The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: New strikemaster electric lithium lazer auger  (Read 10977 times)

Offline Ice max

• IceShanty Rookie
New strikemaster electric lithium lazer auger
« on: Oct 17, 2014, 07:22 PM »
b8C-w. Im thinking  about getting the new electric lithium lazer from strikemaster looks like one sweet electric auger has any one got there hands on one

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New strikemaster electric lithium lazer auger
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2014, 08:05 PM »
Ion has a 40 Battery. Is this the one with the 50?
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2014, 08:15 PM »
Man these things are as bad as cell phones by the time you figure how to work all it's functions there's a new one.  Any day now we're going to be cutting through the ice with real lasers and look back and scoff at "drilling".
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2014, 09:18 PM »
Looks like one bad 🐴auger.  Here we go with the drill is lighter than the auger......blah blah blah  Lets see it on the ice.
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline BobP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2014, 08:29 PM »
The strikemaster electric is about $100 more than the Ion.  That puts it out of my budget.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2014, 06:09 AM »
Costs more and weighs more than the Ion.

That being said, for any area that sees less than 24in of ice, a regular drill auger will do the job for less than $300. And weights about 10lbs. I had the Ion and sold it after a season with my drill setup.

This ones for you Ed =)

Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline trout stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2014, 07:33 AM »
Costs more and weighs more than the Ion.

That being said, for any area that sees less than 24in of ice, a regular drill auger will do the job for less than $300. And weights about 10lbs. I had the Ion and sold it after a season with my drill setup.

This ones for you Ed =)

(Image removed from quote.)

man id like to see that work with a ten inch auger lol battery # 12 please
No day too cold!!!!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2014, 10:07 AM »
man id like to see that work with a ten inch auger lol battery # 12 please

Id like to see a fish that requires a 10in hole lol

Offline PeterSaloom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2014, 10:18 AM »
I didn't know you sold the Ion. Nice new set up. Looks like the perfect size for run and gun.
Cheers,

Pete

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2014, 12:08 PM »
Got not much to do with the fish - I like a 10" hole too.  :P

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2014, 03:48 PM »
I agree...as the hole starts "freezin in" an 8 " goes to a 6" and a 6" goes to 5" or 4"...10 is definatly the best. Ther is no down side to a larger hole but I have seen the down side to a hole that is to small. Hey bait bucket...my friend tried the drill and adapter last year with a dewalt 18.  On a full charge he only got 21 holes thru 9" of ice. I was going to go that route until I saw his problems and I got the Ion. I know you liked the ion and just went lighter but did you have any problems? Obviously the 40 volt will outlast the 18??
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2014, 04:24 PM »
If you want power and reliability, try one of these. 👍

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 10, 2014, 04:32 PM »
I knew you would weigh in on this one.
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #13 on: Nov 10, 2014, 04:35 PM »
I knew you would weigh in on this one.
Nothing against the electric drills. Just another option for the folks that desire the larger holes and power for thicker ice. :-) To each their own :-)

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Nov 10, 2014, 04:59 PM »
I agree...as the hole starts "freezin in" an 8 " goes to a 6" and a 6" goes to 5" or 4"...10 is definatly the best. Ther is no down side to a larger hole but I have seen the down side to a hole that is to small. Hey bait bucket...my friend tried the drill and adapter last year with a dewalt 18.  On a full charge he only got 21 holes thru 9" of ice. I was going to go that route until I saw his problems and I got the Ion. I know you liked the ion and just went lighter but did you have any problems? Obviously the 40 volt will outlast the 18??

Hole covers take care of hole shrinkage, atleast they did on the sub zero + windchill overnight trips we did last season.

As for number of holes, i get about the same number of holes with the 2 batteries my drill came with as the ion did. I averaged 60-80 holes per trip last season with my drill setup thru 18in of ice..  Allan drilled 40 straight holes trying to kill the battery on my drill setup last season. I think he got tired and gave up before the drill ran out of juice lol

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 11, 2014, 11:12 AM »
Keith I was talking about Will 😀😀

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 11, 2014, 12:00 PM »

Many do.  Not only do some need it to even fit period but some also need it to just get them turned into the hole effectively.

It obviously depends on what your fishing for.  A 30+ walleye is thick, a 40+ pike is equally so, a 40+ laker is the same and through three or four feet of ice it can (is) be nearly impossible to get one to turn into a 10" hole let alone an 8 or 6".  Virtually any body of water I frequent regardless of my target that day has a good chance of producing a fish which does need a 10" and we'll catch a few each year. 

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Nov 11, 2014, 12:47 PM »
Many do.  Not only do some need it to even fit period but some also need it to just get them turned into the hole effectively.

It obviously depends on what your fishing for.  A 30+ walleye is thick, a 40+ pike is equally so, a 40+ laker is the same and through three or four feet of ice it can (is) be nearly impossible to get one to turn into a 10" hole let alone an 8 or 6".  Virtually any body of water I frequent regardless of my target that day has a good chance of producing a fish which does need a 10" and we'll catch a few each year.

Should prolly check your forums. This is the MA forums, and we dont have any fish that big.

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 11, 2014, 01:12 PM »
Should prolly check your forums. This is the MA forums, and we dont have any fish that big.

At all :o?

Well 10" makes sight fishing easier too whether it's for Gills or Ciscoe.   

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 11, 2014, 01:20 PM »
When I am sight fishing I just drill two holes, the second one at a nice angle, that way I don't have to lean over the hole... And using Will's (Baitbuckets) drill set up, it is very easy to bunch as many hole as we need...

Offline otzi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 11, 2014, 03:14 PM »
Every flippin' year it's the same thing and it will be this way until we can get out on the ice instead of desk fishing.
Suit up and show up!

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #21 on: Nov 11, 2014, 04:15 PM »
Anything that turns and cuts a hole is always better than chopping  ;D Size your hole ,to your target species  ;D My species is " BooYah"  :flex: :thumbsup: :roflmao: :icefish: Can't wait to hit the hard water!

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 11, 2014, 07:40 PM »
Every flippin' year it's the same thing and it will be this way until we can get out on the ice instead of desk fishing.

Already drilled my hole through my desk.  Used a 3" hole saw and a Milwaukee 18v drill 😀😀😀

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Nov 12, 2014, 03:56 AM »
Already drilled my hole through my desk.  Used a 3" hole saw and a Milwaukee 18v drill 😀😀😀

Pics or it didnt happen lol   :P

Offline trout stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 12, 2014, 09:21 AM »

I can tell ya the 30# pike I saw get caught on a lake near me by mike keough required a ten inch hole for sure
No day too cold!!!!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #25 on: Nov 12, 2014, 09:22 AM »
I can tell ya the 30# pike I saw get caught on a lake near me by mike keough required a ten inch hole for sure

No Sh!!! - MA has fish that big -  :o

Offline trout stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 12, 2014, 09:38 AM »
going back over ten years ago now my nephew hooked into a pike just fishing for what ever not even targeting them we ended up getting it 21# however we were using a gas auger with an eight inch bit and this fish barely squeezed through the hole even leaving scraping on one side of it and without a gaff it wasn't getting pulled through, now mikes fish @ 30# was coming through nothing short of a ten inch hole that thing was massive!!! Massive fish do exist in mass waters just not in the pure quantities of say Manitoba, however im not chancing that one time I encounter it to each there own its all in what works for you :)
No day too cold!!!!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Nov 12, 2014, 09:53 AM »

Lol i love this age old debate. Mainly because its backed up by simple math. The Circumference of a 10in hole in about 31". What this means is that a fish would need a girth of over 31" to squeeze thru a 10in hole. Now fish arent a solid hard object. They are squishy, so in reality you could squeeze a much larger fish thru a 10in hole. But thats another argument for another day.

For simple maths sake,a 50in pike with a girth of over 31" would weigh over 50lbs, a 5ft (60in) pike with a girth of over 31" would weigh over 60lbs. And these fish would fit lol
Whats that? It was a 6ft (72in) PIKE!! Ok then, a 6ft pike with a 31" girth would weigh over 70lbs..

So in reality your buddies 30# pike would have easily fit thru a 10in hole.

Dont take my word for it tho. Heres a vid of a 20# pike thru a 6in hole. (Warning - Foul Language) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fADPYqY9hP8

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #29 on: Nov 12, 2014, 10:14 AM »
I don't see the point in debating this hole size, just like the line debate. Some prefer small holes using tiny bait. Others prefer bigger holes using monster bait. Same thing with the line, some prefer 10 lb line others prefer 30+ lb. Line. Its all about how you will feel if and when your fish either snaps the line or won't fit through a smaller hole. Not everyone is gonna catch something too big for a 6" hole . Others like myself have and will catch another bass that WILL NOT fit through a 6" hole. I don't think charts based on length, weight, & girth can describe all fish. My 9.1 bass fit through a 9" and most likely an 8", however it was snug! Fishing is all about choices, failed techniques, new techniques, pointers from others, etc. It all boils down to your preference and that's about it. Adjust your methods as YOU see fit. Change what doesn't work and keep what does work. If you lose a monster because of a small hole or light line, lesson learned. Adjust your methods :-) I hope to see y'all really soon. Take care folks 👍

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.