Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: In Line vs. Spinning Reels  (Read 2652 times)

Offline Drizzy

• IceShanty Rookie
In Line vs. Spinning Reels
« on: Oct 09, 2014, 12:21 PM »
I've always used spinning reels while ice fishing.  I've heard a lot about inline reels the last few years.  My understanding is that they cut down on line twist.  After sight fishing Boji the last few years I need to find a way to reduce my line twist.  What other advantages do inline reels have on spinning reels?  What is their drag like? 

Thanks.
-Drew

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: In Line vs. Spinning Reels
« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2014, 02:11 PM »
Line twist (to me) is the only real benefit of a straight line reel over spinning reels and that is pretty much why they made their way into the ice fishing demographic.  You also don't have to quite worry as much about line unraveling off the spool like it sometimes does with spinning reels.

A spinning reel can drop your line faster without getting some sort of birds nest effect and have good retrieve ratios as well.

I pretty much only use straight line reels for panfish just because I don't want to take any chances of my lure spinning when the fish are finicky.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2014, 02:38 PM »
If you fish shallow water line twist isnt so bad if you fish deep water it can be, I picked up a few old level wind reels up at a flea market for near to nothing, they work the same as the inline reels, when they first came out I didnt care for them to much so when I seen those old level wind reels I figured they would work the same way and they do and I like how the reel fits in my hand I like them better and they were real cheap and I always see them at yard sales and flea markets

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2014, 03:38 PM »
When you are talking inline reels there are three catagories to look at. One is the 1-1 fly reel styles, which are great for shallow water. Then you have the multipler reels such as the eagle claw, frabil 261, and the 13 fishing 6061. These reels generally have a free spool feature and a faster line retrieve like a spinning reel. Third you have the teardrop from 13 fishing. which is basically levelwind baitcast reel with a spinning reel stem coming out of the top.

In the end its all about what you want to spend and how deep you fish. I run the eagle claws and have gotten to the point where I no longer use any spinning reels. With the free spool and multiplier retrieve I just dont have a need for a spinning reel anymore. One thing about the eagle claw though, as soon as you buy it take it apart and clean out all the vasealine they use to lube it. I re lube mine with quantum hot sauce. This will greatly improve the drag and cold weather performance.

Hope this helps and tight lines

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline Hobie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2014, 04:25 PM »
I drank the kool aid and made the switch over the last couple years.  I use the 13 Fishing Tear Drop and 6061's exclusively so can not speak to the other in lines out there.  The drag on the 6061's is top notch.  Used mainly for panfish.  have hooked a couple bass and even northers with this setup and worked flawlessly.  The tear drop has only let me down when I was fishing outside my tent and the line would freeze up on the spool.  Not a big deal because I am usually in my tent.  Would recommend either reel to someone.  Only drawback is the price.

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2014, 08:35 PM »
I have the desire to try a inline reel this year so I started reading lots of reviews on IS. I came to the conclusion that the Eagle Claw was well liked for the price as well as the Tear Drop and 6061. But the later two are more $$ than I wanted to spend on another reel.

I set out to touch/feel a EC but they are no where to be found in the stores yet around here. So I started to look online and found that EC was selling some overstocked rod/reel combos cheap. I was able to get the Cold Smoke rod with a new inline reel for $19.99.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eagle-Claw-24-Cold-Smoke-Ice-Combo-with-Inline-Reel-ECCSIL24ULC-FILE-3-TK-/121443696464?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c469bbf50

So now I sit and wait for the mail man to knock on my door, and Jack Frost to visit my community.   ;)

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline fallfrenzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2014, 09:15 PM »
Keep in mind the weight you are fishing also. The big advantage of a straight line reel is letting you fish a light bait without having your line coil. It works really well for lighter panfish presentations. If you're fishing heavier baits, spinning reels work just fine. Throw a little barrel swivel on 8"-10" from your lure to eliminate the "spins" if you're having trouble with that.

Good luck and be safe

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2014, 07:46 AM »
I'm sure you watched the bull gills back away from your spinning jigs on West Okoboji. In lines will help with that but also watch how you thread your plastics on and how you hook live bait. They can also add to jig spin. Glad we have several options and price points. could try a schooley reel first to see how you like it before dropping more $$ on a higher end reel.

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline Handy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 12, 2014, 11:51 PM »
When I used my eagle claw I still got line twist from the raising and lowering of the jig so I went back to my spinning reels. I just know to take my time lowering my jig and make sure plastics are straight and 99% of the time what little line twist I have spins out quick. At least this works for me. I still use the eagle claw reel too.

Offline NEicebuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2014, 11:39 AM »
Has anyone heard anything about the no.8 tackle cgi inline?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2014, 06:54 PM »
Has anyone heard anything about the no.8 tackle cgi inline?

Yep they did plastic version of the 6061 with a fender. Personally, after looking at the plastic composite reels like the frabill, eagle claw, and No.8 CGI i have no idea why a person wouldnt pay a few dollars more and get the BB6061 from last year for $50. I know the composite material is strong enough..........it just seems so cheap.....

Offline NEicebuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2014, 07:05 PM »
I'm just stuck in the middle I cant make up my mind.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 03, 2014, 06:39 AM »
I'm just stuck in the middle I cant make up my mind.

Go 6061 then you have an upgrade program you can use in the future if you want to use it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.