The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tip ups for a newbie  (Read 1021 times)

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
Tip ups for a newbie
« on: Oct 13, 2014, 10:06 PM »
Hey guys I was considering purchasing some tip ups this year to add to my gear. I have never used them or even been around them so any info would be greatly appreciated. Which ones are the best and worst? What style works the best? What types of set ups should I be running with them (I can't use live bait where I'm at). I usually fish for Lakers and I'm starting to get into ling which is where I would want to use these. Thanks for the help

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
Re: Tip ups for a newbie
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2014, 10:14 PM »
If you are fishing for Ling with still bait, I would recommend the Jaw Jackers. Go onto Youtube and search Jaw Jacker, you will find lots of good info there.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2014, 10:18 PM »
I have an automatic fisherman and it works well and I have made a few automatic hook setters that do the job I was just wanting to try something else. Otherwise I will have to buy some more rods which I guess isn't a bad thing now that I think about it

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2014, 10:56 PM »
The only down side to any automatic hook setting tipup is the fact it will freeze up in the hole unless your constantly cleaning them out. 

Then they fail to work and the fish gets his dinner.
Don

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2014, 11:48 PM »
May want to look into some ice riggers by HT. I've been using them for some time on lake trout and love em. I use a 4' ugly stick rods  which is nice for a larger fish. There's some good video on You tube as well. I use a tube jig with a dead salted minnow for bait. Also works very well for burbout.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2014, 11:53 PM »
Here is one in action

In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2014, 07:50 AM »
These ones look cool and made right here in Wyoming.

http://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?topic=64931.0

Offline Retiredbum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2014, 08:27 AM »
I use HT Lakers , there Sturdy And you can get parts for them, They last for years. Caught many of trout on them.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2014, 04:08 PM »
I guess the real question is do you want to keep the holes clean regularly. If not go for some thermal tip-ups with the lights, if so then i would X2 appleye. I have 2 of the riggers and use them every year on the gorge for burbot. My buddy has 2 thermals and does ok, about the same for the rigger and tip-ups for burbot with us. I prefer to use close faced on my riggers. For burbot we have the most luck on our plain rods. Some times them things just sit there and suck on your bait without tripping anything. A good strike indicator with a small glow light zipped tied to it does the best for us and of course some bells for the aggressive ones
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2014, 05:26 PM »
If you're considering using "tip-downs", the Arctic Warriors are pretty nice too. I have some of the HT Riggers and they take up more space and weigh a bit more as well. These are light, compact and highly sensitive to light biters. That being said, I use them seldom as I like to move around more than most, and the holes are unprotected as well. But at DeSmet, they're killers on the trout!

Ready!

Set!

TROUT!

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 15, 2014, 01:42 PM »
I was just watching an old episode of in depth outdoors and they were using I fish pro tipus still a rod and reel but the mechanism covers the entire hole so it won't freeze near as bad. Looks like the perfect set up for me. Does anyone have any experience with them? Here is a link to their page http://ifishpro.com

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #11 on: Oct 15, 2014, 02:15 PM »
If the primary purpose will be nightfishing, you my want a tipup (not a rod setter/rod holder). As we all know, when nightfishing the temps sometimes drop out the bottom. I prefer a polar style, round polar, or heritage laker style. Here are my recommendations.

Polar style:
HT polar- For a mass produced rail design, they perform well and rarely freeze up. You may want to take each apart and lube the main shaft with Frabil sub-zero grease.
http://htent.com/catalog/item.php

Round style:
Polar thermal extreme- a great tip-up, but often times we have had freezeup issues. This issue was remedied by foam or rubber hole covers.
http://htent.com/catalog/inventory.php?fam=110&cat=3&new=

Pop-up style:
Magnetic pop-up Pretty sweet design. Use reflective tape on the inner shaft for longe range-night-time visibility. Haven't had any iceup issues with this style.
http://htent.com/catalog/inventory.php?fam=110&cat=7&new=

Heritage Laker: There's like a cult following for these tipups. Do a search on this site and check out guys who have hand-crafted and customized thier own. Looks great for overnight and extreme cold weather fishing. This is the only style I haven't personally field tested.
http://www.heritagetraps.com/036036.html

I hope my short tip-up review has helped in your decision making. Sometimes I nerd out about fishing gear, can you tell?
So many fish, so little time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.