The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Planning a Pike Trip  (Read 1371 times)

Offline MeatBall413

• Team IceShanty Regular
Planning a Pike Trip
« on: Oct 09, 2014, 08:31 PM »
Been up to Gill's and had a blast a bunch of  times. Not knocking it, but, looking for bigger fish this year. Any recommendations? Thinking maybe Maine
I always thought my buddies were being nice by letting me walk out first. Then I realized I'm a lot more buoyant than they are.

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
Re: Planning a Pike Trip
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2014, 08:57 AM »
Sabatus in Maine can give you some good Pike fishing but you'll find a lot of the same 4lbs to 8 or so with the ocassional double digit fish mixed in.  You want monsters CT is a good bet but the numbers won't be there. You'll have some flagg less days. Me I could chase flaggs all day on Champlain pulling the cookie cutter Pike with the chance of a biggun. Beats watching the flaggs stuck down.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2014, 05:13 PM »
There are acouple places around the Lee area that did well last season. Don't want to start a Spotburning war. PM me if you are intrested,
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline Gfish69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2014, 05:05 AM »
Depending on how far you want to travel...... Maine is a good bet.....relatively close...within 3 hours of Boston. Plenty of cheap quality bait available. Better have a snow machine..... Quad didn't cut it in the deep snow last year. Different world up there.

Offline baitbig

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • bigbait
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2014, 09:26 AM »
It like watching paint dry but cant catch Giant  with out doing home work. Maine has more fish by far and locals will welcome you with open arms. Plus it seem Mass and Ct stocking program is pretty bad, might be slower then last few years.  Depends on time you want go. good luck  Call me anytime 8602371161.  ??? ??? ??? 

Offline fish fryer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2014, 01:47 PM »
how do you like gills we are planning a trip this year we want to stay on the ice for a couple nights any suggestions or info and best month  any info will help tks

Offline MeatBall413

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2014, 09:36 AM »
Gill's is hit or miss. Bring a sleeping mat for sure. Went up there 3 years ago and we  were in t-shirts chasing flags left and right. The next year it was slow at best with mostly bass and bowfin coming through the ice. Last year we hit timed a bad weather system perfectly and spent most of the time in the shanty crushing beers. It's a great time no matter what you get. We're going up again in February.
I always thought my buddies were being nice by letting me walk out first. Then I realized I'm a lot more buoyant than they are.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2014, 05:42 PM »
Gill's is hit or miss. Bring a sleeping mat for sure. Went up there 3 years ago and we  were in t-shirts chasing flags left and right. The next year it was slow at best with mostly bass and bowfin coming through the ice. Last year we hit timed a bad weather system perfectly and spent most of the time in the shanty crushing beers. It's a great time no matter what you get. We're going up again in February.
where can I find info on gills? Where is it?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2014, 07:44 PM »
Icehole your better off just staying  at Holiday Harbors on Rt. 2 and fishing on your own in my opinion. (You will be comfortable, I was up this October, Bruce runs a good operation.) They are right on the water.  Goldpin and I did a day trip to champ last year and  did fine with the pike without guidance. I can pm you the spot if your interested.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2014, 12:03 PM »
Icehole your better off just staying  at Holiday Harbors on Rt. 2 and fishing on your own in my opinion. (You will be comfortable, I was up this October, Bruce runs a good operation.) They are right on the water.  Goldpin and I did a day trip to champ last year and  did fine with the pike without guidance. I can pm you the spot if your interested.

I sent them an email, I have heard the most about Holiday, and they were the first to get back to me and you really cant beat the price. It will cost me as much in gas to make it there loaded up with friends and equipment in my jeep!

What is the food situation like? Nearby store? restaurant? or bring what you need?
And bait on site I would assume

Only thing left is a fishing permit, and knowing how many traps...
thanks for the info!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2014, 04:16 PM »
15 traps.  There is some stuff near holiday harbor food wise.  More in Colchester which is 35 mins south.  We brought  most of the food we needed.

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2014, 04:39 PM »
where can I find info on gills? Where is it?
We have stayed at Holiday Harbors the last couple years. Bruce and Joann have a top notch place. Right on the water with access to good pike waters. We have fished a few different bays and done very well in all of them. No real monsters yet 10lbs is the biggest but a lot of fish 5 to 8 lbs. No guides. Bruce will let you know where to fish. Will be back there in February.

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2014, 05:41 AM »
15 traps.  There is some stuff near holiday harbor food wise.  More in Colchester which is 35 mins south.  We brought  most of the food we needed.
15?! Wow. Cant imagine thay

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2014, 08:17 AM »
Good pub on South Hero Island about 20 minutes from HH. Good eats plenty of beer. Also a small place that has pizza and subs just North of HH but they do close early. Yes bait on site. Bruce also rents shanties if you want.

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline basst_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2014, 09:11 AM »
my best friend lives less then a mile away from on of the belgrade lakes. i havent ice fished it cuz he just moved there. but this winter ill be there for sure

anytips for a rookie pike guy. only been pike ice fishin once.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.