Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Scoutin new territory  (Read 775 times)

Offline ngarguello

• IceShanty Rookie
Scoutin new territory
« on: Oct 15, 2014, 03:01 PM »
I just recently moved to denison and have started scouting new areas to ice fish. I have a couple questions on some of the "local" ponds in my area, and your guys experience/knowledge would greatly be appreciated: ( not looking for your spots but just general info of the area)
Oldham rec area-
I have been fishing this pond very heavily the last couple weeks and havnt seen anything except very small bass.  I am very fond of this lake because it is located very close to a farm pond that i have permission to fish. The farm pond is loaded with panfish. Last year the bite slowed way done around noon so i was hoping to head to oldham to see what i can catch until i return to the farm pond later in the afternoon. Is ther anything else in that lake, or am just going to waste my time?

As stated before I live around the denison area. Anyone have any suggestions on what areas to scout apart from the already well known areas such as Lake view and swan lake? From driving around the area there seems to be many "rec area" ponds around but are generaly very hard to find without previous knowledge of them.

Thanks for info!

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Scoutin new territory
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2014, 02:23 PM »
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline redshackdistrict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2014, 07:24 AM »
Crawford creek and nelsons are 2 that are within a half hr of denison. I grew up there. Id get in good with the farmers in the area and find as many ponds as u can. Most guys will let u go as long as u ask and don't leave a bunch of trash on their land.

Offline bigtt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2014, 10:10 AM »
Oldham is hard to fish with the vey deep banks even in a boat. Have you been to Yellow Smoke Park just east Denison?

Offline ngarguello

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2014, 10:28 AM »
Thanks for the Info boys, Its greatly appreciated! Last year, i fished Nelson's once, and got skunked. That doesnt mean much becuase it was my first year fishing the hardwater, and im sure lack of expierance had a lot to do with it. Hoping to give it more of oppertunity this year. Also hoping to spend some time on Yellow Smoke. Fished it a coupe times during open water but never really had much success.  Its only 2 miles away but i usually tend to go somewhere that has provided more of a variety of species ( since i have only caught gills there).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.