Author Topic: Homebuilt custom ice rods???  (Read 526 times)

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Homebuilt custom ice rods???
« on: Oct 20, 2014, 12:54 PM »
Anyone ever made their own ice rods? What did you use for guides, blank, handle?

Catchin' Fish

Offline stpaulslouch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Homebuilt custom ice rods???
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2014, 01:33 PM »
Yes, it's challenging at first but a ton of fun!  I have bought supplies from both Thorne Bros and DH Custom Rods as well as guides from Mudhole.  From here on out I'll be using DH blanks because they are about 30% cheaper than TB but still very nice.  I build mine with fly guides and a Pac Minima stripper guide.  I've built one with Recoils but they are quite expensive.   Both places have everything you need but DH will be cheaper.  Send me a PM if you have specific questions.

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2014, 03:16 PM »
In case you do not know, there is an entire forum devoted to making ice rods.  It is a sub-group of the jigging forum.
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2014, 08:39 PM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=130.0

There are a bunch of builders around. It's easy if you can follow directions, have steady hands, and have a little extra time. You'll soon find out that there is no black magic involved and the industry is saturated with hype. After you get set up and get the hang of it, you'll start crafting rods that match your needs exactly. You will then have a TRUE custom piece in your hands because you will have created it to do something specific just for you. It will make you a better fisherman too, because you'll understand how and why the puzzle fits together from your hand to the fish's lip.   

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2014, 10:59 PM »
I make all my own and if I was to use a mass produced rod I would use the Clam Dave Genz Legacy series combos. Rod Building can get addicting. I am in the process of build a complete set of open water rods over the winter for next years open water season and will do a few ice rods too yet this fall to donate to this one group the mentors kids in the outdoors.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2014, 10:09 AM »
Thanks for the info guys, I didn't even realize there was a forum for this under Jigging lol! If I find the time to get around to building a rod or two I'll be sure to post there.

It's easy if you can follow directions, have steady hands, and have a little extra time. You'll soon find out that there is no black magic involved and the industry is saturated with hype. After you get set up and get the hang of it, you'll start crafting rods that match your needs exactly. You will then have a TRUE custom piece in your hands because you will have created it to do something specific just for you. It will make you a better fisherman too, because you'll understand how and why the puzzle fits together from your hand to the fish's lip.   

Skipper you thoughts are directly inline with mine - that's exactly why I'd like to start building my own rods!

Catchin' Fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.