Author Topic: Tickle Stick vs. Flat Line rod  (Read 31003 times)

Offline pisces

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tickle Stick vs. Flat Line rod
« on: Oct 14, 2014, 02:22 PM »
As someone else pointed out Sportsman Direct has something similar called a Flat Line rod out . It's only 8 and 10 dollars compared to $49.99 for the Tickle Stick. Does anyone have any experience with the Flat Line rod?

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tickle Stick vs. Flat Line rod
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2014, 12:17 PM »
Just like anything else, if you want one you will pay the price for the name and the hype. Sportsmans direct's flat line rod is 9.99 for a 32in. I'm sure there are some differences but not sure there would be $40 difference. Have not used either, just basing this assumption off the way marketing and businesses operate. By the way, Sportsmans offered these in Oct of 13 so don't believe all the hype that the tickle stick is the first and best and greatest and blah blah flat rod on the market. I'm not saying its junk by any means, just saying the tickle stick is probably not worth 4x the money. Could very well be wrong.....

Offline brink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2014, 12:38 PM »
I guess I don't quite understand the advantage of the tickle stick.  Don't spring bobbers work well enough?
That's some tasty iced tea.

Offline HARDasICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2014, 02:07 PM »
I recently ordered the flat lines with in line reels. Very inexpensive so we will see. If nothing else, I have more combos in the ice fever collection. ;D

Offline pisces

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2014, 02:33 PM »
I ordered the 32 inch and the 24 inch for 18 bucks worth a shot . I want to compare against the Tickle Stick but I am not going to spend 49.99 dollars though.

Offline LateSeason

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2014, 06:18 PM »
I checked out the tickle sticks today at a local store.
Just couldn't bring myself to getting one because to me there was way to much noodle and not enough backbone.
I'll let everyone else try them out and see if they change anything on the next revision.

Ended up picking up a no.8 Snitch and the CGI reel.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2014, 06:33 AM »
LateSeason, was that rod the super ultra light? One of our members mentioned he thought the 27" ultra light was pretty stiff except for the tip....just wondering....haven't had a chance to hold one yet.....appreciate the info.

Offline NDiceMan72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2014, 07:06 AM »
What is the action on the 24" flat line rod?? Just curious, think I'm gonna buy one from Sportsmens Direct.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2014, 07:20 AM »
Yea I looked at both web sites and looked at the Tickle stick on Youtube. If I was in the market for a new rod I would be buying the Flat Line to try out. Looks good to me.
<===Lefty===

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 19, 2014, 07:24 AM »
just emailed sportsmen's direct. will see what they say

Offline LateSeason

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 19, 2014, 08:23 AM »
LateSeason, was that rod the super ultra light? One of our members mentioned he thought the 27" ultra light was pretty stiff except for the tip....just wondering....haven't had a chance to hold one yet.....appreciate the info.

The 27" lite was stiffer and had more backbone, but i didn't care for the eyelets.  Not to say they don't work better or any different then the standard ones. 
The end eyelets just seemed small and looked like they would build up ice.
I just wasn't willing to make the $50 gamble.  Might next year after we hear some reports on how they actually work.
The build quality on the tickle sticks looked excellent.  Didn't notice any aberrations in the shaft, wrapping, eyelets, glue etc between the different tickle sticks I looked at.

Those of you who are getting the Flat Line rods, please report back here with your opinions.

Just and fyi, I tend to gravitate towards rods that have a sensitive tip yet plenty back bone. 
If the rod will bend 3/4 the way to the handle its to much of a noodle for me.

sunniewally

« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2014, 08:29 AM »
we'll see how it works. be nice if the tip is close to a jm meat stick and be durable as they say. ordered one today.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 19, 2014, 09:08 AM »
I just got a 24" flatline rod last week. I had a hard time justifying the price of ticklestick when I was looking at an ultralight. The tip feels a lot like a flat metal spring bobber, I can easily bend it back 180 degrees, should work very nicely. The rest of the rod feels stiffer than any UL rod I've ever used, but I think that's a good thing, feels like I'd get some better hook sets than my "regular" UL Berkley rods. The handle and overall quality seems really good for an $8 rod. I'd buy these over the Ice Blues for sure.

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 19, 2014, 09:23 AM »
The flatline rod is meant to be used as a deadstick but theyre also door those who like to watch the tip when they jig

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Oct 19, 2014, 10:50 AM »
The 27" lite was stiffer and had more backbone, but i didn't care for the eyelets.  Not to say they don't work better or any different then the standard ones. 
The end eyelets just seemed small and looked like they would build up ice.
I just wasn't willing to make the $50 gamble.  Might next year after we hear some reports on how they actually work.
The build quality on the tickle sticks looked excellent.  Didn't notice any aberrations in the shaft, wrapping, eyelets, glue etc between the different tickle sticks I looked at.

Those of you who are getting the Flat Line rods, please report back here with your opinions.

Thank You.....Appreciate hearing your thoughts and reply.  :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline FishingFever!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Oct 19, 2014, 11:39 AM »
Iceshanty never fails me!!!! I came across the tickle stick for the first time yesterday, and walked away from it. Let me tell ya it wasn't easy but wanted to do some reading on them.  The rod felt good in the hands, but. Didn't seem to have much back bone. I felt like it would be great for bluegill and smaller crappies. Anything bigger and I'm not sure it's going to have the power. That being said if you specialize gills it would be worth a shot.

Thanks for starting the thread, looking forward to hearing more.

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 19, 2014, 02:10 PM »
My 27" UL tickle stick has plenty of backbone.

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 19, 2014, 02:18 PM »
I ordered the UL and L.   After reading all these posts starting to wonder if I made the wrong decision.   Preordered and still waiting to get them yet.   
Thanks for all the input. 

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 19, 2014, 05:45 PM »
just emailed sportsmen's direct. will see what they say
here is their response: "24" is similar to a light action blank below the tip, while the 32" is similar to a ML/L action. We have quite a few customers that use the 32" as a dead stick walleye/big perch rod..."

Offline nickeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 19, 2014, 08:42 PM »
Im seeing people saying it has back bone and some saying it doesn't. What should i do ? get it or no

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 19, 2014, 09:31 PM »
I looked at the Tickle Sticks and feel $49.00 is kind of over priced. Decided to buy 2 flat line rods from Sportsman Direct. Got a 24" and a 32" for $17.00. From what I can tell they are pretty good rods, time will tell. The most I wouldbe out is $23.00 including shipping.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Oct 20, 2014, 05:21 AM »
Did the same thing last night DanJ. I wanted 2 of the TickleSticks as Christmas gifts for my sons, 1 for me, $150 plus S/H.
Ordered a couple 32" FlatRods as gifts...not a great loss if they're not that great...also not expecting a custom rod for 10 bucks either! I'm waiting to see and handle the TS myself. Thanks for all your opinions guys, keep them coming....that's what makes this site great! Tight lines!  :icefish:

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #22 on: Oct 20, 2014, 07:28 AM »
I just ordered a 32" flatline for jigging spoons and dead sticking for walleye and northers. I will pair it with a Shimano Sonora 1000. I have been using a 32" ice blue and hate how if doubles over with a large fish.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Oct 20, 2014, 07:36 AM »
Im seeing people saying it has back bone and some saying it doesn't. What should i do ? get it or no
I would be waiting until the end of this season for the good reviews.
<===Lefty===

Offline FishingFever!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Oct 20, 2014, 10:29 AM »

I would recommend going somewhere you can hold the rod for yourself. Even tho I walked away from it the other day I might still end  up picking it up.. I have 2 more rods built by 13 and really enjoy them well worth the money. 

Offline nickeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 20, 2014, 11:36 AM »
I need a rod that isn't crazy expensive, i want something that a lot of people love and would recommend for not so much money . What are some suggestions?

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #26 on: Oct 20, 2014, 01:13 PM »
I need a rod that isn't crazy expensive, i want something that a lot of people love and would recommend for not so much money . What are some suggestions?

I thought you were getting 2 TS's Nick, did you change your mind?
Thomas Harris

Offline nickeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Oct 20, 2014, 07:02 PM »
I thought you were getting 2 TS's Nick, did you change your mind?

With everyone all over i canceled my order.........

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #28 on: Oct 21, 2014, 06:10 AM »
With everyone all over i canceled my order.........

Got ya, well you can't go wrong with the wicked or whit noise they are nice.
You should really look into the meat stick line if you want UL the tip loads with the smallest of jigs and detects a lift bite.
Thomas Harris

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #29 on: Oct 22, 2014, 05:32 PM »
Got my flat line rod today and like it allot I put my inline on her for straight line fishing light bites. I'll be ordering one more of each tomorrow.
Thomas Harris

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.