Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Glen Elder, KS  (Read 1231 times)

Offline swiafishingfool

• IceShanty Rookie
Glen Elder, KS
« on: Oct 05, 2014, 01:35 PM »
While Glen Elder Reservoir (Waconda Lake) isn't in Iowa, I would like any information on this vast body of water. Im planning on taking a trip to glen elder with my dad and father-in-law this year, and I don't know when to setup a time to go, or what pros and cons come with taking the 4 1/2 trip for 4 days.

Offline sdhuntandfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Glen Elder, KS
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2014, 11:11 AM »
One bit of advice, timing. Basically, some years they don't get any fishable ice, other years a month or more. You are at the very edge of the ice belt down there. It's a large lake, but the main lake is rarely ever accessible to ice fishermen because of the very lack of ice. I would say that less than 10% of the lake "normally" see's enough ice to venture out on.

It is not a place I would plan a vacation ahead of time on, unless you plan on towing a boat with you  ;)

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2014, 12:44 PM »
If I lived on that side of the state I'd head here instead http://ilovelakemac.com/

Catchin' Fish

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2014, 01:03 PM »
If I lived on that side of the state I'd head here instead http://ilovelakemac.com/

You won't see Bic Mac ice up very often either man - I haven't actually ever been able to fish it through the ice. There is some good fishing in that area in general though  :tipup:

Offline yakker13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2014, 08:07 PM »
used to live about 90 minutes from there. never fished it but deer hunted all around. Both Mulies and Whitetails can be had in that area. But for the fishing, tough ice as it often doesn't freeze over (except by the boat ramps of course) but In-Depth Outdoors went there in January '14 and slayed the monster crappies:

Offline swiafishingfool

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2014, 03:58 PM »
yakker..this is the video I had seen to make me want to try this vast body of water...I know the lake is huge but is there even a chance to fish it during the ice fishing season and is there anyone local I could keep in contact with incase the ice would be thick enough to get on it (even if it was a one week window)?

Offline yakker13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2014, 08:47 PM »
that video made me want to make the trip down as well but I figured the ice would be gone when I got there. Here's the link to the KDWPT park website, phone, and fishing report link (brush piles listed at the bottom of the fishing report page):
http://kdwpt.state.ks.us/news/State-Parks/Locations/Glen-Elder
Park Office – (785) 545-3345
http://kdwpt.state.ks.us/news/Fishing/Where-to-Fish-in-Kansas/Fishing-Locations-Public-Waters/Region-1/Glen-Elder-Reservoir
It is an awesome walleye lake as well. Didn't have a boat when I lived there so never got on it.

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2014, 09:28 PM »
Like its been said, the ice season there may be only 2-3 weeks, if none at all.  Last year some friends were there and caught several over 15".  The open water season this year has yielded some pretty terrible reports though, slow crappie fishing mainly.  The white bass have been good though.

I'm looking further west this year hoping good ice for Webster, Norton, or Kirwin. My retired uncle lives out that way and fishes those lakes throught the ice quite often, so I will have good ice reports when the time comes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.