The ice fishing North Dakota board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: I'm getting out the gear!  (Read 1360 times)

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
I'm getting out the gear!
« on: Oct 05, 2014, 12:10 PM »
Looks like it's time to pull out the ice gear and make sure everything is ready to go and fix anything that needs fixing.

I know that I have a couple of rods that need some line on them. I need a new rubber strap to hold the shoe onto my Jiffy as the other one finally broke after 17 or 18 years of use. I need to open up the ice house and make sure that the Fresh Cab I put in there has kept the mice out. I may look at ordering a new tent to put on it anyways as the old one not insulated and has a bunch of BB size hole from years of use.

Cliff

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: I'm getting out the gear!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2014, 12:37 PM »
It is that time ...not so much for tip ups and rods ...that's more of a November/December timetable for me ...but before that ATV got some  TLC ... my shelter got some holes patched... little mod for the Portable buddy heater and Frabill rod holders...got an idea how my catch cover rod holder is going to be placed along the Mag's Bait shelf  both are worthy investments  .....organize some gear/lures into species/size ..as well as making a smaller tackle pack for light weight trips . On the down hill slide from here on in ...I am sure to be rushing to get on first ice...after not accomplishing all the things I could have/should have done ....it wouldn't be first ice if I was total prepared and organized ..happens every year without fail ..like an ol friend looking forward to it as well as another great season.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2014, 08:47 PM »
I ended up getting a Clam Voyager at the end of last season for a good price. Im going to upgrade the push nipples and layer the ceiling with the reflex tape. Also looking to replace the bolts under the seats with a pin that I can remove so I can put the seats down when im done. Also going to instal some lights in it, upgrade some rods, and collecting more tackle. Unfortunately Ill be moving before we have good ice here but im looking at coming to fish Devils at least once.
"Did you  clip your barbs,  you remember to clip your barbs."

Offline schmidty

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice is nice
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2014, 09:40 PM »
I haven't gotten out the existing gear yet.  But in the last couple weeks I got a tip-up on clearance at Cabela's; picked up a Frabill hub shelter today for a good price off CL; and talked the wife into buying a '92 Arctic Cat to "get me out on the ice".  :clap:

Bring on the ice!!!!  :icefish:

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2014, 09:59 AM »
That's sweet!

Offline Retiredbum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2014, 10:32 AM »
Got my laker traps out today. And installed my flags, And lubed reels, And checked them out.  Just need ice, And a few trout to smoke.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2014, 11:05 AM »
I'm going to get out my gear in the next week or two and check it out.  Normally I have this done by early September but I've been busy building a new shed and getting my to do list done. 

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2014, 11:08 AM »
geez, my gears been taken out, gone over and packed up again at leasy 6 times since June!  ;D

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2014, 11:57 AM »
ive got a bunk bed in the spare room here so guess whats on the top bunk.my frabill commando full of gear with a bunch of misc.icefishing gear.hahaha.id keep it in the garage but thats wet and damp and black mold gets on everything.ive been leaning out my gear to lighten the load for this year.rhuematoid arthritis in the hip sucks.   

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2014, 12:07 PM »
ive got a bunk bed in the spare room here so guess whats on the top bunk.my frabill commando full of gear with a bunch of misc.icefishing gear.hahaha.id keep it in the garage but thats wet and damp and black mold gets on everything.ive been leaning out my gear to lighten the load for this year.rhuematoid arthritis in the hip sucks.   
I've got Art in the hips also! Some days he just doesn't even want to carry me!!  ;)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2014, 08:34 AM »
I feel you guys!  I got diagnosed with RA and Psoriatic Arthritis in all the joints in my arms, hands and legs in my mid 30's. Now that I'm pushing my mid 50's I take a shot every 2 weeks and a hand full of pills once a weeks. Walking and a Smitty sled makes the job easier on thinner ice and snow, then the 4 wheeler will be doing most of the work of pulling stuff on the thicker ice. RA and PA make it tougher to enjoy the things that we love to do but not impossible.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.