The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Jaw Jacker  (Read 1230 times)

Offline LoggerFD

• IceShanty Rookie
Jaw Jacker
« on: Oct 19, 2014, 08:23 PM »
Just picked up a couple of jaw jackers to use this season. Have read about some folks having trouble with their rods breaking...  What are folks using as rod setups?  I'm thinking about getting the Shakespeare Fuel with medium flex. 
Thanks!

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
Re: Jaw Jacker
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2014, 09:02 PM »
Welcome to the shanty.  You can check out any time you like but you can never leave.

Can't tell you what kinda set up to get but I can tell you not to stand over them might hurt if it goes off.  :o :o
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Professional Ice Guide, Tournament Angler, TV Host
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2014, 12:52 PM »
Hello and welcome to the shanty!

As a pro-staffer for jaw jackers thank you for picking these up and you will DEFINATELY be happy with them.

I run several different set ups with jaw jackers and it really just depends on what you are fishing for. Just like any other tip up, ice rod, or any other form of fishing equipment you will want to match your whole set up to your desired fish, rather than just your rod to the jaw jacker. There are enough adjustments in the unit itself to accommodate virtually any rod as long as it's not too long or stiff.

Here are a few if my set ups, but again, it's entirely up to you what you are comfortable with.

1.Trout. I run a 42" med-light HT Big Eye rod with the HT Polar Fire fly reel with 20# test berkely fire line braid backing with about 4 feet if 6-8# test trilene flourocarbon leader.

2.Pike. A 29" HT Polar Fire Blue Ice medium heavy rod with a Abu Garcia 6500 pro rocket with 30# test p-Line flouro clear.

3.Smelt. A 32" HT super-ultra-light rod with a Okuma light action reel and 2# test.

Most important thing is to dial in the drag correctly on both the reel and on the jaw jacker.

Any time you want to see how they are set up I'd be happy to show you my set ups and help you with yours.  Feel free to pm me.
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS
New England's Only Authorized Representative for SnoBear Vehicles!

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2014, 07:58 PM »
So ive jad a couple jaw jackers for a couple seasons now.
My first time out with em they performed pretty good for me. And its a ton of fun seeing the rod bending and reeling up a nice bass on a jig rod. This past season I was having alot of trouble getting fish to stay on long enough for me to get to. This may have somthing to do with rod action and my rods not being stiff enough to really slam the hook home.
 I am not sure what the best method for drag is eathier. I would typically want the fish to be able to run after hookset. But if your drag is loose you wont be able to set the hook then if its tight the fish cannot run..maybe jawjacker prostaffer can make a suggestion The other issue i have with them is visability. Unless traps are real close they are hard to see. Only if your lucky enough to hear it pop. Many times it was up unoticed for a few minutes. I put an orang flag on the rod tip and that helps alot.
they are durable light weight and compact. No complaints there. So i do like them just make sure you get the right rod for good hooksets.
I have only used these with shiners for bass. Not trout or panfish etc

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2014, 08:17 PM »
A couple things to try.

Without knowing what type or size hook you are using with your shiners... I rig an octopus hook right behind the head when using shiners. Remember that gamefish always swallow head first... A traditional dorsal fun hooking sometimes can be too far back for a good hookset.  I also really like using a fly reel or bait cast reel so that even if using a stiffer rod, I can still allow the fish to run just a little bit.

One thing that is important to remember... Jaw jackers are NOT designed to be rigged and left unattended until a fish bites. I try not to use them outside of ear shot because no matter how good a hookset is, any fish can wiggle themselves off if given ample time. I've had them go off and the fish stay on for upwards of ten minutes...I've also had it where the fish gets off in under thirty seconds. Every hookset is different and just like any other day if fishing, if the bite is off a bit, you might need to downsize baits or hooks to improve ratio of catch.
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro-Staff HT ENTERPRISES, Pro Staff POLAR FIRE, Pro Staff VEXILAR, Pro Staff OTTER OUTDOORS, Pro Staff PK LURES, Pro Staff DEEP FREEZE, Pro Staff Bunker Up Fishin
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2014, 08:17 PM »
Hi Tafts, I have been ice fishing for 40 years and love dead sticking. The problem is the lake at my brothers house is only 4 or 5 feet deep. When dead sticking I usualle use a small #25 okuma bait runner reel so the fish can run. I'm afraid that with very little line out the jaw jacker may not work...I may have to use it in deeper water only????
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline tafts ta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2014, 11:47 PM »
Two things...
I frequently use Jaw Jackers when trout fishing with my bait just a few feet under the ice. A couple things to watch when doing this. You have to be careful that the rod tip travel will not pull the fish into the hole or against the bottom of the ice. Depending in how stiff the rod you are using is, rod travel might be anywhere from a few inches to a foot or more.

Also.. I think that if you are using bait runners you will have more problems than you anticipate. The whole point of the jaw jacker is to set the hook. By taking pressure off the line by keeping a bait runner open you will lose the hookset.

The biggest mistake I've seen people make when using jaw jackers is to expect the fish to make a long run. That is not how they are intended to work. The jaw jacker sets the hook when the fish bites, then you reel it up.

Best way I can describe this to anyone who ice fishes is this way...   When you have a fish on the end of your line on any other form of equipment..tip-up, tip-down, jig, anything....do you set the hook and then let the fish run for several dozen feet before reeling it in? No..you start reeling or hand lining the moment you set the hook. The jaw jackers job and purpose is to increase the anglers ratio of positive hookset. Once the fish is on the line, you still have to reel it in.
Host of TV's Guiding Ice
Pro Staff JAW JACKERS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.