Author Topic: Bait Tank Set-up  (Read 1786 times)

Offline LakerNewb

• IceShanty Rookie
Bait Tank Set-up
« on: Oct 21, 2014, 08:04 AM »
Brother-in-law and I tried our hand at trapping and keeping our own bait last year. Kept running into the issue of having nice lively bait in the tank, but then transfer to the bucket and then to the lake, would kill 80% of them. Dipsy, you gave me some good advice about keeping the water in the tank, just above freezing (36ish I think you said). So, this year were putting the tank in an unheated garage to see how our bait fairs. My only concern is our filter/water aeration system. I am afraid on those real cold nights, that either the filter or the aeration bar will freeze up and wreck the filter. Our aeration bar is a piece of 3/4 pvc with 1/4" holes drilled in it and it sits about 4-5 inches off the water. Anyone have any advice? I remember someone had the issue of having their pump freeze up, and killed a lot of their bait. Just wanted to see what some of you guys do, to prevent something like this. Also, I picked up some Better-Bait off amazon for a couple of bucks, anyone have any experience using this stuff/is it worth the time, effort and money? :tipup:
Oh the weather outside is frightful but the cusk are so delightful, long as I can't feel my toes! Let snow let it snow let it snow!

Offline treeguymark

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Bait Tank Set-up
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2014, 06:08 PM »
lol that was probably me that lost all their bait during a freeze up !  you got to keep that water moving and airated so it doesnt freeze up . i moed my tank into my bulkhead hallway after starting out in my shed and ran a small electric space heater just to keep the room alil above freezeing temps ! this year i went with an insulated freezer back out to shed and bigger pumps for more water flow !  quit using filter in the winter no need for it !
fishin is my mission !!

Offline wshnIwsfshn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2014, 06:51 PM »
I use a 33 gallon garbage can and I wrap it with insulation to keep it from freezing but does a little and my filter I use a drop light with cage and rest it right above the filter but make sure it's secure so it does not fall in the heat from the bulb keeps the filter from freezen or for the tank water buy a fish tank heater good luck

Offline Keptafew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2014, 07:09 PM »
Ive been trapping and keeping my bait for several years now in an unheated garage using an old chest freezer, aerator and a couple water filtration pumps from Walmart. During really cold frigid weather I use a bird bath heater that does a great job oh and I use finer shiner in my tanks. Already have about 15 dozen after a couple overnight dips
A man should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing

Offline Keptafew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2014, 07:26 PM »
Ive been trapping and keeping my bait for several years now in an unheated garage using an old chest freezer, aerator and a couple water filtration pumps from Walmart. During really cold frigid weather I use a bird bath heater that does a great job oh and I use finer shiner in my tanks. Already have about 15 dozen after a couple overnight dips
A man should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing

Offline treeguymark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2014, 07:32 PM »
kind of looks like my  set up !! except i i ve got about 50 /60 dzn in about an hr of set time !lol
fishin is my mission !!

Offline LakerNewb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2014, 08:35 PM »
We are running what I think is a 70ish gallon watering tub for cattle. I was thinking of a aquarium heater for those really cold months. It was you treeguymark, I remember now. I want to go with my sunsun filter for the winter, but am a little afraid it might freeze up. We shall see. I may just keep either a light or run a small aquarium heater. What do ya think? Or should I just buy a cheap transfer pump and run it in a loop?
Oh the weather outside is frightful but the cusk are so delightful, long as I can't feel my toes! Let snow let it snow let it snow!

Offline treeguymark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2014, 09:20 PM »
buy the pump ! keep the water agitated some what and and shouldnt freeze alil skim layer on top is fine though , just watch that tank everyday thats what i do ! ;D
fishin is my mission !!

Offline LakerNewb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2014, 10:00 AM »
Thanks treeguymark!

Offline Jay Fat City

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That Dummy Out on the Ice By Himself
« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2014, 11:23 AM »
My set up, which I started using two years ago, is two Sterlite 17 gallon totes with standard aquarium filters on them. I cut out a notch on the lids to accommodate the filters and drilled a hole in the middle for the air pump hose. It worked great last year.

Since I have atrocious city water full of various -ines, my first year I lugged gallons of water out of a nearby drinking water reservoir. That sucked and sucked even more when it iced over.

Last year, I bought some water conditioner for my tap water and that did the trick. Very few die-offs. When it got really cold, I used two 100 watt bulbs over the filters. That worked okay on my back porch, but I might build an insulated wooden box this year since I'll be in unheated garage.

Jay
  <=== On my car, on my sled, on my soul!

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 2014, 11:28 AM »
How long on average will the minnows last? 

I have a small square deep freeze I plan on using with an aquarium filter and small heater in my garage. 

Offline Jay Fat City

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That Dummy Out on the Ice By Himself
« Reply #11 on: Oct 23, 2014, 11:33 AM »
With weekly water changes, many of my shiners last from early November to the first week of April.
  <=== On my car, on my sled, on my soul!

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 23, 2014, 12:56 PM »
Good to know. 

I called the local board of public works a while back and found that they use Chrlorine, which when left to sit over night will dissipate out of the water and be safe to use with the minnows.  Some water treatment facilities use Chloromine, which will not dissipate. 

Offline FirstTimer1311

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live free and fish
« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 2014, 06:36 PM »
I've decided to try a 60 quart cooler for a bait tank this year hoping that it will help with those cold nights I use a dual air pump and hve a filter but not sure if I should go with a bulge pump and a sprayer thoughts????
Fishing...........even the word is relaxing

Offline treeguymark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 24, 2014, 08:50 AM »
go with the sprayer it will airate and keep water from freezing , i have shiners in my tank that ie had since july  ,keep the water clean and moing and youll be fine , you will get a few die off s no matter what you do !
fishin is my mission !!

Offline speaney

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Oct 24, 2014, 01:29 PM »
I know this may depend a lot on the aerator used, but is there a general rule of thumb on how many quarts/gallons per dozen bait fish for a bait bucket?  Either shiners or smelt. 

Thanks.

Offline treeguymark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 24, 2014, 03:01 PM »
i think i heard it was a dzn per gallon ??
fishin is my mission !!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.