Author Topic: Iace augers  (Read 6228 times)

Offline YoungGun96

• IceShanty Rookie
Iace augers
« on: Oct 13, 2014, 12:10 PM »
So I bought a jiffy spent close to 500$ on it and when all was said and done it lasted about a year and a half before it destroyed its self. So I'm done with crap and am willing to spend the money on something good. What is the BEST QUALITY ice auger? And please no brand bashing.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Iace augers
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2014, 12:32 PM »
So I bought a jiffy spent close to 500$ on it and when all was said and done it lasted about a year and a half before it destroyed its self. So I'm done with crap and am willing to spend the money on something good. What is the BEST QUALITY ice auger? And please no brand bashing.
when you say it destroyed itself, how or what went wrong I havent heard much bad about jiffy and have owned a few over the years and havent had any major problems with any of them I have a pro 4 now and its the best auger I have ever owned, what model did you have??

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2014, 01:13 PM »
And did you contact Jiffy about your problem?? If not, why not?? If you did, what did they say?? Or was the destruction caused by misuse? I wouldn't call Jiffy crap!!! There are many satisfied Jiffy owners on this site, as well as many other brands! So tell us how the auger self destructed!! :whistle:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2014, 02:23 PM »
And did you contact Jiffy about your problem?? If not, why not?? If you did, what did they say?? Or was the destruction caused by misuse? I wouldn't call Jiffy crap!!! There are many satisfied Jiffy owners on this site, as well as many other brands! So tell us how the auger self destructed!! :whistle:

bet you don't get a reply. LOL !!!

HIMO
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline YoungGun96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2014, 02:36 PM »
The bolt holding the piston onto the crank shaft came loose and rattled around in the engine turning the inside into metal shards. Also the heat shield and plastic rattled loose and melted. I called jiffy and they wouldn't warranty the heat shield and plastic, but they sold every piece that melted as a quit. And then the screw came loose and they said they would not warranty it. So if anyone needs a gas tank, blades, heat shield or fighting I have it for sale. I believe it was an sdi60?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2014, 02:42 PM »
The connecting rod bolts came loose?! 90% of those failures are from lack of oil, high heat, or excessive torque on the engine, causing the rod to seize on the crank, snapping the bolt. Just wondering what oil/oil ratio you were running at, or if you really "bore down" on the auger while drilling, as this really stresses the lower engine components. Could be a factory fudge, too...
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2014, 02:43 PM »
bet you don't get a reply. LOL !!!

HIMO
I really didn't expect one either HIMO, but every day holds surprises!!!  Jiffy should have just replaced the whole auger!! Sounds like there could be more to this than meets the eye, as they say!  :whistle: :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Icehole9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2014, 03:38 PM »
I don't think any brand would be good for you if it is to much trouble to tighten a screw to keep the plastic from melting, just saying

Offline YoungGun96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2014, 05:46 PM »
I was out one day running it and heard a little rattling and by the time i looked down the muffler was melting the shield. When i replaced the plastic parts all the screws had lock tight put on them to eliminate that. And as for oil, I was running the 40:1 oil to gas ration. I run husky oil and premium gas in the small engines. As for bearing down on it, i wasn't there when it broke, my dad had taken it out for the day so I don't know what pressure was put on it!

Offline ice nazi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2014, 08:13 PM »
I find it hilarious that you ask for no brand bashing yet that's exactly what you've done. I've been a jiffy owner for about the last 20 years and think they make a great auger. A few minor issues along the way but I'm sure you'll experience that with any brand. If you want the best, get a husky.
The tug is the drug

Offline YoungGun96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 14, 2014, 08:21 AM »
I find it hilarious that you ask for no brand bashing yet that's exactly what you've done. I've been a jiffy owner for about the last 20 years and think they make a great auger. A few minor issues along the way but I'm sure you'll experience that with any brand. If you want the best, get a husky.
Is it a jiffy model 30 you use? Those are bulletproof! You couldn't kill them if you tried! I don't hate jiffy, the older ones are amazing just the ONE that I had, had issues so I'm looking at trying a different brand and was wondering what other people thought the best quality was! I've heard husky and tanaka, any other ones to look at?

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 14, 2014, 08:52 AM »
I was out one day running it and heard a little rattling and by the time i looked down the muffler was melting the shield. When i replaced the plastic parts all the screws had lock tight put on them to eliminate that. And as for oil, I was running the 40:1 oil to gas ration. I run husky oil and premium gas in the small engines. As for bearing down on it, i wasn't there when it broke, my dad had taken it out for the day so I don't know what pressure was put on it!

Most small engines are not made to run premium, premium burns to hot for what most small engines are designed for.  I have seen more than one auger burn up because it had premium as a constant fuel source. 
Blake from Elbow

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 14, 2014, 08:24 PM »
Most small engines are not made to run premium, premium burns to hot for what most small engines are designed for.  I have seen more than one auger burn up because it had premium as a constant fuel source.

you got that right.  stihl makes an awesome power head as well. 

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #14 on: Oct 15, 2014, 12:43 PM »
I've heard husky and tanaka,

Husky if you want an 8", Tanaka if you want a 10".  @)
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline IceMan08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 16, 2014, 10:19 PM »
Husky if you want an 8", Tanaka if you want a 10".  @)

Why a Husky if you want an 8"?  I run a 10" on mine and it works every bit as good as the 8".

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #16 on: Oct 17, 2014, 11:51 AM »
I had the 8" and 10" for mine as well and it worked fine but the Tanaka TIA 350 just rips way harder with the 10" on it.

I don't have a bad thing to say about Husqvarna augers, super light and very ergonomic. I miss mine!!

You can't really go wrong with any of the major brands right now, they all have their pros/cons.

Offline Pants

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a kid fishing and share our sport!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 31, 2014, 10:54 AM »
The bolt holding the piston onto the crank shaft came loose and rattled around in the engine turning the inside into metal shards. Also the heat shield and plastic rattled loose and melted. I called jiffy and they wouldn't warranty the heat shield and plastic, but they sold every piece that melted as a quit. And then the screw came loose and they said they would not warranty it. So if anyone needs a gas tank, blades, heat shield or fighting I have it for sale. I believe it was an sdi60?

What size flighting? 8 or 10"?
Teach your children, but never be afraid to let them teach you

Offline The Beachcomber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 31, 2014, 06:21 PM »
Nothing but Chinese crap parts out there nowadays.  I am looking at a new auger this year.  My Eskimo shark Z51 lasted 7 years, problems with the carb and choke, the parts for the model aren't made anymore.  I used to have a Jiffy that lasted 23 years with very few issues but now all I hear is problems from owners since the move away from Tecumseh parts.

Pricing models out, looks like Wholesale Sports is the cheapest, not the best selection but they beat Fishing Hole and Cabellas.

Offline YoungGun96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Oct 31, 2014, 08:55 PM »
What size flighting? 8 or 10"?
8" flighting

Offline YoungGun96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Oct 31, 2014, 08:56 PM »
Nothing but Chinese crap parts out there nowadays.  I am looking at a new auger this year.  My Eskimo shark Z51 lasted 7 years, problems with the carb and choke, the parts for the model aren't made anymore.  I used to have a Jiffy that lasted 23 years with very few issues but now all I hear is problems from owners since the move away from Tecumseh parts.

Pricing models out, looks like Wholesale Sports is the cheapest, not the best selection but they beat Fishing Hole and Cabellas.
Agreed! So i think we settled on a tanaka power head with a 10" strike master flighting!

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #21 on: Nov 04, 2014, 07:23 AM »
If you can find a used Jiffy model 35 with a 8" I would suggest buying it, I've drilled 1,000's upon 1,000's of holes with mine over the years, watching new Jiffy and Eskimo augers fail around me. The new stuff is junk, plastic and -30*C weather is a poor combination, anything with plastic handles is a huge fail in my books.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 04, 2014, 07:26 AM »
I have an old Strikemaster with the same tecumseh motor, in my opinion the most reliable easiest to start of any auger I've ever seen.

Offline daniels papa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 04, 2014, 09:44 AM »
i also have a jiffy model 30 .its about 30 yrs old and never had any trouble what ever.it might be a little heavier and slower than the newer ones but it keeps on running...

Offline Jdawgsk1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 04, 2014, 10:12 PM »

2years ago my dad gave me his eskimo stingray that crapped out on him with carb problems I think it only lasted him 2-3 years. I was able to bring it back to life by  for a bit by cleaning the carb but that only lasted so long. My next course of action was to replace the carb I was actually able to find a Chinese carb on eBay for 12 bucks that fit and worked perfectly. Just measure the bore of your carb and search it on eBay you will find a perfect replacement and cheap enough to keep a spare.

Offline Blaine Lutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 10, 2014, 05:06 PM »
Is it a jiffy model 30 you use? Those are bulletproof! You couldn't kill them if you tried! I don't hate jiffy, the older ones are amazing just the ONE that I had, had issues so I'm looking at trying a different brand and was wondering what other people thought the best quality was! I've heard husky and tanaka, any other ones to look at?

See if a 2014 Jiffy is bulletproof!!  If he's talking the newer chinese ones, then there is no need to bash, they will take care of it on their own.  Yes, the old tecumseh's were good, not so anymore.
Always willing to try something new.

Offline Blaine Lutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 10, 2014, 05:11 PM »
If you can find a used Jiffy model 35 with a 8" I would suggest buying it, I've drilled 1,000's upon 1,000's of holes with mine over the years, watching new Jiffy and Eskimo augers fail around me. The new stuff is junk, plastic and -30*C weather is a poor combination, anything with plastic handles is a huge fail in my books.

(Image removed from quote.)

You still have to be careful.  OLDER Jiffy's were bulletproof, but even five or so previous to the chinese ones, they were so damn finicky with the air fuel mixtures.  I had a couple and they were just a hassle.  You could fiddle with them to get them to work well, but if it was ten degrees colder out tomorrow, you are fiddling again.  Sorry but when my friend is sitting on his chair and mine is still warming up, i'm jealous and want rid of the auger.  BTW, LAYNE, I HAVE YOUR OLD HUSKY and you aren't getting it back. ;D
Always willing to try something new.

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #27 on: Nov 11, 2014, 04:25 AM »
BTW, LAYNE, I HAVE YOUR OLD HUSKY and you aren't getting it back. ;D

:o

Haha awe man I probably would buy it back too, that thing was my baby and caught us tons of fish. Great auger, hope it treats you well!

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 11, 2014, 07:55 AM »
You still have to be careful.  OLDER Jiffy's were bulletproof, but even five or so previous to the chinese ones, they were so damn finicky with the air fuel mixtures.  I had a couple and they were just a hassle.  You could fiddle with them to get them to work well, but if it was ten degrees colder out tomorrow, you are fiddling again.  Sorry but when my friend is sitting on his chair and mine is still warming up, i'm jealous and want rid of the auger.  BTW, LAYNE, I HAVE YOUR OLD HUSKY and you aren't getting it back. ;D

I am talking the older models I think mine is from the late 1980s my strike master is from about the same time. I've never had to fiddle with the air fuel mixture knock on wood, mine is the type that's the beast you pull the cord you drill the holes and start fishing.

Offline hottrodd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Nov 12, 2014, 08:24 PM »
I think everyone agrees the old Jiffy 30's were the best augers ever made. Mine bounced around the back of the truck for 21 years, drilled probably 30000 holes. Never started worth a **** right from new but always ran.2 yrs ago i decided it was worn out and sold the old Jiffy. Replaced it with a new jiffy. Throttle broke off 1st week. by the end of the first season it was in worse shape than the old 30. Last year went with an Eskimo Z71. Drilled crazy fast but vibrated all to hell until one of the blades broke off the flighting. This year Im going with a strike master with a honda four stroke. Same auger for 21 yrs then 3 in 3 yrs. I wish someone would build the old Jiffy 30 again!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.