Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: lake (maps)  (Read 1294 times)

Offline swiafishingfool

• IceShanty Rookie
lake (maps)
« on: Oct 15, 2014, 03:34 PM »
I started icefishing about 10 yrs ago and its mainly been private ponds and very small lakes due to the fact that I didn't invest a lot of money into my gear but I've noticed around my house while getting my gear around that I've purchased about everything I need to be a successful ice fisherman except for one thing. I'm interested in buying lake maps (not navionics or lake chips), so is there any place where you can have contoured maps printed in large scale, and do I have to provide the initial map of the lake I want printed or is there a company that takes all the work out of it and just (prints upon payment). If anyone could shed some light on this subject, I would really appreciate it.
lake maps in looking for are : Lake Manawa, Three Mile Lake, Twelve Mile Lake, Lake Icara, Viking Lake, and Summit Lake. all of these are in Iowa and then Mozingo Lake in Missouri. :tipup:

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: lake (maps)
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2014, 07:07 AM »
Several of those lakes mentioned should be on the Iowa DNR website.  I can't always go right to it but search and ye shall find.  I think its what your looking for.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/Fishing/WheretoFish/LakesPondsReservoirs.aspx  .  Here is the link but I was disappointed as I thought I showed the lake contour.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2014, 09:13 AM »
http://limnology.eeob.iastate.edu/lakereport/bathymetricMap.aspx?ryear=2014&lake_ID=060&bk=57#57  <- this should be a sticky for the Iowa forum

You can save these as PDF's and print them out any size you'd like.

Another option is to buy a copy of Lakemaster PC - this lets you print custom maps for any body of water included in the application. http://www.fishinghotspots.com/ might also have what you want off the shelf.

You can screen shot the Navionics web app, crop in MS Paint (or other software) and print any size

If you want larger than your printer scale, take the files to a Kinkos or local print shop and they'll print from file for a fee.

Catchin' Fish

Offline swiafishingfool

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2014, 10:15 AM »
Thanks guys, both post were really helpful, I've got my maps saved onto a memory stick and I contacted my local graphics and printing shop and they told me they could print about any size I wanted so I guess Ill be reading maps instead of books this year. Happy ice fishing and stay safe on the ice

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2014, 10:38 AM »
You can screen shot the Navionics web app, crop in MS Paint (or other software) and print any size

If you can find a program on your computer called Snipping tool and lock it to your task bar ..works great for just getting things cropped and in your pictures files fast ...
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline yakker13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2014, 08:52 PM »
some of the DNR lake maps do have contours, as an example: file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/wok30.pdf
They just have to have the link to "Download Printable Lake Map" pdf, usually listed right above the map that shows up when you first click on a lake from the DNR list.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2014, 06:12 PM »
Yakker, you won't be able to post a file link from your computer, if you photobucket it or find the direct link people will be able to see.

Offline yakker13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2014, 10:57 AM »
Right, I knew that, just wasn't thinking (again). Here's the direct link: http://www.iowadnr.gov/Portals/idnr/uploads/fish/maps/lri27.pdf

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.