Author Topic: Scents  (Read 4102 times)

Offline pisces

• Team IceShanty Regular
Scents
« on: Oct 12, 2014, 09:49 AM »
What kind of scents are added to plastics ? Also, what is the best way to add scents to plastics? Thanks!

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Scents
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2014, 01:05 PM »
Anise oil on my plastics.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline GWK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2014, 03:44 PM »
X2 anise oil on plastics

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2014, 05:28 PM »
Agreed on the anise x3

Read that you can make your own anise oil by using the seeds and soak them in vodka...2-3 months .Any body try this?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2014, 05:32 PM »
worm oil is often used either in the cold or hot plastisol. Scents are often added to the plastisol when making the plastics but can be added afterwards.
I would just squirt your favorite scent into the bag or jar of plastics and let it soak in awhile before using. A few days in advance will work good but adding shortly before using should work fine also.
Anise works good. You can buy it at the grocery store. Some guys like garlic oil.
I like to buy the Procure brand scents. Pick the ones that sound good and try them out.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline pisces

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2014, 08:32 AM »
Thanks, that was what I was wondering about . If you could buy different scents out there , then put them in a plastic bag or jar with some plastics .Is there any oil or scent out there that you couldn't put in a plastic bag?

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2014, 11:59 AM »
"I like to buy the Procure brand scents"  is all i use !

http://pro-cure.com/store/

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2014, 07:51 PM »
I have a small container with some anise oil mixed in Vaseline that I sometimes dip my jigs In, cant say for sure if it makes a difference or not, I also use fish oil once in a while, now that I do believe does work In the summer for channel cats in the river, but I dont think I would want to add it to plastics the smell is very strong and it doesnt come off your hands to easy either, I have a friend that is a diabetic and I get a needle off of him and use it to suck the fish oil out of the pill then I inject it into my bait, works real good and you dont have to worry about the fish oil spilling like if it were in a bottle every pill is its own little non spilling bottle

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2014, 09:10 PM »
I have a small container with some anise oil mixed in Vaseline that I sometimes dip my jigs In, cant say for sure if it makes a difference or not, I also use fish oil once in a while, now that I do believe does work In the summer for channel cats in the river, but I dont think I would want to add it to plastics the smell is very strong and it doesnt come off your hands to easy either, I have a friend that is a diabetic and I get a needle off of him and use it to suck the fish oil out of the pill then I inject it into my bait, works real good and you dont have to worry about the fish oil spilling like if it were in a bottle every pill is its own little non spilling bottle
Procure makes a bottle with a needle mounted in the cap. It comes empty and you fill it with your scent of choice.
I use it for injecting herring oil in my baits when saltwater fishing jig the summertime and sometimes when pike fishing with deadbait(legally must use deadbait here) in the ice season.
KasilofChrisN

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2014, 09:15 PM »
Thanks, that was what I was wondering about . If you could buy different scents out there , then put them in a plastic bag or jar with some plastics .Is there any oil or scent out there that you couldn't put in a plastic bag?
Not that I'm aware of.
I would think any scent product would work in a plastic bag.
Soft plastics are sold in laminated plastic bags so the oils don't leach out of the bags in the store. So I would recommend a thicker bag if your not using the container they came in. Something like the thicker freezer bags.
The oil is sometimes added as part of the bait making process but is also used so the baits do not stick together in the retail packaging.
KasilofChrisN

Offline OIM

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2014, 09:47 AM »
Get some Berkley Gulp maggots. You can use the and also dip you bait in the jar they came in. I've used Megastrike with success. Just put a dab on the body, not the whip tail. Also want to try JJ's magic this year. Works great for bass in open water. Don't see why it wouldn't work in the winter. Plus you can change or customize the baits color.
Don't fall in. Unless it's a big one.

Offline barrelslime

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2015, 01:52 PM »
crappie nibbles
Biggest Crappie 17 1/2 "

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2015, 02:41 PM »
Pautzkes Liquid Krill on nymph/scud plastics, Bog Baits Leech oil on leech imitations and their Worm Juice on worm types with Juiced Up Goby Gel or Smelly Jelly Baitfish for minnows. All work well year around

Kyle_J

« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2015, 12:46 AM »
Anise works great on plastics.

Offline striperman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2015, 07:46 AM »
I have used a veriety of these scents and really like them a lot.
http://www.bioedgefishing.com/
It's not how deep you fish,
Its how you wiggle your worm

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.