Author Topic: Early Ice  (Read 1285 times)

Offline USAFicefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hooked Up
Early Ice
« on: Oct 17, 2014, 12:22 PM »
Can somebody please help a brother out with a early ice lake in the mountains. I would like to get on the ice at the end of the month or early Nov. This is only my second year ice fishing CO and I am looking for a little help. I am in the springs so anywhere around there would be great. I really hate to ask for spots but I am having a tuff time finding high mountain ponds. Thanks

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Early Ice
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2014, 12:43 PM »
You're not going to find anything close to the Springs that will be fishable that early. Your first ice will probably be at Tarryall, then Skagway, then Eleven Mile. I wouldn't count on safe ice before the middle of December. Don't be in too big of a hurry. It's not worth getting wet.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline USAFicefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hooked Up
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2014, 03:15 PM »
I'm with ya on not getting wet. I'm ok driving a ways just to get some where that the ice is safe

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2014, 02:24 PM »
I have a 4" manual auger that fits in my backpack and I've snowshoed up to Emma Lake for early ice.  It's still a little early.  Emma is about 3/4 mile-1 mile hike from Kite Lake at the base of Mt Democrat.  The fishing at Emma is OK for small cutts and brookies.  Be sure to take a spud bar or something to check the ice thickness because a lot of snow settles and collects on Emma Lake.  That can make the early ice very dangerous.  Though I've never iced it, Wheeler Lake would be a good bet for early ice too but my guess would be it's still 2-3 weeks away from being iced up.

Here's a couple of old photos from Emma.  Oh yeah, it can be windy up there.

Offline DoctorPerch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2014, 07:17 PM »
_Colorado:  Curious as to the auger you carry in your backpack - is this one you have modified to shorten it or is it a commercial brand?

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2014, 09:09 PM »
Hi DoctorPerch

It is a Strikemaster Mora - 4" diameter.  It fits in my backpack, not a daypack.  It's pretty light and cuts like a hot knife through butter with that 4" blade.  Hope this helps.

_colorado

Offline DoctorPerch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2014, 06:34 PM »
Yes, thank you _colorado.  I am always curious if someone has chopped off the length of an auger for easier transport during thinner ice periods.  Guess I will have to try it - I am older and fatter and more lazy than the you younger guys but still like to hoof it to a beautiful lake.  Yes, I bet that 4"er does fly through the ice.

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2014, 08:15 PM »
Hey, wait a minute!  I'm 57 years old Doc_P!  :P

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2014, 06:52 AM »
You guys are getting me worked up.  I may have to try a high mountain hike as soon as they freeze (and I'm 69).
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2014, 07:31 AM »
You guys are getting me worked up.  I may have to try a high mountain hike as soon as they freeze (and I'm 69).
Being 69 and getting worked up isn't a bad thing. LOL
<===Lefty===

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2014, 01:47 PM »
Flew back from CA yesterday morning.  Mostly open water up high.  It's looking a week or two later than the past few years.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2014, 01:53 PM »
Flew back from CA yesterday morning.  Mostly open water up high.  It's looking a week or two later than the past few years.
Dang -- oh, well.  Early November still isn't bad.  It has been a really warm fall this year.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline USAFicefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hooked Up
« Reply #12 on: Oct 27, 2014, 08:58 PM »
_colorado thanks for the info. If you ever want a fish mounted send me a message I do fish taxidermy and I will give you a great deal for helping me out.

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 27, 2014, 10:30 PM »
I had some setbacks the last few weeks with work and now a medical issue, so it looks like I won't be on in October like the past few years.  I had to sit on the couch (painfully) all weekend.  There should be good ice in several places this coming weekend though and I'm going to try to get out if I'm healed up.  Highs are barely above freezing for the rest of the week in some areas.  As long as the wind lays off enough to get a cap, it should be game on.  I'm thinking there were probably a select few protected spots that had fishable ice this past weekend.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.