Author Topic: test jigs for lead?  (Read 492 times)

Offline cooledge

• IceShanty Rookie
test jigs for lead?
« on: Oct 16, 2014, 08:53 PM »
I don't know if this has been discussed before. I searched for threads in the forums and couldn't find anything. I'm sure other people have a similar situation but maybe not for the same reason. My wife decided to organize my jigs by color. Yup, she mixed all of my jigs together. Over the past few years since they started talking about non-lead jigs and sinkers I've bought dozens of tungsten  ice jigs. I kept my lead jigs on the same shelf, obviously an accident waiting to happen. Does anyone know of a way to test or determine if they're lead besides scratching them? Some of the paints on them dry pretty hard so you don't have the softness of lead to show a mark. I'd hate to have to  can them, there are a couple hundred dollars worth. ???   

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: test jigs for lead?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2014, 09:44 PM »
That can be quite a task,but I think if you were to try playing around with a scale you might be able to separate the lead from the tungsten, if you reload your own bullets a powder scale will work or a cheap harbor freight digital one will work to my wife likes to clean up my work bench from time to time and I know how it can be  ;D

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2014, 10:36 PM »
Mine did that too lol. Wasn't as bad as your mess but she sorted all my lindy toads by color. The tungsten same colors as lead.  I picked them up could feel the weight difference being all the same size 14s. Good luck!

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2014, 12:58 AM »
get yourself a hard surface and start dropping them. lead with sound dull when dropped tungsten will give off a higher ting sound. you only need to drop them about 1-2 inches  i used my counter top.

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2014, 04:39 PM »
Oh you got one of those to. Seriously though. do the stated above drop test. Good luck.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2014, 06:12 AM »
Probably should go into your wife's stuff and rearrange things.  :o Then head to the hills.  ::) Try the drop thing.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline cooledge

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2014, 01:37 PM »
Thanks, some pretty simple ways to check them. I have a scale I use for reloading, and plenty of counter space so that should pretty much  do the trick. :thumbsup:

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2014, 07:00 PM »
Sounds like the wife has a job to do ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.