The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Help on rod weight and length  (Read 634 times)

Offline NordicJigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Help on rod weight and length
« on: Oct 14, 2014, 04:18 PM »
Help.. There are so many choices out there. I have been looking for a great rod and reel setup. I have been looking at 13 fishing's tickle stick and a frabill in-line reel. What would be the best rod weight and length combo for perch, trout and the occasional bass? Not sure if Ul would be too light and if a 23" rod would handle the occasional 5# bass.

Thanks for any input.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: Help on rod weight and length
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2014, 07:35 PM »
My go-to rod is a 42" Bricker custom stick. It handles everything from perch to 25# pike. My next rod will by identical length and action but heavier power. 23" seems so short to me but got with what your comfortable with. They guys I know that fish hard don't have a lot great to say about the inline reels but lots of guys do live them. A good spinning real would be my first choice.

Offline Houdy66

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Calm and Fish On!!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2014, 08:15 PM »
My 42" ML handles everything from big perch to big Kokanee to big 6+ pound trout. I've got a 38" M Frabill ice hunter that I love as well. But it also depends on if you fish in a shelter much. If you fish inside or do much sight fishing, shorter rods are much more comfortable to use. In that case, I like my 26" L Frabill ice hunter. Never tried the inline reel, although I can see the advantage of having one for shallow water. Wouldn't do much good in deep water though.
To jig or not to jig... That is the question.

Offline flylinemt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2014, 11:24 PM »
I have a lot of different lengths & actions of rods . My favorites for hole hopping is a 32" noodle rod and then a 28" med lite & med actions. For reels for the money imo is the smallest Pflueger president. I've tried a couple inline reel setups & can't get myself to make the switch yet. In lines make sense , the way the line spools off . A good start is a rod with a fast tip with a good back bone .

Offline NordicJigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2014, 05:27 PM »
I just received a 13 Fishing Black Betty 6061 in the mail. Cabelas was having a sick sale on the them. Now, just to get the rod I ordered as well.

Offline BRIFISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2014, 05:39 PM »
I have a St. Croix 24" UL with 3# line and have caught everything from gills to bass, some were 4+ lbs.  I caught a 5 lb. Bass on a genz ice spooler last winter with 2# line and a light action.  UL just makes the bigger ones a challenge.

Offline NordicJigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2014, 10:48 AM »
I heard so much about Fishing 13s new products that I had to check them out. I bought the Black Betty reel and a 23" UL Tickle Stick, which hasn't arrived yet. Cabela's makes it so convenient to charge them on your Cabela's card and get the points. Win, Win!!  ;D

P.S. I have been playing around with the reel in my office showing all my coworkers. That free spool feature is pretty slick. My coworkers hope ice comes soon, so I'll shut up about it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.