Author Topic: No 8 Tackle Cold Gear Inline Ice Reel  (Read 22029 times)

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
No 8 Tackle Cold Gear Inline Ice Reel
« on: Oct 08, 2014, 09:28 PM »
I've been doing a lot of talking to the guys at 13 Fishing, and they have me sold on the new Tickle Stick!!  They're trying to talk me into pairing it with a No 8 Tackle Cold Gear inline ice reel.  It looks like a nice reel.  Anyone have any experience with them?  This will be the first inline I've used, and it looks like it has a lot of nice features on it for not a lot of money.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: No 8 Tackle Cold Gear Inline Ice Reel
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2014, 10:00 PM »
Reel will probably be decent for the money. I'd take a shot if they give you a discount on a package deal. First season reels usually very limited like the Eagle Claw inlines.

Offline jbuss79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2014, 10:23 PM »
Hey flatiron, I've go a couple of No. 8 rods and reels for the ice and for the open water and I don't really have anything bad to say about any of it. I have yet to use their in-line since it's new and ice stuff hasn't hit the shelves here yet, but I have a handful of in-lines and love them. I think a lot about their performance depends on what you're using them to fish for and what you're fishing with.

I bought a No. 8 rod and reel last season and then bought a second within a week. I'm a big fan of their gear and if it were me, I'd totally take a shot with it. Hope that helps.
jbuss79

Offline LateSeason

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2014, 10:45 PM »
I'm trying to make up my mind between the No 8. or a Frabill 371. 

Anyone seen or heard what the price on the 371 will be?

Online mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2014, 02:05 AM »
LateSeason, Frabill has the 371 reel listed for $69.99 on their website before shipping and taxes. Flatironfisherman  this past ice season I purchased No.8's Code Blue combo 24 inch rod ultra light action . The Code Blue reel is made from a graphite composite is 1 to 1 one on the retrieve rate and does not have a free spool feature. The reel you are interested in has free spool to my knowledge  and is a multiplier reel . (One turn of reel handle equals two or more revolutions of the reel.) I maybe wrong but think even with free spool it will take a while for a small jig to drop in the water column . Just my opinion any in-line rod/reel combo is best used in shallow water.

Steve

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2014, 10:42 AM »
Whats wrong with a geared inline reel for deeper water? Mine can drop a jig just as fast as a spinning reel can, and reel up just as fast too.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2014, 03:46 PM »
I'm trying to make up my mind between the No 8. or a Frabill 371. 

Anyone seen or heard what the price on the 371 will be?
If you haven't already bought a reel, you might want to consider the Frabill 261

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Frabill174-Straight-Line-261-Reel/1612335.uts
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline GWK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2014, 04:02 PM »
I ordered 2 of the no .8 tackle cgi reels. these are new for this year. to be honest they look like the same design as the frabil but the one thing I like about the no 8 is it has the fender skirt on top so you can palm the reel and still reel in. without the spool rubbing your glove. also no 8 tackle told me that the smallest jig will cause this reel to free spool and birds nest if you dont have the freespool tension adjustment,  adjusted right to the jig weight you are  using. the ratio for these reels are 2.7:1 and was told by no 8 that they are 6.0 oz. in weight

Offline LateSeason

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 09, 2014, 05:33 PM »
If you haven't already bought a reel, you might want to consider the Frabill 261

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Frabill174-Straight-Line-261-Reel/1612335.uts

I played with the 261 last year and wasn't impressed.  I didn't like the open spool since I pencil hold.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #9 on: Oct 09, 2014, 06:34 PM »
For me the inlines w/o the 'fender' are worthless for jign...my palm rests and rubs the spool affecting fighting a fish and simply reeling up.  I bought two of the eagle claws last year and have concluded they will only be used on my deadsticks or bobber rods.  Now, the new inlines with the fender are going to be very nice on jign sticks!  I just ordered two 15' 6061's and plan on getting two cgi's.  I like the low to no line coil of inlines and why I have several okuma fly reels on my panfish rods.  The multiplier and long stem just make them all the better.  I just hope the drag is smoother than that of the eagle claws or I'm going to have to find a replacement drag washer for them.  I even asked 13 Fishing if replacement washers were available the answer was no:(  I am convinced that the 13, frabill and eagle claw inlines are all produced out of the same factory overseas... They are just way to similar not to be.  Guess one could look into patent rights and see what the deal is.  All I know is I can't wait to the new 6061 to work on a my new custom rods I made!!!
BRING ON THE COLD!!!
]

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2014, 06:39 PM »
Hey flatiron, I've go a couple of No. 8 rods and reels for the ice and for the open water and I don't really have anything bad to say about any of it. I have yet to use their in-line since it's new and ice stuff hasn't hit the shelves here yet, but I have a handful of in-lines and love them. I think a lot about their performance depends on what you're using them to fish for and what you're fishing with.

I bought a No. 8 rod and reel last season and then bought a second within a week. I'm a big fan of their gear and if it were me, I'd totally take a shot with it. Hope that helps.
jbuss79

I plan on pairing this with the 23" SUL Tickle Stick with 2 lb mono, (or 1 lb fluoro.) This is going to be my set up for the small tungsten & tear drop jigs or any real light jigs for that matter.  I think I'm gonna jump on the No 8 CGI reel!!   ;D

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 09, 2014, 07:26 PM »
These inclines are so pricey and don't know what is the best overall package.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #12 on: Oct 09, 2014, 07:41 PM »
These inclines are so pricey and don't know what is the best overall package.

If the drag is smooth on the cgi's that would be the ticket!  Decent spinning reels are over 30 bucks.  I'm using reel seat handles on my rod builds just to be able to move reels around almost hastle free.  Just don't care for the cold snap bands...uncomfortable.
]

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 09, 2014, 08:26 PM »
I just ordered the No 8 CGI reel from Fish USA, and preordered the 23" SUL Tickle Stick!! :woot: :thumbsup:

Offline diesel2012

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 09, 2014, 08:35 PM »
I have a Code Blue UL rod/reel combo I purchased last year. I'm thinking about switching the reel out for the CGI this year. The reel I have now is good but I don't like the no free spool and 1:1. I think the CGI and Code Blue rod combo will be the way to go when it's all said and done with.

Offline jbuss79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 09, 2014, 09:50 PM »
I plan on pairing this with the 23" SUL Tickle Stick with 2 lb mono, (or 1 lb fluoro.) This is going to be my set up for the small tungsten & tear drop jigs or any real light jigs for that matter.  I think I'm gonna jump on the No 8 CGI reel!!   ;D

I think you'll be happy with it. I have 14 different ice rods and half of them have in-line reels. I use them mostly for pan fishing and trout. I really haven't had any issues with bird-nesting or tangling at all and all but two are pretty low-end as far as price goes. As a matter of fact, my $10 Walmart one I bought in a pinch out performs my Cabelas one hands down. I honestly believe that the line makes more of a difference than anything. I'll get by on the cheap for a reel but I won't for line.

Hope you catch a ton with it!

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 10, 2014, 06:26 AM »
Anyone know of a toronto area store that will have any of these reels? So far i have only seen the 1:1 bottom of the line ones.

Thanks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 12, 2014, 06:44 PM »
Anyone know of a toronto area store that will have any of these reels? So far i have only seen the 1:1 bottom of the line ones.

Thanks

I bought mine from FishUSA.com.  If you spend over $30 shipping is free!  Not sure how that will work in Canada, but, give it a shot.  Happy hunting!

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 12, 2014, 07:04 PM »
I just ordered the #8 inline reel with the 23" UL tickle stick for fish USA today. Hope this will be a deadly combo.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Oct 13, 2014, 03:27 PM »
Does anyone have any hands on experience with this reel? Just curious how the free spool operates, how smooth the drag feels, and just general quality impressions you have. I really like the "fender" over the spool!! Thanks!!  :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Oct 13, 2014, 07:47 PM »
Does anyone have any hands on experience with this reel? Just curious how the free spool operates, how smooth the drag feels, and just general quality impressions you have. I really like the "fender" over the spool!! Thanks!!  :icefish:

I'll let you know tomorrow.  That's when mine is supposed to come.

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Oct 13, 2014, 09:16 PM »
Hopefully I will let you know any day now.  It looks good. 

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 14, 2014, 11:38 AM »
Here's the scoop. It's an Eagle Claw reel with an added palm feature. The bait clicker extends up instead of out internally.  The star drag is bent inward and the handle is bent as well. Reel stem is longer than last year's Eagle Claws but this year's Eagle Claws stem is longer matching that of the CGI. No where does it state line capacity on the reel or on their sight. Sent a message on Facebook got a reply of you can put 200+ yards of 4lbs of line but we only recommend using 50 yards and 10 yards of mono backing. Biggest piece of advice is not fill it completely.  Eagle claw prints on theirs. 2lb 270yds 4lb 190 6lb 120. Reel is pretty much identical other than some cosmetics so I would assume CGI pretty much along the same lines. The bearing inside the CGI is reversible however doing this puts the palm fender forward on reel so that's why they are made in both left and right hand options. Both the Eagle Claw and CGI had smoother drags than last year's Eagle claw model only thing I could find different in the sealed bearing outer bearing ring had some small cuts in it.  Last year's was solid. Reels are definitely both manufactured in the same China factory without a doubt. Or at least most of the parts are and possibly assembled somewhere else in China. For the money it's a nice reel I'd call it even with the new Eagle Claw only it has the "integrated fender design" I'm not a fan of the Platinum and Gold colors looks Gangsta and I should probably wear boxers that extend out of my pants when using anything with that color combo lol.  Here's some pics enjoy! Last pic shows Eagle Claws stem length increase.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Oct 14, 2014, 11:46 AM »
Thanks!! They sure do look to be twins!!! ::)

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #24 on: Oct 14, 2014, 01:43 PM »
Thanks!! They sure do look to be twins!!! ::)

They sure do dont they!!  ;D
Thank You Stinkybaits!! Excellent job on the review, breakdown, and pictures!   :clap: :thumbsup:
Kind of wondered why I didn't get a reply to an earlier post I made this morning from one of the sponsors.   ;D :whistle:

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Oct 14, 2014, 01:53 PM »
They sure do dont they!!  ;D
Thank You Stinkybaits!! Excellent job on the review, breakdown, and pictures!   :clap: :thumbsup:
Kind of wondered why I didn't get a reply to an earlier post I made this morning from one of the sponsors.   ;D :whistle:
I'm still hoping we do Eddie!!  Seems odd they would ask for inputs if they didn't plan on responding!!! ::) I'm still thinking I may order one!!

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 14, 2014, 02:01 PM »
No problem retail wise there's about a 9 dollar difference for the added features. I didn't do a spin test but did tighten the star drag down all the way and loosen it until it got to the point it spins freely. Definitely seems a bit better than last year's model so maybe the small cuts in the outer ring in the bearing assembly make a difference I don't know for sure if that's it but without ruining the assembly completely couldn't give a definite answer. I do like the added length to both eagle claw and cgi reel stem. For the money decent inline reel. It's not the Black Betty 6061 by any means but for panfish and perch decent enough big toad walleye I would probably prefer the higher dollar models or decent spinning reel with a good drag. That's my own preference though.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Oct 14, 2014, 02:05 PM »
Thanks!! No $$$$ for the 6061 ::)

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Oct 14, 2014, 06:11 PM »
I just got mine in the mail today, and with a little tinkering and learning how to use the thing, I gotta say, so far so good!  My only complaint with the reel is a lack of instructions that should come with it.  I'm brand new to this style reel, and if you're like me, you look at this thing and say "what the heck?!"  Once I played with it a little and worked all the buttons I got the hang of it pretty easily.  All in all, I'm pretty pleased with this little reel.  Now I'm praying for ice so I can play with all the new toys!! ;D

Offline sgtski

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish all four seasons........ice time da best time
« Reply #29 on: Oct 14, 2014, 06:17 PM »
I just ordered the #8 inline reel with the 23" UL tickle stick for fish USA today. Hope this will be a deadly combo.

it will b.......fo sho ;D :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:
"You wanna know how I got these scars......." The Joker

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.