The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Hardsided Bobhouse  (Read 739 times)

Offline maisy22

• IceShanty Rookie
Hardsided Bobhouse
« on: Oct 02, 2014, 10:06 AM »
I finally decided to build a bob house. I always like to have one but heard the up keep is a bear. Can anyone tell me some of the finer points of Bob house up keep on the ice. I'm also looking to find out what people use for tie downs. I've been to Newfound Lake NH with it's winds and watch my portable with my son in it get blown down the lake. I plan on putting it on smaller lakes and pond nothing like newfound.I'm making a 4' x 6' x 6'high with metal siding and roofing with a shed roof. Making my runners out of 2"x10". I'm just starting to get material together. Any info would be very helpful Thanks ahead of time.

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
Re: Hardsided Bobhouse
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2014, 11:46 AM »
A good strong cable attached to the corners and a piece of 2x4 on tthe other end. cut a small hole in the ice to put the 2x4 into the water and pull tight to the bottom of the ice. good for the season when the hole freezes over solid.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline hockeynut12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2014, 12:32 PM »
If leaving out permanently, I would block it up at least 4-6" so you don't have to worry about it freezing in - at least right away. Just keep an eye on it. When you tie down the corners, make sure you use something you can loosen up if you need to jack it up higher.
I like to walk on water.

Offline maisy22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2014, 09:59 AM »
I was thinking heavy duty ratchet straps connected to eye bolt on house and 2x4 in hole. That way I would be able to lift it if need be. Do you think that would be enough?

Offline hockeynut12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2014, 01:37 PM »
It should be as long as no one messes with your straps. I have seen everything from rope to chains with pad locks, but ratchet straps will do the trick.
I like to walk on water.

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2014, 04:20 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't use ratchet straps.  Some one may decide they want to own them.  Just buy some inexpensive nylon rope (~$5.00) at Wally World and cut them if you need to move.

Make sure you put your runners up on ate least 2x4's.  The ice heats up around your shanty from thermal gain and warmth from use and melts.  Then it freezes back up and your sceggs will freeze in.  If you have them up on chunks of 2 or 4x4's you pull the house off and then you can wack the chunks loose.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline maisy22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2014, 07:52 PM »
your right! why people have to be a pain in the butt. Ratchets would work great both for strength and easy of raising. But I think I will take your advise and use rope. What do you guys think about using PT lumber for the floor framing and deck or would regular wood work fine with paint on it? I'm trying to keep the weight down if possible and every little bit helps. That way if I would like to move from lake to lake it will not be that bad.

Offline dane grasso

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2014, 07:26 AM »
 :whistle: I used pt on the runners and floor braceing then went down to lowes and picked up some cans of that flexiseel the whole bottom is rubber know 7x8 foot shanty :o
happy wife happy life

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2014, 08:34 AM »
If you want the frame on the bottom to last id use PT.  It might be heavier but.you won't need to replace it after it gets wet and dry and wet and dry and shrinks or warps.  The clowns that built the deck at my moms house used regular wood and some of it has shrunk by 1/2 inch.  Just my 2 cents.
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline maisy22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 06, 2014, 08:38 AM »
Dane
how many cans did it take? That is the stuff as seen on tv right

Offline maisy22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 06, 2014, 08:57 AM »
I also heard that pressure treated plywood like to delaminate. I will do frame with PT and coat with flex-seal.

Offline maisy22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 07, 2014, 09:29 AM »
Thanks for the help

I just saw that at the bottom of the community page there are all kinds of ice shanty that people built. I'm in heaven. Only problem is I have so many ideas I don't know were to start. It's going to be a good ice fishing season, I can't wait.
Thanks again

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.