Author Topic: tip downs  (Read 5039 times)

Offline MDeppe

• IceShanty Rookie
tip downs
« on: Oct 20, 2014, 07:02 PM »
Any tips on making home made tip down so that you can use spinning reels? Got the bug any would like to get a head start.

Offline Robin hood

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: tip downs
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2014, 10:02 PM »
Check out this site www.doublehoutdoors.co m they sell a cool one that is not expensive

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2014, 11:16 AM »
I'll be trying these out this year.

http://www.sullivantipdown.com/Tipdrop.html
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2014, 06:50 PM »
Will either of these manufacturers be at the St. Paul ice show?m

Offline Nightbird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2014, 11:04 PM »
Anyone actually read and comprehend MDeppe's question?

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2014, 12:06 AM »
I'm going to try building something like this:

Tight Line Tip Down:

The hangers that attach to the rod is held on with a zip tie with their system.  I plan on using the existing castration bands on the rods to hold a removable hanger

Offline Robin hood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2014, 08:18 PM »
Not sure if they are going to be at the show....

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2014, 01:40 PM »
I just made a nice one with material I had on hand and will try to post some pictures but really have trouble with photo bucket and such.
Mine is made from 1x1" oak with two pieces of 3/8 plywood on the base it folds flat and hinges on two 1/4 carriage bolts with compression springs under wing nuts. The hardest part was figuring how to mount the rod to a pivot. I end up using an old 1" dia scope ring that I cut most of the base of but left a lump for the pivot rod. Pivot rod is a piece of of high nickel TIG welding rod and a dab of shoe goo holds it in place. A couple of of small aluminum tabs control the windage of the pivot rod.http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k432/flint18/tipdown003_zps85f2f58c.jpg
Maybe the link will work to my ice fishing stuff.     

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2014, 02:19 PM »
Mr Flint, that's just a balancing rig.

A true tip down, will tip down and stay down.   

A properly designed and built unit will "trip" with only the addition of a paperclip on the rod tip to test it's function.

This gives a finicky fish about two feet of line slack, allowing a good "take" by the fish. 

Just my feeble attempt to clarify the idea of the  meaning of "Tip Down ".

Good luck this season.       ;)2

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2014, 06:13 PM »
I'm new to the tippy thing but it seems to function like all the others I've seen on youtube and other adds. Am I missing something?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2014, 08:04 PM »
I'm new to the tippy thing but it seems to function like all the others I've seen on youtube and other adds. Am I missing something?

Sorry man, I should have been a bit more sharing in my too, brief description.

A delicately balanced rod that will tip down to the water/icehole edge and stays there until it's grabbed by a person to land/ice a fish.

Just visualize, carefully adding the weight of a small paperclip to the top guide of the rod. That tiny weight and nothing else, will cause the rod tip to go down and stay down.

Sorry for the complexity of abstract reasoning required to grasp the concept.

It's caveman easy, and works with deadly precision.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2014, 09:27 PM »
Some sort of sliding weight is coming to mind. Balance point is adjustable.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2014, 11:02 PM »
No weight is involved, just prefect balance.

The balance is slightly adjustable by changing the fulcrum point.

The backwards tipping point  is controlled with an under bar/wire/board beneath the rod, near the reel and limits the up pointed rod to be forward of vertical and leaning toward the ice hole side.

The pivot point is found by balancing the fully rigged rod and light weight(schooley)reel, on a round horizontal item. A finger will work well.

A hole is drilled through the rod handle above this balance point, the size drill bit allowing a close fit for an aluminum wire 1/8" in diameter. The length of the wire should be an inch or more than the spread of the two supports.  The flex in the wire allows for fine tuning the balance point.

If you're still with me, shall I continue ?

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2014, 08:58 AM »
I just made a nice one with material I had on hand and will try to post some pictures but really have trouble with photo bucket and such.
Mine is made from 1x1" oak with two pieces of 3/8 plywood on the base it folds flat and hinges on two 1/4 carriage bolts with compression springs under wing nuts. The hardest part was figuring how to mount the rod to a pivot. I end up using an old 1" dia scope ring that I cut most of the base of but left a lump for the pivot rod. Pivot rod is a piece of of high nickel TIG welding rod and a dab of shoe goo holds it in place. A couple of of small aluminum tabs control the windage of the pivot rod.http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k432/flint18/tipdown003_zps85f2f58c.jpg
Maybe the link will work to my ice fishing stuff.     
I made something similar, a copy of the jigger totter I love them no going back to any type non balancing rod Holder except the jaw jacker.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2014, 09:31 AM »
I get what your saying. I was thinking that a small sliding weight could be quickly adjusted to different bait weights by just moveing it foward and aft. It's sitting in my living room so I can stare at it and come up with ideas that a little breeze wont affect. As it is it should work as good or better than the others I've seen advertised as tip downs.

One thing that comes to mind is another peice of rod teed into the pivot rod with a sliding weight. Kind of like a bow stabilizer. I have an assortment of piano wire  for the kicker. Thanks for your imput Gator.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2014, 11:44 AM »
If the weather moderates, I'll set one up for a photo shoot.

I know & see everyone wants a big reel, it spoils the precision of a tipdown.

All the "setups" shown are just fine for their purpose.     

If you open a paperclip into a "U" and hang that on the rod tip for a test, if it's a "tip down", the rod tip will go down to the ice and stay there.  And if the paper clip is removed, the true "tip down" stays down.   

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2014, 12:11 PM »
Okay I messed with it some and get what you are saying now. There is no way to make it work right with a under hung spinning reel as the weight transfer is wrong. It will work (OK) flipping the reel to the top as the weight transfers forward. I have a mini bait caster and another rod I will try and mount another gross member for the handle to rest on. Thanks Gator.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #17 on: Nov 22, 2014, 12:21 PM »
Glad to help, & photos, soon.....better than a thousand words, ha.      ;)2

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #18 on: Nov 22, 2014, 05:09 PM »
Flint, searched for the camera, ha, just found it in the car, dang, it needs to warm up a bit. RATS !   Flash won't get a good look, so, tomorrow. 

Now, who left the camera in the car, in this cold ?    Musta been me, I have a good memory, and also, I have a good memory. D'HO !     >:(

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 23, 2014, 07:16 PM »
  http://s326.photobucket.com/user/flint18/media/tipdown2001_zps22b41257.jpg.html  I modded the wooden one to make it somewhat work with a spinning reel but you just cant get them close to a neutral balance. I made a new one today using a uncle bucks mini bait caster with the pivot right under the reel. The stand is made from 1 1/4" PVC and it works pretty well. The shellac is drying now so will try to add pics tomorrow. Link should show take two of tipdown.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2014, 02:48 PM »
Hey, Flint, have you seen these ?   Very similar to what I built.              Thanks to Kmaz 9697 for the photo.    :bow:

And a side view of what I have.   Set and ready.

Tipped down.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.