The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New to SW MT, ATV or Snowmobile?  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Fillet

• Team IceShanty Regular
New to SW MT, ATV or Snowmobile?
« on: Oct 08, 2014, 01:06 PM »
Hey Guys. just moved to Bozeman from South Dakota. I'm a little bit different than most people around these parts. I don't fly fish, I troll for walleyes. I don't ski/snowboard, I ICE FISH!

I figured I might find some people with common interests on here! I've been doing my research and am excited to start drilling holes in MT waters. In SD I fish almost exclusively off my ATV. Will I be able to fish most of the lakes with an ATV or will snow be a problem? If I need a snowmobile I figure I might as well start looking!

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New to SW MT, ATV or Snowmobile?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2014, 02:46 PM »
A wheeler should get you almost everywhere you would want to fish. There are no motorized vehicles on Hyalite south of Bozeman or on the Regulating Reservoir in the Helena Valley. I am sure there are other waters with similar restrictions and the snow depth in Northwest Montana may give you some resistance once in a while.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline theron86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2014, 07:20 PM »
I agree, a four wheeler will get you almost all of the places you need to go.  If you want to fish high mountain lakes, you definitely need a snowmobile.  If it were me, go with the four wheeler.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2014, 07:23 PM »
If you end up fishing Georgetown, slush can be a real bear. But typically you don't need to walk more than a 100 yards from your ride. Wheeler is beneficial on Canyon Ferry and place north and east of there :)

Online SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2014, 05:40 PM »
I use my ATV & UTV quite a bit on the hardwater. The quantity of snow we received last winter was a pain in the rear a couple times, but I managed. If I could afford a set of tracks, I would put a set on my ATV for the hardwater season. You should be fine with a ATV. Keep us posted & good luck to ya !!

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2014, 05:51 AM »
WILcraft...that is all...
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2014, 02:20 PM »
What happens in the willicraft when you get a foot or two of snow overnight?   It looks like a great icefishing tool, but like everything probably has it's limitations.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2014, 06:30 AM »
What happens in the willicraft when you get a foot or two of snow overnight?   It looks like a great icefishing tool, but like everything probably has it's limitations.

If you are going to use a Wilcraft in snowy areas, like NW Montana, the track wheels and skis are a must. Turns the rig into a whole different animal.  And by snowy areas, I mean places that get the wet, heavy stuff.  Powder snow, not so bad.  A lot of folks stud the rear tires when they live in windy areas where snow is blown off and you are left with bare ice, always a good idea anyway.  They are quite competent when set-up properly for the conditions you are likely to encounter.

And of course, the new, Hydrostatic 4X4 models basically eliminate all concerns about traction.  BUT, you will pay for that in weight and initial cost. 

Mike
www.howesfishing.com
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2014, 12:13 PM »
Mike-
Thanks for the response. After making that post last night I browsed through youtube videos of tricked out wilcrafts in action. As for the snow you get in the Flathead/ Seeley-Swan valleys----> At times it can be challenging for even a snow mobile. Do you have any videos of your machine in action on wet snow/slush conditions?

I attended college at the U of M and lived in Mission for a year. I spent 6 years of my life getting to know the greater Flathead region and still have just seen the tip of the iceberg. I really love the outdoor opportunity over there.  Every year I make a couple road trips to do some fishing, catch up with old friends, and do some hiking.

On a side note:
I really like what you've done in the past few years with the Perch Assault tourney circuit. Just wish I lived a little closer.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline NordicJigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2014, 01:20 PM »
I guess I can't speak for the specific Bozeman area, but up in NC Montana we very rarely get enough snow for a snowmobile to be your 100% go to rig. I bought a Yamaha Viking SxS that I can chain up if needed, but it suits me real well.

Offline Fillet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 2014, 10:37 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I will plan to stick with my ATV, at least for this winter. I've done some searching on FW&P but can't find a reliable source as to which bodies of water are closed to motorized vehicles in the winter. Anyone have a link they can share?

Offline NordicJigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 23, 2014, 02:55 PM »
I have asked a buddy that works for Montana FWP if there is such a document. All I find is motorboat restrictions.

Seems like I saw a post sometime back that listed bodys of waters with restrictions. Can't remember though if it was even Montana.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.