Author Topic: Dead Stick  (Read 807 times)

Offline Hooktc

• IceShanty Rookie
Dead Stick
« on: Oct 19, 2014, 03:33 PM »
Looking for some help from the ice shanty community on a nice dead stick rod without breaking the bank.something with a nice backbone but a tip that very light

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Dead Stick
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2014, 06:23 PM »
was going to suggest med light to light ugly stick, but why do you need a very light tip if you're dead sticking? how about the flat line road at Sportsmen's direct?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2014, 06:30 PM »
I use a bell on a dead stick and don't worry about a light touch.
<===Lefty===

Offline Handy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2014, 09:10 PM »
I thought on a true deadstick you wanted the light tip so the fish doesn't sense the rod for a moment letting you reach it?

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2014, 03:10 AM »
The only thing you need to worry about with a dead stick is losing it down the hole.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2014, 07:38 AM »
I thought on a true deadstick you wanted the light tip so the fish doesn't sense the rod for a moment letting you reach it?
That is were a good Tip down comes in handy.
<===Lefty===

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2014, 07:58 AM »
Frabill makes a good dead stick combo ..I use one next to me in my flip over ....but tip downs are the way to go for your crappie and perch outside the hut ...and yes tether the rod ...TRUST ME on that last part .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2014, 08:20 AM »
how far away from it will you be? I dead stick with ht rigger and arctic warrior with open spool. crappie and perch are no problem. never targeted gills with it. If 'm going for gills, I will use a UL rod and jig with it.

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2014, 08:42 AM »
for true deadsticking I like a noodle style rod unless I know I am in an area with big walleyes then I will go with an ultra light.  If you fishing perch or crappies I won't worry to much about finding something with a ton of backbone, just find the lightest noodle that you can.  If you are fishing walleyes and going to be fishing deeper than about 15' then I would look for something that is an XF speed that gets into the backbone quickly for solid hooksets.

Offline Handy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 20, 2014, 09:05 AM »
I'm rarely arms reach away from my rods, fear them goin down to davey jones! But I use the frabill 27 inch deadstick for my second rod and it's one of my fav rods. Not sure I'm a tip down guy, I do think they would be great for ultra light bites.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2014, 10:36 AM »
i just use the cheap medium light rods they sell at sportsmans for $10 or less. i usually pick a rod that bends all or most of the way to the handle, so i can see hits from a long distance (if i'm scouting new holes or something).

i need to switch up my reels though, i have a bunch of dead rods rigged with nicer reels and a bunch of jigging rods with less-than-awesome reels. all you need on a deadstick is something with reasonable drag.

also, always tether your dead rods. my dad and brother have both lost rods to roaming trout (a 10" trout can steal a rod just as easy as a 20" trout) but i've never had that misfortune because i tether mine.

Offline Hooktc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 20, 2014, 05:44 PM »
Thanks guys I to was under the impression that the point was to have a light tip on the dead stick,I'm looking at it for walleyes in deeper water . Going to look at some of the rods mentioned .

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 20, 2014, 06:00 PM »
Thanks guys I to was under the impression that the point was to have a light tip on the dead stick,I'm looking at it for walleyes in deeper water . Going to look at some of the rods mentioned .

Even for walleyes I personally don't like anything heavier than an Ultra light, I am working on a new blank right now that will be specifically for deadsticking.  Hopefully I will be able to get the kinks worked out yet this year and get it on the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.