, 08:50 AM »
So far I have found that with the exception of tungsten the alternatives to lead have to be larger in size (assuming the same shape) to get the same weight.  Pure bismuth is around 85% as dense as lead, however, I have only ever seen it as an alloy usually mixed with tin which is nearly 50% as dense as lead so the alloy would fall somewhere in-between there depending on the overall composition of the mix.  Sometimes I have seen them very close in size and weight and other times, you swear the attempt was actually to make the dang thing float.

Personally I do go with tungsten for jigs. If you're fishing with larger lures/weights than the difference can often be minor but if your fishing with 1/8th and under I'd just stick with tungsten.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 24, 2014, 03:22 PM »
Not True.

A rock and an orange are roughly the same size. A rock is denser so it sinks faster......
Not to go bill Nye here but properties of gravity and density are different under water than they are in atmosphere.

I go tungsten all the way. figure the few extra dollars I may spend to get to the strike zone quicker will be worth the $$$ by the end of the season. Unless you are usually fishing in shallow water. Sometimes when we Smelt fish we are in close to 80 feet of water fishing with 1/16oz tungsten all the way.

Actually Coffin Dodger is correct... If the weights and dimensions are the same the objects will fall with the same rate. Clearly a rock the size of an orange will sink quicker than the orange because it is much heavier. If two different jigs which are the same weight fall at different rates then they must be different dimensionally. So if a tungsten jig sinks quicker than a lead jig of the same weight than it must be smaller dimensionally, ie less surface area for resistance. I'm not arguing how fast or slow jigs fall but simply that you said CD's statement was wrong when it wasn't.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 24, 2014, 05:22 PM »
Actually Coffin Dodger is correct... If the weights and dimensions are the same the objects will fall with the same rate. Clearly a rock the size of an orange will sink quicker than the orange because it is much heavier. If two different jigs which are the same weight fall at different rates then they must be different dimensionally. So if a tungsten jig sinks quicker than a lead jig of the same weight than it must be smaller dimensionally, ie less surface area for resistance. I'm not arguing how fast or slow jigs fall but simply that you said CD's statement was wrong when it wasn't.

Im a stand-up guy..

you're right  now that I re-read the original comment..If the two jigs are of the same weight and the same size than they should be the same density.
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 24, 2014, 08:33 PM »

Im a stand-up guy..

Thanks for being a stand up guy tafts ta.  :)
I'm not too bright but tend to be logical.
As Stealth said if the shape (dimensions) change on equal weighted items ex: a pound of feathers v.s. a pond of stone or equal weighted speed jigs v.s. diamond jigs they'll sink at unequal rates. If shape (3 dimensions) and weight are equal it follows that their density is the same and therefore sink rates are also. 

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 26, 2014, 06:48 AM »
There are a lot of sources for small lead-free jigs.  Has anyone found a supplier for laker sized sized jigs?

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 26, 2014, 07:13 PM »
Pretty sure (not positive) that you'll find the Swedish pimples and PK's are lead free or close enough to get by?
I know, I know, lead free is lead free but heard the PK's "may" have a "minute" percentage of lead?
What say you tafts ta?

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 27, 2014, 03:28 AM »
Pk's are 100# lead free. Not sure about pimples. 

I'm not a scientist, but I heard that there is a small percentage of lead in Swedish pimples just from the process of making them.
I can tell you that one of my fishing buddies is an epo in mass and he uses them... So that has to count for something.
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS

Offline tackleman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Oct 27, 2014, 12:27 PM »
All of the lures from PK products are lead-free except the pk panic.  It is going to be moved over to lead-free later this year.  Some states like CA are really crazy on their definition of lead-free.  If it has .000001 percent of lead it cannot be called lead free.  Some people call it fish green...

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Oct 27, 2014, 12:33 PM »
If anyone has a ? as to EPO - Enviromental Police Officer - A Fish and Game Warden.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 27, 2014, 01:37 PM »
Pk's are 100# lead free. Not sure about pimples. 

I'm not a scientist, but I heard that there is a small percentage of lead in Swedish pimples just from the process of making them.
I can tell you that one of my fishing buddies is an epo in mass and he uses them... So that has to count for something.

"The Bay de Noc Lure Co. Swedish Pimple is a superb jigging lure, and is very popular for ice fishing. This type of lure has been widely used in Sweden for over 100 years with exceptional results on both fresh and salt-water fish. Jig it, summer or winter! Their proven ability to take walleye, trout, coho salmon, northern, bass, pan fish and many salt water species makes owning this lure a must for any fishermen.

These quality lures are made in the U.S.A. and forged of solid brass. All are rigged with a treble hook and a red "flipper." All include a bonus yellow flipper and extra split ring. Lures in sizes 2, 3 and 4 also include a spare single hook."

Solid brass is good enough for me until I officially hear different.  :) 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.