The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Pop Up  (Read 2204 times)

Offline MadFisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Wish this was work....
Pop Up
« on: Oct 01, 2014, 07:46 PM »
Before I pull the trigger on a eskimo pop up I was wondering if anyone had one and what they thought about it.. Thanks.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Pop Up
« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2014, 08:23 PM »
I have the Eskimo Fatfish 949I and like it a lot.  The only "complaint" is the bag could be a better but I don't use it when I go fishing, just for storage during the off season.

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2014, 08:45 PM »
I have both the Quickfish 2 and 3. I'm a big guy and with another adult the Quickfish 2 was a little tight for all my gear, heater and 4 holes ect ect ect and only 1 door. The 3 is just right has 2 doors. NO complaints love them both. Just wish I would have got them sooner spent to many years sitting out in the cold.
Good Luck out there
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline MadFisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Wish this was work....
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2014, 09:34 PM »
Thanks for the info..

Offline forest_parker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2014, 10:01 PM »
I have the quick fish 6 and love it, it all depends on how many people you plan on fishing with and how much stuff you like to fit in.

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2014, 10:36 PM »
I also have a FatFish 949 and not only do I like it but all my fishing companions like & enjoy it as well!!

You won't be disappointed in the products.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 02, 2014, 10:58 AM »
I have the QF3I. OK for 2 people. Could fit 3 if no one is jigging. Used it a handful of times last year, noticed a seam in the corner of the skirt coming undone, probably due to operator error more than anything. Eskimo uses some of the better anchors also. If you have the coin and weight is not an issue, may I suggest getting an insulated model, no condensation from the ceiling when heating. Got mine at Glen's for $200, they always have an "end of the season sale" in mid-January.
It must be something in the water.

Offline wizzard77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 02, 2014, 11:47 AM »
I would also recomend an insulated one. It is a bit more heavy and bulky to haul around, but it's sooo nice not having rain inside the pop up.
My gramps always said that if you work hard at something it'll come easy

Offline northwoodstraveler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life is good...
« Reply #8 on: Oct 02, 2014, 12:08 PM »
I have a Quickfish 3 and it's great...I've been using it for 4 years and it's still in great shape! Buddy heater keeps it nice and warm and it's just right for 2 people and 1 large Black Lab  :)
The surest way for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing

Offline hockeynut12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 02, 2014, 12:27 PM »
I also have the 949. We had ten guys standing in it last year (no holes) just to warm up. Our family of 4 fishes in it with 2 holes no problem. We have had it out in high winds - as long as it's tied down, it's OK. It has held up well. Easy to set up and easy to take down. I am very happy with it. Others who have been in it have liked it as well. One guy liked it so much he went out and bought one. Good luck!
I like to walk on water.

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #10 on: Oct 02, 2014, 05:22 PM »
949 here ~ if it is in the budget I would recommend an insulated one ~ 949i

Offline MadFisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Wish this was work....
« Reply #11 on: Oct 02, 2014, 05:23 PM »
Is there anything you can do to prevent the condensation from building up. If not how bad is it, enough to get soaked.  Could you hand some plastic just asking..

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 02, 2014, 06:18 PM »
I get condensation in my hub shelter its a clam summit its 6x8 the colder it is the more condensation there seems to be thats the problem with propane if you dont keep it like a sauna its  not that bad and if we do get it I just wipe it down with a towel once in a while, I picked up a light- ceiling fan at dicks last year at the end of the season they say they help with it so I hope it does

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #13 on: Oct 02, 2014, 06:56 PM »
Is there anything you can do to prevent the condensation from building up. If not how bad is it, enough to get soaked.  Could you hand some plastic just asking..

If it is windy it is bearable, but sitting in it too long and it'll give you the chills because it makes you damp.  Insulated is the way to go.

Offline MadFisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Wish this was work....
« Reply #14 on: Oct 02, 2014, 09:49 PM »
Insulated it is.

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 02, 2014, 10:20 PM »
Rule of thumb for me is divide whatever it is "rated" for numbers wise by 3 to be very comfortable and by 2 to be mostly comfortable.  This applies for all pop-ups.

The QF3 is awesome for one person and tight for 2 (2 holes each).  The QF6 is awesome for 2 and comfortable for 3.  4?  I'll bring the QF3 as well and do 3 + 1.

Bought a FF9416 after the season ended last year and 4 in that should be no problem.

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 03, 2014, 09:14 AM »
I bought a shappell 6500 from llbean last year and i really like it.  Its large enough for 3 people comfortablly and 4 is nice if you keep the gear outside.  Definatley not rain proof though as the seems do leak, but for the price and the piece of mind that I can bring it back if it gets torn or something, I think its well worth it.

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 03, 2014, 09:42 AM »
I bought a shappell 6500 from llbean last year and i really like it.  Its large enough for 3 people comfortablly and 4 is nice if you keep the gear outside.  Definatley not rain proof though as the seems do leak, but for the price and the piece of mind that I can bring it back if it gets torn or something, I think its well worth it.

I was looking into buying the shappell 6500 but if it leaks forget it Maybe leaning towards 949

smitty :tipup:

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 03, 2014, 11:03 AM »
I didnt think any of the pop ups are rain proof.  Snow is one thing but i didnt think they were totally 100 percent waterproof. 

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 03, 2014, 02:08 PM »
I didnt think any of the pop ups are rain proof.  Snow is one thing but i didnt think they were totally 100 percent waterproof.
I have used Kiwi Camp Dry on my pop-ups. I spray the top and sides down to the windows and stay pretty dry. I do get condensation but thats just part of the game.
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 06, 2014, 07:50 AM »

I fished in my Clam Bigfoot 4000 in an absolute all day downpour. Must have rained 2 or 3 inches over the day and the Clam kept us dry as a bone. I had a tarp ready to throw over it, but it was watertight.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Oct 10, 2014, 11:41 AM »
949 is awesome, well made and easy to set up.

Offline Brookieslayer20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 16, 2014, 09:13 AM »
I also have a FatFish 949 and not only do I like it but all my fishing companions like & enjoy it as well!!

You won't be disappointed in the products.
how many people can u fit comfortably?

Offline Dan2397102

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Oct 18, 2014, 10:05 AM »
I bought a fat fish 949 loved the design , easy setup and all the space. But make sure that you buy it from a retailer that accepts returns. When I set mine up the shell had a cut in it 2-3 inch and the stitching was pulling apart in several spots to the point I could almost stick my finger through. I am sure that one was just a defective one and some day I will buy another fat fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.