Author Topic: Custom Jigs Nuclear Ants  (Read 2481 times)

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
Custom Jigs Nuclear Ants
« on: Oct 20, 2014, 08:09 PM »
had much success last season with ratso's and gill pills, thinking of venturing into the realm of nuclear ants....anyone use them and if so what colors and sizes were the most producing for you....

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
Re: Custom Jigs Nuclear Ants
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2014, 04:09 PM »
Bass love them -- afternoon, approaching dusk nuclear ants are great.  I think they mimic the small larvae/plankton that fish feed on later in the day.
My favorite colors are yellow and glow white for bass -- either size.

Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2014, 12:35 PM »
I have more luck on the nuclear ants open water fishing. The shrimpo is my go-to for gills and crappies.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2014, 11:06 AM »
They work great when the fish are active. Its a pretty big profile and if the fish aren't aggressive they will just peck at the legs. The physical size of the bait is the same in the 8 and 10 so choose the 8 for the bigger weight and more gap on the hook. Put 2 spikes on the hook and start jigging. I jig them a little different than other plastics, I do two short hops up and then let it flutter back down. They'll suck it in when its falling.

I like red and black. Black for gin clear water and sunny days, red for off colored water or cloudy days.

Yes, bass love them as well, and so do crappie. So get ready and have a good drag.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline BRIZ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2014, 12:48 PM »
Love em! Red and red worked great last year for gills and slabs. A buddy even caught a 5 lb cat on one! They will out fish a Ratso 5 to one and a Ratso will out fish a regular jig 5 to one on one paticular lake in SE Iowa....a got to have bait!
I'd rather be lucky than good!

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2014, 06:54 PM »
Thanks for all the input I got the smallest size in chartruese just to try out and see how it does.  If I am successful I will purchase more in different colors

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2014, 07:02 PM »
Chartreuse is a great one for dingy water. If you ever venture over to the Miss river backwaters you'll see a bunch of old timers sitting in laydowns all jigging with one of 3 lures. CJ&S white ratso, CJ&S chartreuse nuclear ant, and a green Rembrandt. There is a very good reason why.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.