Author Topic: Tip ups for burbot  (Read 2323 times)

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
Tip ups for burbot
« on: Oct 20, 2014, 09:54 PM »
Anyone ever do it? If so how and with what?

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: Tip ups for burbot
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2014, 11:20 PM »
Never done it but not certain why it would be different than tipping any other fish. Meat on the bottom.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2014, 07:26 PM »
Any kind of meat works, at the gorge we use carp, sucker, chub, shiner, anchovie and shrimp. Just get it as close to the bottom as you can just above where the crawdads cant get to it. We use glow tubes and curly tails. I've even just used a straight treble with meat. Glow stuff works the best for us and with the new artificial light change coming for Wyoming the door is open for all kinds of new stuff for us. Hope the Gov. pushes it thru  @) check out the burbot section

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=38.0

and the tip up section

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=30.0

comb thru the pages and find what might work for you
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2014, 10:48 PM »
Tip ups work great for burbot.  I have used them in Maine and Alaska, so I see no reason they would not work in Wyoming :)  Not sure what your regs are, but dead bait works great sitting on bottom or just off bottom.  I dip hooligan in the spring, freeze them and use them all winter for bait.  Up here I fish shallow water and set my tip ups just before dark.  I like the heritage laker tip up, they are tall, strong and easy to see.  Good luck.
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2014, 07:24 AM »
my cusk traps are simply a 1x3 board vee'd out on both ends to wrap the line on. 1 ounce weight attached to the end, 6 inches mono, and hook with dead bait. we just tie the line to the center of the board with the weight on bottom. they need to be simple as we leave them out overnight and they will get run over and stolen from time to time. theres no need to have a running spool on the trap and you wouldnt want one as theres usually lots of rocks in cusk areas. now i dont know if thats legal in your area but thats the standard setup in new hampshire

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2014, 09:28 PM »
Here in Ak all I use is lengths of PVC pipe with line wrapped around it and a single hook with hooligan(smelt) or herring.
I fish them in the shallows. I usually have a 1/8oz egg sinker on the line ablove the hook. legally to leave them out up here I attach a strip of duct tape with my name and address on it.
I am syre a tip up would work good also.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Polekat40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2014, 07:57 PM »
I use tip ups for Burbot.  I use a crappie rig with minnows or sucker meat.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.