Author Topic: Tickle Stick vs. Flat Line rod  (Read 30992 times)

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tickle Stick vs. Flat Line rod
« Reply #30 on: Oct 22, 2014, 05:54 PM »
Just got a 24" and a 32" Flat Liner today I like the 32 a lot, really don't care for the 24 but can't really say till I try it.

sunniewally

« Reply #31 on: Oct 22, 2014, 06:13 PM »
got my 32 today and i would have to say it should work quit good. for ten bucks its hard to beat.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Oct 22, 2014, 07:51 PM »
Tickle stick is all hype just like 90% of ice gear. Just my opinion. A good glass noodle with soft tip will do just fine. Save your money. The flat line should do just fine for much cheaper.

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Oct 22, 2014, 08:12 PM »
The 32 Flat Liner has plenty of back bone. I'm going to use it as a dead stick. At $10.00 it's a great rod. The tip is very light. I bent it all the way back to the next guide and think I could have gone around again. The eyes are pretty large. That was one thing I didn't like about the he Tickle Stick, small guides. The Flat Liner isn't in the same class as a custom noodle rod but for $10.00 it's pretty good.

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Oct 22, 2014, 09:21 PM »
My motto is, you get what you pay for!  I just got a Tickle Stick, and this thing is WELL worth the money!  The reel seat is one of the best I've seen, and the eyelets are top notch.  According to Matt from 13 Fishing, because the fibers run "linear" in the rod, not only will you be able to see the slightest bites, but feel them in the handle.  He even claims that up-bite detection will be much easier.  Do spring bobbers work?  Absolutely!  I still have a few rods with them on, but if I can get away without using one, I will.  They're just one more thing to mess with when I could be reeling in fish.  Obviously, I haven't tried out the Tickle Stick yet, but I can tell just by holding it and putting it through the motions that this rod will be my go to rod this year for panfish.  Paired with a No 8 CGI reel, this thing should be stellar!!

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Oct 22, 2014, 09:36 PM »
Nice looking rig. To each their own. If you like and think it is money well spent then thumbs up! Enjoy and tight lines.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Oct 23, 2014, 09:26 PM »
I need a rod that isn't crazy expensive, i want something that a lot of people love and would recommend for not so much money . What are some suggestions?

I really like the Jason Mitchell Meat Sticks.  They're not a ton of money and they are sweet rod.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Oct 24, 2014, 12:32 AM »
**No Warranty or Returns - Discontinued Model** New from frozen the mind of the Ice Hopper: The Flat Line Rod combines the visual sensitivity of a spring bobber and the near indestructibility of fiberglass.

Anyone else wonder about this? If its going to or is a very good rod why is it being discontinued? Im very interested in the TS and planned on getting 1 if not 2 but now you have sparked my curiosity. Although when you really look at the 2 rods they look nothing alike. All the eyes towards the end remind me of what most high end walleye rods look like. If anyone is getting both please share what you find.
"Did you  clip your barbs,  you remember to clip your barbs."

Offline jww311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Oct 24, 2014, 12:35 AM »
Those Flatline rods look like crap and probably are made like crap and probably fish like crap.  I looked at them after reading this thread but I am still going with the SUL ticklestick for my panfish rod.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #39 on: Oct 24, 2014, 04:14 AM »
Congratulations!  I dont think any of us here are trying to sell FlatLine rods over TickleSticks. Just sharing opinions bro. Its the only option I'm aware of at the moment to a newer rod on the market thats $40 more, thats about it.  You're $10 closer to your TS purchase....and that's great!   ;D

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Oct 24, 2014, 06:36 AM »
My motto is, you get what you pay for!  I just got a Tickle Stick, and this thing is WELL worth the money!  The reel seat is one of the best I've seen, and the eyelets are top notch.  According to Matt from 13 Fishing, because the fibers run "linear" in the rod, not only will you be able to see the slightest bites, but feel them in the handle.  He even claims that up-bite detection will be much easier.  Do spring bobbers work?  Absolutely!  I still have a few rods with them on, but if I can get away without using one, I will.  They're just one more thing to mess with when I could be reeling in fish.  Obviously, I haven't tried out the Tickle Stick yet, but I can tell just by holding it and putting it through the motions that this rod will be my go to rod this year for panfish.  Paired with a No 8 CGI reel, this thing should be stellar!!

So the ticklestick is basically a power noodle? For the price of one, you'd almost be at the price of a power noodle???

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #41 on: Oct 24, 2014, 06:42 AM »
Those Flatline rods look like crap and probably are made like crap and probably fish like crap.  I looked at them after reading this thread but I am still going with the SUL ticklestick for my panfish rod.

I thinks the build on the FL is good and I'm sure it will fish fine. I was messing with it last night and really like it.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Oct 24, 2014, 07:50 AM »
So the ticklestick is basically a power noodle? For the price of one, you'd almost be at the price of a power noodle???
I don't have any experience with the Power Noodle but I do know that the Tickle Stick is sweet. It all comes down to personal preference in the end. If the FL rod is what you want, that's what your gonna get! I bought the TS because the concept is sweet and I wanted to try it

Offline nickeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Oct 24, 2014, 08:00 AM »

Ok ill get one.... Should i get light or ultralight because i will be using this for perch as well

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Oct 24, 2014, 08:06 AM »
since this is the 1st year for the TS, i,m sure it will be around for some time. i hope those who have got them will give a review on IS early enough that us who haven,t can decide if this rod is the real deal. i, like many, want some positive feed back from real fishermen before i plunk down 50 bucks(not that prostaff aren,t real, just they,re so much better f,men than me, i want opinions of guys like me who fish for fun.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #45 on: Oct 24, 2014, 08:16 AM »
I don't have any experience with the Power Noodle but I do know that the Tickle Stick is sweet. It all comes down to personal preference in the end. If the FL rod is what you want, that's what your gonna get! I bought the TS because the concept is sweet and I wanted to try it

I think that's what the original post was pointing out the two rods concept is the same with a flat tip.
I'm a sucker for new rods and I'll more than likely have a TS or 2 when I have some cash to play with but for now I'll be rocking the FL.

Ok ill get one.... Should i get light or ultralight because i will be using this for perch as well

You have 2 wicked UL rods now I'd go with the 27" UL that would make a nice dead stick or jig rod.
Thomas Harris

Offline nickeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Oct 24, 2014, 08:31 AM »

You have 2 wicked UL rods now I'd go with the 27" UL that would make a nice dead stick or jig rod.
[/quote]

I have a white noise ul and a white noise ml, so your saying an ul would be best or should i get a l?

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #47 on: Oct 24, 2014, 09:11 AM »

I have a white noise ul and a white noise ml, so your saying an ul would be best or should i get a l?

I see, UL for small tear drop type jigs or L for jigging raps and spoons. What reel are thinking of pairing it with?
A straight line multiplying real would be killer for straight line fishing. I put a eagle claw on my flat line rod but I don't recommend it the reel sucks I basically rebuilt the dam thing so it would work. I'm looking in to the tight line plus for my next in line.

https://www.sportsmensdirect.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=4350&osCsid=2vv7474tpuu17t935t3if7iae4
Thomas Harris

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Oct 24, 2014, 09:21 AM »
I'm just a lover of all things 13.  I have had great luck with their products, and customer service.  A friend of mine had a open water rod break 6" from the tip.  Not only did they send a new one at no charge, but they sent a hat with it.  He didn't even pay for the original rod, he won it on one of their Facebook contests!

I have one of each of their rods, Whitenoise, Whiteout, Wicked, and now a Tickle Stick.  I love using the wicked, and may look at getting another one when they go on clearance in the spring.

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Oct 24, 2014, 09:25 AM »
I have never held the tickle stick but I have held a DH custom noodle and I can guarantee there is no mass produced rod that compares so if you are going to spend $50 on a tickle stick you just as well save $15 more bucks and buy a DH noodle rod w/ reg fly guides. Tickle stick is all hype and I say this without even holding one, just know how marketing works. If you honestly believe there is something special/different about the TS compared to a GOOD noodle rod like DH or TB or TUCR, you've been caught (pun intended).

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Oct 24, 2014, 09:26 AM »
So if you've never held it, how can you compare it?

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #51 on: Oct 24, 2014, 09:27 AM »
I'm just a lover of all things 13.  I have had great luck with their products, and customer service.  A friend of mine had a open water rod break 6" from the tip.  Not only did they send a new one at no charge, but they sent a hat with it.  He didn't even pay for the original rod, he won it on one of their Facebook contests!

I have one of each of their rods, Whitenoise, Whiteout, Wicked, and now a Tickle Stick.  I love using the wicked, and may look at getting another one when they go on clearance in the spring.

I know what your saying I'm a 13 fan also and have a wicked and like it but use my meat stick more.
I'll have a TS by next season I'm sure. I had the tip break on a meatstick and they sent me a pile of stickers iceforce discount card and a new rod.
Thomas Harris

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Oct 24, 2014, 09:31 AM »
So if you've never held it, how can you compare it?
Like I said, I don't need to. I've watched the videos etc and know how marketing works. Just me being stubborn maybe idk? By the way, I'm not saying its junk, just saying your money can be better spent elsewhere imo.

Offline GWK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Oct 24, 2014, 03:47 PM »
I will say this I got the 23 sul ticklestick rod and compared it to 2 of the top name brand power noodles that I own and use and the tickle stick is more sensitive at the tip then both  power noodles. a 3mm jig loads it more then both of them.  I am still waiting for a 27ul rod that should be here in a few more days. and will compare it to this one also. true test will be  when we get ice and actually use it.

Offline evers21g

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Oct 24, 2014, 10:08 PM »
I've seen this debate carrying on for some time now, so i decided i'm getting both and fishing both to give a solid review on here.  I bought the Tickle Stick as soon as it was available at my local bait shop because I went and looked at them and held it, and it is a VERY nice rod.  Not just all hype.  Not saying its better than anything else out there, just saying it is very nice.  I just placed an order for 2 24" and 1 32" Flat Line rods (can't go wrong for the price...always good to have a few back ups).  As soon as I am able to get out on the ice, i will let everyone know what i think of both. 

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Oct 24, 2014, 11:57 PM »
Went into Scheels today and saw they had them out and will be buying a TS or 2 once it gets a little closer to season. It felt great and seems to be a quality set up. I did also see #8 Tackle which is made by 13, also had a nice rod with a sensitive tip called The Snitch. Has anyone used this rod?
"Did you  clip your barbs,  you remember to clip your barbs."

Offline LateSeason

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Oct 25, 2014, 06:24 AM »
I purchased the snitch last week.  Should be an excellent perch rod.

Offline NEicebuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Oct 28, 2014, 11:44 AM »
what type of reel is on that one you have? And what would be the best reel to put on the tickle stick? ???

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Oct 28, 2014, 05:21 PM »
what type of reel is on that one you have? And what would be the best reel to put on the tickle stick? ???

6061 Black Betty.  Gander Mnt has them on a wicked good sale right now for half off!!

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #59 on: Oct 28, 2014, 06:42 PM »
6061 Black Betty.  Gander Mnt has them on a wicked good sale right now for half off!!

Be careful of 6061 @ half price. It's last years model and right hand. You reel with your right hand????
Leave Some For Seed

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.