Author Topic: New ice auger  (Read 1155 times)

Offline TheManDJV

• Team IceShanty Regular
New ice auger
« on: Oct 04, 2014, 08:42 PM »
Hey everybody !!!!!!! Looking into purchasing a gas auger for the upcoming season , I'm upgrading from my old hand  strikemaster auger, was wondering what everyone would recommend for a first gas auger I don't plan on spending more than 500.... I don't need to blast 50 holes in an afternoon I just don't wanna exert all my energy drilling through the ice....duh so any input would be appreciated, see you guys on ice before you know it !
Flaaaaaaaaaaaag!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New ice auger
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2014, 10:07 PM »
Well if you have $500 to spend I would forget about a gas auger and get a propane model, no smelly gas to deal with they start on the first or second pull every time, I have a jiffy pro 4 and its the best auger I have ever owned hands down Eskimo just came out with one also but the only thing with the Eskimo is its new on the market so theres no reviews on them yet and one other thing about the Eskimo is they claim it to be a high compression motor higher compression motors tend to wear out quicker and it may also be a little harder to pull start  good luck with whatever you end up getting

Offline TheManDJV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2014, 08:57 AM »
thanks for the input i don't plan on spending close to 500 i should've put, i m looking into the 300 to 400 range,sorry for the confusion, wondering if anyone had a preference to the entry level gas augers, like maybe the eskimo power vs the eskimo quantum vs strikemaster chipper thanks again sorry to bother but noones on the ice yet anyway
Flaaaaaaaaaaaag!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2014, 09:07 AM »
Eskimo Stingray 33 $294.99 from FleetFarm, one of IceShanty's sponsors. Link is right at the top. I believe this is the smallest model made by Eskimo. If you don't need to burn through ice in 20 seconds flat, it'll work great. I'm planning on buying one myself.
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2014, 09:44 AM »
Eskimo Stingray 33 $294.99 from FleetFarm, one of IceShanty's sponsors. Link is right at the top. I believe this is the smallest model made by Eskimo. If you don't need to burn through ice in 20 seconds flat, it'll work great. I'm planning on buying one myself.

Love mine. Been through 34" of ice with it without a problem.  ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2014, 10:00 AM »
I bought the Mako 43cc with a 10" auger last season and I ran it just about all season with the 12" extension on it and not once did I feel it was under powered. It starts VERY easy and cuts ice like a hot knife going through butter compared to my buddies Jiffy 30, as a matter of fact he is now looking to replace that Jiffy with the Mako 43 for this season.

I can guarantee you will need a rest long before this auger will!

I paid $319.00 on sale last year for this 10" auger, The 8" was $349.00 (no brainer, The clerk thought is was a mix up with SKU numbers but it was advertised so I got it for that price).

Here is a pic of it with the extension on and still not through the ice....we fought up to 46" at the peek of last season.  :'(

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2014, 06:41 PM »
My suggestion would be an Eskimo Mako, they work great and are reasonably priced.  If you shop around you'll probably find a deal with free shipping, last year a few places did that. 

Offline Fishing_Machine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2014, 07:58 PM »
The Eskimo Mako is a decent gas auger.  I've been using one for quite a few years.  Mine has been very reliable, a couple pulls and your off and drilling.
It is heavy if your carrying it. 

I had an Eskimo Hammerhead many years ago and it was a beast.  Powerful but heavier then the Mako.  It had a blade set that allowed you to re-drill holes.
It came in handy when re-drilling inside a permanent shanty.  FM

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2014, 04:40 AM »
you have a hand drill and if you drill between10 and 15 holes a day you really might want to look into an electric drill attachment  battery drill  I brought 2 different setups last year the clam and a way cheaper adapter used my 18 volt  drill on both  I have a 6 and a7 in hand drill they both worked well about 10 holes with 7 about 13 to 15 with the 6 started carring an extra battery with the 6 was getting an average of 30 holes  a day and with adapter if really need another hole the handle goes back on in about a minute .       In our area we dont get thet much ice I still have my 8 inch stikemaster and maintain it for road trips but any where in the tristate area I go electric I may even go out on a limb this year and buy a third battery Lithiom just to see if it cuts more holes but I do agree if I was to buy another Gas auger it would be propane no gas spills no storage issues as far as gas going bad pretty pull the spark plug after last ice spray some WD40 in the cylinder put the plug back in and store it away till next season

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.