Author Topic: How do you find out about condition?  (Read 645 times)

Offline GB 83

• Team IceShanty Regular
How do you find out about condition?
« on: Oct 20, 2014, 11:53 AM »
I am still planning a trip to the mountain lakes at the end of the month. Who do you have to call to see if there is ice or not on the lakes? Do I need to be looking for lakes at 10,000' or 12,000' or higher? Or will there be no ice before Halloween this yr?

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
Re: How do you find out about condition?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2014, 04:28 PM »
Do some driving, and check out the spots.  Not sure what you mean about calling someone.  There's not an ice information number to call, but I bet there will be "safe" ice somewhere this weekend in the high country.  Be safe, and good luck!  :)
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2014, 07:51 PM »
There is no one to call for any info on ice conditions. Most of the lakes that will be frozen don't ever have info on them. Some won't even have a listing of species. The only way to check ice is to go there. The only way to get on them will be hard in most cases. Most if not all wont have a boat ramp as a lot of the lakes don't allow motorized boats. All the bigger lakes will take a while before ready for ice fishing. I would think mid to late November. If you go out to check try lakes above 10k feet.  And remember you might have to go through a lot of snow to get to the lakes. So a snow machine or shoes are best.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2014, 02:32 PM »
Well Antero Reservoir doesn't have any ice forming and it is at 9k feet.
<===Lefty===

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2014, 04:03 PM »
Flew from Denver to SALT Lake Oct. 17th.  All the high lakes I saw were still open. That being said, virtually any lake at 12,000 ft will be frozen by Halloween.  Most of the 10,000 ft lakes take till Veterans day.   Of course there are exceptions to every rule.   My earliest ice fishing was Nov. 4th and my latest was June 10th.

Iced Lake John on Nov. 10th one year.  Only one little corner but it was ice fishing. Used a tire iron to cut holes.

Iced 11-mile Nov. 20th.  One year couldnt get on till Dec.10th.

Iced Antero Nov. 15th. 

Good luck.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.