Author Topic: Trailer  (Read 720 times)

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
Trailer
« on: Oct 12, 2014, 02:34 PM »
Welcome back everyone!  I finally bought a trailer for my sleds so I can haul them out to the lake and hit up all my secret spots in stealth mode.  However... I want to redo the deck of the trailer before it gets too cold.

I am 100% putting SuperGlides or Gator Guides on it.

The big question is...

Should I use puckboard or plywood?  I obviously would use treated plywood, but what is everyone's take on using puckboard and then screwing down the ski guides to that?

Its only a 8x12' trailer, simple enough job to do.
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Trailer
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2014, 06:07 PM »
I'd go with plywood. The weight of puck board/UHMW that would be thick enough to work as a trailer deck would be substantial, way more than plywood. Not to mention, that deck would be absolutely deadly once it get's a slight skim of snow on it, super slippery.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2014, 07:51 PM »
marine plywood is the ticket,I am looking for rough cut lumber as my finances are tight.

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2014, 06:02 PM »
I was figuring plywood is the choice to stick with, ill have to look into marine plywood.  Thanks guys!
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2014, 09:58 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't spend the extra $ on marine plywood, regular old pressure treated plywood will do just fine. Marine grade plywood actually isn't any more rot resistant than plain old exterior grade plywood, it's only difference is in strength. It's made with all veneer (surface) grade layers throughout, so it's got no internal knot holes to weaken the structure. It's made from the same type of wood, and uses the same type of glue as regular plywood.

I did a ton of research on plywood when looking for a material to re-build the transom in my boat this summer, and those were my findings on "marine grade" plywood.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline Kim

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy,fishy I'm not stuck! Just need traction
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2014, 07:50 AM »
I would use the plywood that they use for road signs. Not sure what its called though.
Gonna get me a 16" Perch this year.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2014, 01:54 PM »
I have just got the planks that mine came with, but plywood should work well. Thinking of putting glides on it yet this year, picked up a superclamp for it this spring.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.