Author Topic: Fishing survey  (Read 4150 times)

Offline SoDakdick

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fishing survey
« on: Oct 02, 2014, 05:17 PM »
Just got home and found a fishing survey for the hills. I know mine is from when a creel person stopped and talked to me on Sheridan. She asked if we were catching what we were after. I told no because gf&p has not stocked walleyes.
Keep your stick on the ice we are all in this together.

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
Re: Fishing survey
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2014, 03:22 PM »
Where do you want them to be stocked? At a lake that doesn't have them already? I know there are some Hills lakes that could use them. Might upset the balance though.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline SoDakdick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2014, 06:34 PM »
Just in Sheridan leaving pactola and deerfield for trout fisheries.

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2014, 03:27 PM »
Now that the smallie population is taking off in Sheridan I don't know if there's room for another predator. Sure would be nice, tho, to not have to travel far for Walleyes. Oh well, Angostura is only an hour away.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline SoDakdick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2014, 08:08 PM »
yes but it doesn't have the best ice.

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2014, 03:22 PM »
That's true. I've heard that but never gone there because of that. I like Pike and Perch as much as I do Walleye so I just stick to the hills. I'm an equal opportunity fish-eater.  ;D :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline sdatver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2014, 03:29 PM »
And all they stock in the NE corner of the state is Walleye. I'd love to have more panfish lakes but all they seem to care about here is walleye.

Offline Allfishinnocatchin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2014, 12:44 PM »
I was talking with a GFP Fisheries employee at OCW about species and lakes. Walleyes in the hills came up, and he said they won't grow in hills lakes because of the number of days the water gets warm enough to trigger growth. They will live in cold lakes but they won't spawn or grow, it would just be put and take.

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2014, 12:59 PM »
And all they stock in the NE corner of the state is Walleye. I'd love to have more panfish lakes but all they seem to care about here is walleye.
I agree and will add to add more panfish to all eastern lakes

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2014, 01:23 PM »
I seem to run into lots of Smallies in NE lakes that probably didn't magically appear.  ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2014, 01:45 PM »
smallies are good eating  ;D

Offline sdatver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2014, 07:20 PM »
I seem to run into lots of Smallies in NE lakes that probably didn't magically appear.  ;)

It just amazes me that they stock millions of walleye in lakes in one county but 20 some thousand crappie state wide.  NE south dakota lakes have become as commercialized as pheasant hunting in south dakota.  Its all about the big out of state money I guess. 

Offline 43.69375-97.188485

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2014, 09:01 AM »
Does anyone know why they bother stocking bullhead? I cant think of any good reason

Offline icebomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2014, 11:55 AM »
Does anyone know why they bother stocking bullhead? I cant think of any good reason

One good reason...pike food

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2014, 12:45 PM »
From the discussions I've heard from the GFP at fisheries meetings walleyes in Sheridan will not happen.  They like the established warm water fishery they have there and do not see walleyes working well.  Pressure was the biggest issue, they didn't think a stocked population could handle the pressure the lake gets.  It would be essentially put and take. 

I trust their judgement.  They are the professionals. 

Offline 43.69375-97.188485

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2015, 01:48 PM »
One good reason...pike food

Doesn't seem like a good enough reason to stock bullhead.

Offline fireandice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2015, 04:41 PM »
GFP are not the professionals! They are horrible at game management whether it's fish or mammal they can't manage it to save their tail! I'd love to see a walleye lake in the hills at either Sheridan or Pactola, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Offline tornadochaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2015, 08:59 AM »
Doesn't seem like a good enough reason to stock bullhead.

Walleye eat a ton of bullhead when present.  Bullhead also grow fast providing a sport fishery.  Believe it or not, they taste good, and many people enjoy fishing for them.

GFP does a good job at managing lakes.  We have lakes managed for trophy walleye, we have lakes with pretty good potential for trophy musky, we have lakes for kids to fish, and we have lakes successfully stocked with perch and walleye; as well as lakes that produce big gills and crappies.
 When it comes to crappie and bluegill, it is what it is; those fish do best in certain types of waters, and most of the prairie pot hole lakes don't fit the bill.  I'd rather have a hand full of lakes that produce big crappies and gills naturally rather than a bunch of lakes with stunted fish like many are in MN. 

Walleye and perch are fairly easy to raise, stock, and they do good in the shallower more windswept prairie lakes. 

Offline Scoutn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2015, 09:44 PM »
We've been experiencing the good 'ol days here in SD for the past 30 years! 

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2015, 10:44 PM »
GFP are not the professionals! They are horrible at game management whether it's fish or mammal they can't manage it to save their tail! I'd love to see a walleye lake in the hills at either Sheridan or Pactola, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Sounds like because GFP don't so exactly as YOU would like them to do, they don't know what they are doing.  Maybe they are doing what is biologically sound and what MOST anglers on a particular water want them to do. 

ClearCreek

Offline waterfowlstocker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • not how deep you fish its how you wiggle your worm
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:08 PM »
plenty of walleyes in Orman

Offline SoDakdick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2015, 01:52 PM »
You know some of what you guys are saying is not jiving to me. For example that Walleye don't due well in deep cold lakes, so how would you explain large walleye that thrive in deep glacial lakes. I think GF&P do not want to deal with the fishing pressure. I talked with Craig Oyler about this and I agree with him that the only way they would take off is to make Walleye catch and release only for the first five or so years. Also making a slot limit that would protect the breeding stock would be beneficial.

Offline fishfeind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2015, 07:21 AM »
I think even then you could not keep walleyes in that lake.  To many people to close.  Even catch and release fish have a very high mortallity rate when caught in over 10'of water.
Getem caught

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2015, 08:37 AM »
You know some of what you guys are saying is not jiving to me. For example that Walleye don't due well in deep cold lakes, so how would you explain large walleye that thrive in deep glacial lakes. I think GF&P do not want to deal with the fishing pressure. I talked with Craig Oyler about this and I agree with him that the only way they would take off is to make Walleye catch and release only for the first five or so years. Also making a slot limit that would protect the breeding stock would be beneficial.
What do you consider a deep glacial lake depth wise?
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.