Author Topic: When to by my Vexilar.  (Read 6944 times)

Offline MLRTYM

• IceShanty Rookie
When to by my Vexilar.
« on: Oct 18, 2014, 07:39 AM »
I am buying a Vexilar and was wondering if there are normally any sales on them from now till the season starts. Basically should I just buy it now or wait for a price drop.

Also any opinions on the FL-18 Propack II at $469.99 vs the Genz FL-18 at $379.99. Thanks.

Offline gonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: When to by my Vexilar.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2014, 07:49 AM »
Just my opinion but I would probably start looking now.  Vexilars have a pretty fixed price and hard to find much of a sale.  I usually see the best sales at the end of the season around March.  If you go to the Ice Show in St. Paul you may save $10-20 but the gas it takes to drive there will eat that cost up.  Compare prices online.  I am shopping for a second FLX28 and the best price I've found is only $20 cheaper than the rest.  By shopping online you can sometimes save shipping and tax costs.  I'm going to purchase mine in the next week or two for those reasons.  I'm buying at Scheels locally just for customer service reasons and the fact that they will likely price match.  Good luck

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2014, 08:00 AM »
Black Friday always has some great deals on most everything. Probably no discount on the Vex but usually a store credit for future purchase.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2014, 08:03 AM »
I usually see the best sales at the end of the season around March.    Compare prices online.   By shopping online you can sometimes save shipping and tax costs. 
X2
If anything the prices could climb toward the end of the year.
You could wait for black Friday/cyber Monday but retailers usually don't discount these items. They usually discount TV's, cameras, phones, etc.
Sorry no opinion on the vex's, but it sounds like the 2 units in question are probably the same with different accessories.
It must be something in the water.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2014, 09:07 AM »
As far as deals go I agree with Black Friday sale ...I am looking for a head unit only  ..FL8 or FL18... so been looking(since end of last season) have not seen any great deals or I would have pounced on it ...snooze you lose on great ice fishing deals .

I had the original FL18 ProPack (at times I thought that was going to be brittle in the cold the new ones seem to have been improved upon)....but up graded to the Ultra last year ...my buddy has the Genz blue box ..it is a good utility set up.. not certain if you get the battery status indicator with the blue box ...on the Pro pack you may get the digital depth display  ..remember the blue box is square ...will not fit in a 5 gallon bucket( think it will sit atop one  securely ) I also added the digital depth display to my ultra pack set up  ...very nice add on. 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Fishboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2014, 10:23 AM »
I bought my vex last year(fl-20) after years of watching my friend use a vex. I noticed the biggest difference in pricing was between stores. I wound up buying the fl-20 genz pack, and ordering the ultra pack case at the same time. Change out was a breeze. I recycled the genz pack. Just doesn't do the vex justice imo. I think something that pretty deserves a pretty case. I found that was the cheapest way to go for what I wanted. Bought mine online from mills fleet farm(sponser at the topright). They were just cheaper than anyone else. Shop around! I'm very pleased! You'll love yours too, you'll never fish the same.
A group of ice fishermen is a chatter or chill, although the term loony is often used, particularly by wives of ice fishermen.

~ Patrick F. McManus in The Grasshopper Trap

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2014, 10:51 AM »
Go with the ProPack.  You won't be sorry.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline HARDasICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2014, 11:25 AM »
Find reconditioned here. Save money. Good as new. http://vexilar.com/products/reconditioned.php

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Oct 18, 2014, 11:29 AM »
"When to by my Vexilar?"
When they run out of MarCums..   :roflmao: :roflmao: :whistle: :whistle:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2014, 11:49 AM »
I am buying a Vexilar and was wondering if there are normally any sales on them from now till the season starts. Basically should I just buy it now or wait for a price drop.

Also any opinions on the FL-18 Propack II at $469.99 vs the Genz FL-18 at $379.99. Thanks.

There will be sales, but i found that if you look around the rock bottom sale prices can be found about any day on the interne with no tax and free shipping,

I have a genz box and a ultra pack. the pro is in between. it basicly boils down to do you want to pay more then a genz box for a simple tackle box on the pro. Also, the transducer could be different.

Offline Link406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2014, 12:06 PM »
I agree with HardasIce, definitely go with a reconditioned unit. Bought a reconditioned flx28 and it's good as new. Can't go wrong with 70 bucks off

Offline gonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2014, 01:28 PM »
You can also find some good units in the clist classifieds.  I picked up an FL28 for $400 and an FL20 for $300 this summer.  Will have to be able to trust the seller.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2014, 04:57 PM »

here is a idea for you. if you like the pro pack I would buy the Genz Pack for the $379.99 then buy the pro pack case for $32.95 then move the unit to the pro pack by doing this you would spend only $412.94 and would save $57.05

the only benefit of the pro pack is that you get the rod holder and the tackle box and the ability to put it in a five gallon pail.

as was mentioned before don't over look the Vexilar reconditioned units. they are gone over at vexilar and the main thing they find is the ones that come back from stores and get reconditioned are just issues with bad batteries. this is because the amount of time some of these units are on when they are part of a display and the battery gets run down and not recharged. Vexilar gives a warranty on the reconditioned units. they get like $350 for a reconditioned FL-18 Genz Pack

here are the links :

http://vexilar.com/products/reconditioned.php?prodNum=GP1812     

http://vexilar.com/products/reconditioned.php?prodNum=PP1812D

http://vexilar.com/products/reconditioned.php
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline russelln114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2014, 06:30 PM »
here is a idea for you. if you like the pro pack I would buy the Genz Pack for the $379.99 then buy the pro pack case for $32.95 then move the unit to the pro pack by doing this you would spend only $412.94 and would save $57.05

the only benefit of the pro pack is that you get the rod holder and the tackle box and the ability to put it in a five gallon pail.

as was mentioned before don't over look the Vexilar reconditioned units. they are gone over at vexilar and the main thing they find is the ones that come back from stores and get reconditioned are just issues with bad batteries. this is because the amount of time some of these units are on when they are part of a display and the battery gets run down and not recharged. Vexilar gives a one year warranty on the reconditioned units. they get like $350 for a reconditioned FL-18 Genz Pack

here are the links :

http://vexilar.com/products/reconditioned.php?prodNum=GP1812     

http://vexilar.com/products/reconditioned.php?prodNum=PP1812D

http://vexilar.com/products/reconditioned.php

I bought a reconditioned vexilar and I got a 2year warranty with it.

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 18, 2014, 08:33 PM »
If you can make it down to the Ice Fishing Show in St. Paul in December they will have plenty of deals.  They'll also have plenty of seminars, bargains on things you didn't know you needed, and good company.  On second thought, maybe it would be cheaper to just buy it at Scheels, Cabelas, or some other vendor.  :-)
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 19, 2014, 01:15 AM »
Scheels in Minot had them for over $100 off in Jan last yr. I got an fl-18 genz pack for like $320 last yr. They also had good deal on the augers around this time. If we have a winter that is half as cold as last yr you can wait and get one later because  there will still be alot of  decent  fishing around this time.  Also you might be able to find a used one for a good price on bismanonline.com.
"Did you  clip your barbs,  you remember to clip your barbs."

Offline MLRTYM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Oct 19, 2014, 05:59 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I will be fine with the Genz pack and will try to make it to the cities for the ice fishing show. Off to Scheels today.

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 20, 2014, 10:04 AM »
I've bought my recent Vex's used and summer is the time to get one if going that route.  Picked up an FL-12 Ultra Pack last summer for $260 and this summer I got an FL-20 Pro Pack for $240 without a battery.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 20, 2014, 10:26 AM »
Reeds Sporting Goods usually has some pretty good deals, i got $20 off my Vexilar plus an extra battery for half price. that was the only decent sale i was able to find then.

Offline Duckbutter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Oct 20, 2014, 03:34 PM »
Isn't the best time to buy a Vex when all the Marcum's are sold out? :o

Ohhhhh, snap!
Part time dentist, full time father and fisherman

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 20, 2014, 03:54 PM »
"When to by my Vexilar?"
When they run out of MarCums..   :roflmao: :roflmao: :whistle: :whistle:

And when then sold out of lowrance and humminbird

Offline Retiredbum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 20, 2014, 06:15 PM »
I think mine is old, Its a FL8 SE   I bought it in 2003, But it still works great, and has the same battery , I use it for jigging.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 20, 2014, 09:29 PM »
Isn't the best time to buy a Vex when all the Marcum's are sold out? :o

Ohhhhh, snap!

Of course then when they are installing the latest upgrade to fix issues, he can be working on a limit of fish........LMAO!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.